• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ER Lightning- Cannot Charge Past 265 Miles?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thank you for that. I need to do some experimenting, which is pretty much what I do at work (engineer/patents).

The shock of yesterday is wearing off, but was real after over Thanksgiving weekend (warmer and local drive with a lot of regenerative braking, I "consumed" half the miles than I actually drove--drove 20 miles, but consumed only 10 battery miles. Two totally different scenarios with warmer weather and a lot of local driving with regenerative braking.

For my pre-conditioning, I can probably work in a window of 2 to 2.5 hours and set it up to pre-condition at my scheduled leaving time in the morning. That should give the app and the vehicle enough time to warm the batteries. Thanks again for the help and tips.
Sure.

One more point to throw you off though... :p

The EV driving history is USELESS. There are posts showing efficiencies that are comical, as well as driving distances that didn't happen. This carries over to the trip odometers not resetting sometimes.

Be careful in looking at this info as "data", it may be GIGO.

I did a trip recently where my Trip and Trip 1 (reset at the start) showed 3.0, yet I got 2.4, 2.6, ... Never anywhere near 3.0.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Sure.

One more point to throw you off though... :p

The EV driving history is USELESS. There are posts showing efficiencies that are comical, as well as driving distances that didn't happen. This carries over to the trip odometers not resetting sometimes.

Be careful in looking at this info as "data", it may be GIGO.

I did a trip recently where my Trip and Trip 1 (reset at the start) showed 3.0, yet I got 2.4, 2.6, ... Never anywhere near 3.0.
This feels like work, and by overthinking things, it is taking the fun out of the vehicle. I'll get over it and myself and be happy.

Now, onto a more pressing issue- how to mount the front license plate (dammit NJ!!!) without drilling holes. I see there are mounting brackets that go near the tow hitch, but I believe I have engineered a solution to that problem. Hope to have something to share in a day or two if it is not an epic fail--and it will be cheap.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
This feels like work, and by overthinking things, it is taking the fun out of the vehicle. I'll get over it and myself and be happy.

Now, onto a more pressing issue- how to mount the front license plate (dammit NJ!!!) without drilling holes. I see there are mounting brackets that go near the tow hitch, but I believe I have engineered a solution to that problem. Hope to have something to share in a day or two if it is not an epic fail--and it will be cheap.
Yes, have fun, drive it - that puts a smile on my face everyday.

Pro tip: put the driver screen into calm mode - to avoid too much info!

I also didn't want to drill mine too and have to install a front plate for our state's toll transponders - so I photocopied my plate and laminated it.

I could have a professional vinyl plate made, but it was $90 for a copy !
Ford F-150 Lightning ER Lightning- Cannot Charge Past 265 Miles? IMG_9715.JPG

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired

I also didn't want to drill mine too and have to install a front plate for our state's toll transponders - so I photocopied my plate and laminated it.

IMG_9715.JPG
Have fun, for sure. Especially when a hick in a hemi or a moron in a raptor pull up beside you at the light. While they’re still grunting and farting you’re 2 truck lengths ahead.

Sponsored

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
Just wanted to chime in with my experience. First off at 55 (i think, maybe 65) the epa range is 283 and you lose about and addition 10-14% each additional increase of 10 MPH. I drove about 450 miles over the last 2 days between 20-30 degrees and can confirm i was only seeing about 160 miles at 80%. I noticed the GOM was off a bit when i was driving 78 but as i backed down to 70 seemed to be a lot more accurate. I left one charger with 140 miles range and drove 90 miles at 80mph for about 50 miles before dropping to 70mph for the last 40. I arrived with 43 miles on the GOM. The next 90 miles i started with 160 miles and finished with 68 and that entire stretch was at 70mph with climate at 68 and fan on 1 with the heated seat at 1. The leg at 78 i averaged 1.3/1.4 miles/kWh and the last leg at 70mph it was 1.6/1.7.

Mixed driving at 20-30 degree temps I wouldn't be surprised to see the GOM saying 230 miles or less at 100%. I think the general estimate is 30% loss at those temps so 320x0.7= 224.

Sorry long winded.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just wanted to chime in with my experience. First off at 55 (i think, maybe 65) the epa range is 283 and you lose about and addition 10-14% each additional increase of 10 MPH. I drove about 450 miles over the last 2 days between 20-30 degrees and can confirm i was only seeing about 160 miles at 80%. I noticed the GOM was off a bit when i was driving 78 but as i backed down to 70 seemed to be a lot more accurate. I left one charger with 140 miles range and drove 90 miles at 80mph for about 50 miles before dropping to 70mph for the last 40. I arrived with 43 miles on the GOM. The next 90 miles i started with 160 miles and finished with 68 and that entire stretch was at 70mph with climate at 68 and fan on 1 with the heated seat at 1. The leg at 78 i averaged 1.3/1.4 miles/kWh and the last leg at 70mph it was 1.6/1.7.

Mixed driving at 20-30 degree temps I wouldn't be surprised to see the GOM saying 230 miles or less at 100%. I think the general estimate is 30% loss at those temps so 320x0.7= 224.

Sorry long winded.
1.3 x 131 = 170.3
1.4 x 131 = 183.4

230 / 131 = 1.76, which you never saw. So yes, less. ;)

OP
OP

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

IMG_9715.JPG
Here's my rig job, and I'm sure there are cleaner/better ways to do it, but his is what I could cobble together late night at Lowes/Home Depot (Lowes has a better selection and help).

Two Hillman 1/4 in X 20 Steel U Nuts (0.95 cents each)

Ford F-150 Lightning ER Lightning- Cannot Charge Past 265 Miles? 08913602

2 - 1/4" by 1/2" bolts
6-8 Washers.

The rounded nut fits perfectly in the mounting hole for the license plate.
Bolt from the back with sufficient washers.
There is a remnant from the back of the bolt that needs to be removed with small screwdrivers and needle nose pliers and vice grips. If you don't remove this, it could scratch the trim piece or the bumper behind the trip piece.

Lift the frunk lid. Use a putty knife to carefully make a small gap between the black trim piece and the bumper. Insert the clips.

Here is what mine looks like. I scratched up the black trim piece a bit, but it is hidden when the frunk is closed. I used one wire tie to secure the bracket low so that the bracket does not rattle in the wind . Secured with no holes drilled. Yeah, it's cheesy, but I did not want holes in my bumper.

Ford F-150 Lightning ER Lightning- Cannot Charge Past 265 Miles? Bracket

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
I understand the unpredictable life of a retiree.... but I query my wife as to when she/we need to get on the road the following day, then I set an approximate preconditioning timeframe..

BTW, this is my 90% range as of now, I am using lots of cabin heating and I accelerate like a teenager, our trip range is modest so I don't give care that it is low in winter, all will improve when warmer weather is back.

Ford F-150 Lightning ER Lightning- Cannot Charge Past 265 Miles? 1669866176349

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Have fun, for sure. Especially when a hick in a hemi or a moron in a raptor pull up beside you at the light. While they’re still grunting and farting you’re 2 truck lengths ahead.
THIS, is why I have range shrinkage...... never mind cold temps!

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I understand the unpredictable life of a retiree.... but I query my wife as to when she/we need to get on the road the following day, then I set an approximate preconditioning timeframe..

BTW, this is my 90% range as of now, I am using lots of cabin heating and I accelerate like a teenager, our trip range is modest so I don't give care that it is low in winter, all will improve when warmer weather is back.

1669866176349.png
Not much different on the opposite coast for a 0745 hrs scheduled preconditioned departure………currently 41 degF. My wife still works…..😎
Ford F-150 Lightning ER Lightning- Cannot Charge Past 265 Miles? 194603CB-33EA-44F1-8C57-4DE2CF75F014

Jeremybj

First Name
Jeremy Bjerke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat 511A
My truck when I picked it up from the dealership it showed 260 miles of range. I charged it when I got home and took it the next day. 80% gave me 180 miles of range. But it's cold up here, like 10 degrees or so right now. Wish the range was better in the cold....

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
I feel your dismay. I have the same thing although lucky for me I live in a temperate climate. Still 305Miles of range=
subtract 10% for the SOP off charging to 90%
subtract 10% for the OEM all terrain tires
subtract 10% because of my driving habits
Subtract 30-50 miles of margin to find a charger that works.

That gives 160-170 miles of useful range. I was considering the standard range truck- super glad I didnt go that way.

steve

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I feel your dismay. I have the same thing although lucky for me I live in a temperate climate. Still 305Miles of range=
subtract 10% for the SOP off charging to 90%
subtract 10% for the OEM all terrain tires
subtract 10% because of my driving habits
Subtract 30-50 miles of margin to find a charger that works.

That gives 160-170 miles of useful range. I was considering the standard range truck- super glad I didnt go that way.

steve
I think many people that buy standard range EVs over extended range EVs haven't thought through or understood cold weather impact. I know for a fact that people turn their near new vehicles in within a short period because they find out and are dismayed.

OP
OP

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think many people that buy standard range EVs over extended range EVs haven't thought through or understood cold weather impact. I know for a fact that people turn their near new vehicles in within a short period because they find out and are dismayed.
I appreciate your detailed thoughts in this thread.
We run our small business on a principle of total transparency.
Manufacturers of EVs would be well-served to adopt a similar principle. All we seem to see is the maximum advertised range, without a peep about how range will decline significantly in cold weather and with towing. The latter is an obvious impact, but it would not hurt (and maybe I have missed it) if in their advertising, there was at least footnote information on "expected" range in cold temperatures and towing certain loads.

With all that said, I am mildly disappointed but still thrilled with my Lightning. I am nowhere close to even thinking about turning in my Lightning. I was just a bit shocked earlier this week. The sting has worn off, and with the discussion here, it is easier to accept.
Sponsored