• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TowRig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have never posted on here but just wanted to post to say THANK YOU to all of you that have put work into this thread!

I have a Job 1 truck and have been following this thread waiting to see another Job 1 truck use this method to get BlueCruise. When I saw it worked I went on the search for the mongoose tool.

That tool came in last night. At 8PM last night I started updating the truck. I had almost 20 updates that were needed. I finished around 4AM. No major issues. After all that I decided to take a "nap" for a few hours.

Once I got up I took it for a drive

8AM this morning I was driving down the highway using BlueCruise!

I did try calling some dealerships to do this before I decided to take it on. No one said they could. After how much babysitting I had to do with my truck I can understand the hurdles.

Note: this may have already been said but the one shortcut I was able to make is when you are updating via USB and it asks to restart I did the following.

Shut truck off
Opened door
Waited for light around USB port to go off (less then 10 mins)
Shut door
Turned on truck.

Was successful for me everytime. I did try starting the truck once before the light went out and it was unsuccessful.

So again THANK YOU!
Sponsored

Brad34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 3.5 Ecoboost Screw
OTA isn't exactly working right now, so how can Ford leverage it, especially with the pressure of a recall behind the update.

If they could deliver it OTA, I believe that their strategy would be to.

Someday OTA will be awesome. But it ain't currently.
If it's possible to deliver it OTA, I don’t see why Ford wouldn't. The dealer may still have to verify and mark the recall complete, but that would take a lot less time and money.

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Software isn’t out yet. That’s why there was no change. You’ll need to go back sometime after the 18th when the software is expected to be out.
Well recall notice and info is gone from FordPass app and the FordPass widget now so not sure if I agree. TRM update that was put out not long ago could have been the update with the TSB just now being released else why release a TSB at all? Not sure though if the dealer has to ultimately close it off though for it to clear as completed.

Last edited:

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Well recall notice and info is gone from FordPass app and the FordPass widget now so not sure if I agree. TRM update that was put out not long ago could have been the update with the TSB just now being released else why release a TSB at all? Not sure though if the dealer has to ultimately close it off though for it to clear as completed.
I guess we’ll see. I applied the same software on March 3. Mine still shows as recall pending. My concern for you is that the dealer reported your truck as complete and cleared the notice when they may not have installed anything and just signed off on it. According to an article in the Detroit Free Press, who reported on the recall, Ford wasn’t planning to send out letters to owners to schedule appointments until April 18. DFP doesn’t usually get auto industry news wrong.

EDIT: As for the earlier software release, that was actually in connection with SSM 50226 which was for a different issue. The software for that was scheduled for February 2022 and available for install at dealers in March. See attached. That’s what you installed. If it wasn’t, then the timing was a huge coincidence since the SSM went out late last year.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
Just another observation in regards to the VXNano. I updated my GWM and somehow it loaded the module scan to the ford database. Everything looked proper except the vin was in hex rather than ASCII. This caused me to lose SecureAlert and Horns/Lights features. So it looks like some features are based on vin and obviously if the Ford database has corrupt info, your not on the Vin list for that feature. Hince you dont get the option. Luckily @speedracercjr let me do a network scan with his Mongoose. Just doing the network scan cleared the corrupt data and i had SecureAlert and Horns/Lights features within 5 minutes of the Network scan. I wont be doing anything with the VXNano again as its just not reliable enough. It may be writing on the modules properly but the other half of the battle seems to also be the database which we know the VXNano fails.

Last edited:

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Just another observation in regards to the VXNano. I updated my GWM and somehow it loaded the module scan to the ford database. Everything looked proper except the vin was in hex rather than ASCII. This caused me to lose SecureAlert and Horns/Lights features. So it looks like some features are based on vin and obviously if the Ford database has corrupt info, your not on the Vin list for that feature. Hince you dont get the option. Luckily @speedracercjr let me do a network scan with his Mongoose. Just doing the network scan cleared the corrupt data and i had SecureAlert and Horns/Lights features within 5 minutes of the Network scan. I wont be doing anything with the VXNano again as its just not reliable enough. It may be writing on the modules properly but the other half of the battle seems to also be the database which we know the VXNano fails.
Yes. @iceman77 uncovered this issue early on. Instructions for the fix may be found here: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ecu-module-programming-guide-using-fdrs.8249/post-167846. A link to the fix may also be found in Appendix IV to the programming guide on page one of this thread.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Wasnt sure if this was posted. Has the procedure listed for updating to BLuecruise.
I agree that Ford has taken on a huge project with OTA. I believe it is a programing nightmare and from all the problems prove it. They will figure it out and it will become seamless. One thing I am wondering is how a OTA that takes a long time to load with only battery power will work. Or will it be a download and install when truck is running?
Yeah you mean like the IPMA as an example? It took me several hours to do that one in FDRS. I have no idea how that would work as an OTA. Must be sideloading as you're driving the vehicle and then updates after you shutdown and restart. Dunno.

Still....nightmare scenario.

Mike

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Can you add a USB extension to the Mongoose to be able to connect it to a desktop?

We have work and school issued laptops that are fairly locked down and not something I want to add FDRS to, and our personal laptop and iPad are old and do not meet the specs for FDRS. My desktop is powerful enough and my office window is right outside of our driveway so I could get my truck within 10-15 feet of my desktop.

Besides the inconvenience of going from inside to outside turn off/on the truck as instructed, any issues with this?

My dealer appointment to get unstuck is in the morning, but from reading on here I have about a 50% chance of them being able to do it correctly so I'm trying to figure out my plan B.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
Eng
A USB extension would probably work, but I found it easier to install Chrome Remote Desktop on the PC, carry it to the garage, and then connect to it remotely from a laptop to control it. This way you don't need to haul monitor, mouse, and keyboard to the garage, you only need a power cord local to the garage (you would need for charging your laptop anyway) and an ethernet cable if you don't have wifi on your desktop. Long ethernet cables are cheaper than long USB cables, and losing ethernet is a much safer fail mode than losing USB coms mid-flash.

Sponsored

Autofill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Can you add a USB extension to the Mongoose to be able to connect it to a desktop?

We have work and school issued laptops that are fairly locked down and not something I want to add FDRS to, and our personal laptop and iPad are old and do not meet the specs for FDRS. My desktop is powerful enough and my office window is right outside of our driveway so I could get my truck within 10-15 feet of my desktop.

Besides the inconvenience of going from inside to outside turn off/on the truck as instructed, any issues with this?

My dealer appointment to get unstuck is in the morning, but from reading on here I have about a 50% chance of them being able to do it correctly so I'm trying to figure out my plan B.
You may want to try an active cable or extender.

https://blog.tripplite.com/usb-cable-max-length?hs_amp=true

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
Yes. @iceman77 uncovered this issue early on. Instructions for the fix may be found here: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ecu-module-programming-guide-using-fdrs.8249/post-167846. A link to the fix may also be found in Appendix IV to the programming guide on page one of this thread.
Right, but honestly probably not the best option to keep scanning with the nano to try and fix. Seems like it tends to corrupt more modules or other data. That’s my observation anyway. If I didn’t have access to a Mongoose I suppose that’s the only way.

islandboy47

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Hey guys, I'm FINALLY starting this process with the Mongoose on a powerboost and I have yet to get anything updated, just got to the step where I have the toolbox open in FDRS and then I'm supposed to hook up the battery charger. I did that and I'm reading a low voltage - started at 11.9 and is now at 12.1 after waiting a while. I'm using an 8 amp charger. 2 questions - why the hell would my charge be so low on a new truck? I keep the key fob in the truck all the time, would that do it? Or is it a bad battery? I drive the truck every day. Also - is charging this thing at 8 amps going to take as long as I think it's going to? Maybe like 6 hours or so?

LariatGuy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
I finally had a chance to spend the day yesterday with a Mongoose and FDRS license. I have a 2021 job 1 and was hoping to finally get BlueCruise.

I had about 15 updates to install. There was no APIM update listed. All of the updates installed successfully with the exception of a GSM update that won't seem to go away and my Instrument Cluster Module. It gave me the attached error and then the update disappeared from my list. My sync version is still revision 244.

I saw a previous poster had a very similar issue a couple weeks ago and reported it solved, but I'm not sure what the resolution was. Any ideas on how to keep moving my updates forward? Thank you!!

Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS UpdateError

Last edited:

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I finally had a chance to spend the day yesterday with a Mongoose and FDRS license. I have a 2021 job 1 and was hoping to finally get BlueCruise.

I had about 15 updates to install. There was no APIM update listed. All of the updates installed successfully with the exception of a GSM update that won't seem to go away and my Instrument Cluster Module. It gave me the attached error and then the update disappeared from my list. My sync version is still revision 244.

I saw a previous poster had a very similar issue a couple weeks ago and reported it solved, but I'm not sure what the resolution was. Any ideas on how to keep moving my updates forward? Thank you!!

VIN: 1FTFW1ED0MFA94376

UpdateError.jpg

View attachment 45466

View attachment 45467
Did you follow the sequence of module updates shown in the procedure? Jesse-Infotainment may be able to provide some insight as to what needs to happen now. I can tell you that when I started doing my updates my Sync version was already at 244. Based on guidance I got from this forum (before the procedures got published) the sequence was GWM, TCU, and then IPMA, etc. and whenever another GWM update popped up, to always do that one next because the GWM is the key to everything communicating together. And then it was just whack-a-mole until they all got done.

Mike
Sponsored

Attachments

• 74.7 KB Views: 40
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0