• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Estimates on 2022 lightning resale value in 2 years?

mr2urbo004

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Pro, Tow Tech,
I have Tesla and I think the F150 is better. Not the tech but the rest of it.
Sponsored

mr2urbo004

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alot of people have Tesla and brought the F150 and are very happy with it.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Why are there so many lightning for sale and people not holding longer than a year?
Cause people bought them thinking they could flip them for profit. They never intended to keep the vehicle.

Other than that, people's financial situation changes.

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra. Model Y and Lightning on order
But wont your get the fed tax credit? And you have the 2022 pricing which was 65k starting.
Already got my tax credit, truck was 75k out the door (has blue cruise option). I’m getting roughly 64k for it 6 months later. I’m moving to another vehicle that I won’t be happy with but it’s half the price until something new comes out that I will be happy with (cybertruck).

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alot of people have Tesla and brought the F150 and are very happy with it.
I had a tesla before the lightning and I think that tesla is way ahead of ford as far as EV’s go. I’m not a Tesla musk fanboy by anymeans, they are also freakin everywhere but my tesla was such a great car (Model Y) and this lightning has not been. I did buy the first year model though and Tesla in the beginning years had lots of issues as well but now are well sorted out, at least my model.

Sponsored

mr2urbo004

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 is a truck and uses all f150 parts. I mostly own BMW amd Mercedes and I can say the F150 is actually pretry nice, even the PRO version. I am not a Ford person at all and dont own American cars except for the Tesla. Tesla is like a Honda Civic now.

mr2urbo004

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Already got my tax credit, truck was 75k out the door (has blue cruise option). I’m getting roughly 64k for it 6 months later. I’m moving to another vehicle that I won’t be happy with but it’s half the price until something new comes out that I will be happy with (cybertruck).
Oh i see. I have reserveration for cybertruck and Chevy silverado and don't think it will be$40k. If i get my $7500 fed than $4500 ca rebate and business tax write off F150 will be $20k out the door. Don't think any of them can come close. Plus ford makes truck. Also using truck to power the house is a plus.

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh i see. I have reserveration for cybertruck and Chevy silverado and don't think it will be$40k. If i get my $7500 fed than $4500 ca rebate and business tax write off F150 will be $20k out the door. Don't think any of them can come close. Plus ford makes truck. Also using truck to power the house is a plus.
You got a very good deal then. I can see my model depreciating like a rock. As far as my specific vehicle, tech aside, tesla was still better, especially with the motors/drivetrain, it’s so smooth compared to Ford, every incline or decline the lightning is very jerky stopping/starting/slow speeds, it’s terrible. Build quality isn’t great either, my driver window/door has leaked from day 1, Ford doesn’t see anything wrong though. After I bought it, ford released that they have gone down in quality and will take 2 years to get things back under control. Overall for 75k I’m not happy, I would’ve been happier paying half the price for a pro though, I couldn’t find any pro/XLT that weren’t marked up to lariat prices which is why I went with that.

mr2urbo004

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You got a very good deal then. I can see my model depreciating like a rock. As far as my specific vehicle, tech aside, tesla was still better, especially with the motors/drivetrain, it’s so smooth compared to Ford, every incline or decline the lightning is very jerky stopping/starting/slow speeds, it’s terrible. Build quality isn’t great either, my driver window/door has leaked from day 1, Ford doesn’t see anything wrong though. After I bought it, ford released that they have gone down in quality and will take 2 years to get things back under control. Overall for 75k I’m not happy, I would’ve been happier paying half the price for a pro though, I couldn’t find any pro/XLT that weren’t marked up to lariat prices which is why I went with that.
That strange. My 2023 is really smooth. No jerkyness. Maybe they fixed the issue. Also the range is more than what it is said to be. My tesla range is very horrible. I waited 2 years to buy the truck from reservation.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Let's face it, you should have passed on the Lightning even before you bought it. Your first post speaks volumes. Feels like you went into this transaction with unrealistic expectations. Any new model in it's first year will have issues, regardless of the manufacturer. Whether you are unfamiliar with Ford, didn't take it for a test drive to see how it drove compared to a Tesla before you drove it off the lot, or didn't negotiate a better finacial deal, the end result is on you. Sell it, take the loss and move on.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That strange. My 2023 is really smooth. No jerkyness. Maybe they fixed the issue. Also the range is more than what it is said to be. My tesla range is very horrible. I waited 2 years to buy the truck from reservation.
Hopefully they did fix issues for 2023, that’s why I think my 2022 will depreciate horribly. In the warmer weather, I am getting good city range, but the winter was horrible, highway hasn’t been great and towing really kills it more than the tesla I had. I’m sure ford will make some good improvements over the next couple years, another reason I’m selling before I take a big loss (basically breaking even now factoring in the tax credit).

mr2urbo004

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hopefully they did fix issues for 2023, that’s why I think my 2022 will depreciate horribly. In the warmer weather, I am getting good city range, but the winter was horrible, highway hasn’t been great and towing really kills it more than the tesla I had. I’m sure ford will make some good improvements over the next couple years, another reason I’m selling before I take a big loss (basically breaking even now factoring in the tax credit).
I guess that makes sense. If i had to pay 75k i would be worry. I am not a truck person and hated gas truck. This F150L change my though about having a truck. I tow a trailer on my Tesla and it cut more than half the miles range on it. Hoping since I have a truck i wont need to use the trailer and that will help in range. But having android auto like my BMW x5 plugin and Alexa is pretty cool for the Pro model. Tech wise Tesla is better that probably why it better to have more than 1 car.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Why are there so many lightning for sale and people not holding longer than a year?
Cause people bought them thinking they could flip them for profit. They never intended to keep the vehicle.

Other than that, people's financial situation changes.
Some thought they'd flip them.
Some bought without doing research.
Some had no clue about electric vehicles, how they lose range in winter, etc.
Some were clueless that a first year vehicle is going to have issues.

I have to laugh at the "people's financial situation changes". Sure, that can happen to a tiny percentage. But let me relate too stories that shows that some people are just f'in stupid. Last year we bought our ordered 2021 Mach-E when it came in a year later as a 2022, and put the 2021 we bought (cancelled order) up for sale. Our dealership had none, and they knew mine was for sale, so they sent me a lead, a guy who wanted to buy a Lightning and a Mach-E. After a dozen emails, he said he "ran the numbers" and "discovered I not only can't buy both, I can't afford either, I have too much debt"... Another example - I found some undiscovered 2022 demos in my search. Put that on a FB page, got 1/2 dozen contacts. Clearly stated "$81,244". I had multiple people contact me, and then after a bunch of dialog say "I can't afford that". One said "we just had a baby and I can't afford an EV truck", like the baby that he had 6 months ago is a new thing.

Winter won't be changed for a 2023. Or a 2024, or a 2025...

Vehicles depreciate. You should expect to lose up to 30% of the value in year 1. Guess that's not known by most people.

mr2urbo004

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some thought they'd flip them.
Some bought without doing research.
Some had no clue about electric vehicles, how they lose range in winter, etc.
Some were clueless that a first year vehicle is going to have issues.

I have to laugh at the "people's financial situation changes". Sure, that can happen to a tiny percentage. But let me relate too stories that shows that some people are just f'in stupid. Last year we bought our ordered 2021 Mach-E when it came in a year later as a 2022, and put the 2021 we bought (cancelled order) up for sale. Our dealership had none, and they knew mine was for sale, so they sent me a lead, a guy who wanted to buy a Lightning and a Mach-E. After a dozen emails, he said he "ran the numbers" and "discovered I not only can't buy both, I can't afford either, I have too much debt"... Another example - I found some undiscovered 2022 demos in my search. Put that on a FB page, got 1/2 dozen contacts. Clearly stated "$81,244". I had multiple people contact me, and then after a bunch of dialog say "I can't afford that". One said "we just had a baby and I can't afford an EV truck", like the baby that he had 6 months ago is a new thing.

Winter won't be changed for a 2023. Or a 2024, or a 2025...

Vehicles depreciate. You should expect to lose up to 30% of the value in year 1. Guess that's not known by most people.
I wished I had better feature on the truck but I didn't want to pay double to get PAAK or leather seats and some of the other features that the Lariat has. But for the Pro model it does have enough to do the job. Also trucks and EV doesn't depreciate too quickly.

mr2urbo004

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Moral of the story: Do not buy a car you cannot afford especially something as new as the Lightning. (That means knowing that you may potentially lose the full amount you paid including interest). There is no way, one can objectively say that a Model 3 or Model Y platform is better than the Lighting Platform. Yes, the Teslas may be more efficient, but the ride quality, utility, comfort, built, maintenance, of the Ford is way better than Tesla. (I have not driven a Model X or S so I won't comment on that).

I also believe that 2022 Lightnings may have an advantage in the way they were built as there was additional "care" on the first lot of vehicles. In addition, 2022 have options that 2023 models do not have.

From a numbers point of view, people that bought a 2022 on a loan, may have a 1.99% interest rate(yes, I know... guilty of it), and selling and buying now would cost you 5-7% on the note. You would have to account for that in the depreciation. And if you say you can pay cash, then you are losing out on the secured 5% interest you can get now a days.

Bonus response

I had my 10k service and it was 39$ and it took 30 minutes...
Oh service isn't coverage on the truck? I am used to BMW don't have to pay for service for 3 years. Yeah I was not going to pay 8 to 9% on interest on a loan now. So I just paid it off. Only my tesla is finance at 1.99% and by the time i pay it off it will be less than $1k on interest.

But I am impress with the Lightning as I never liked Ford Vehicle but this feels like a tank. It is pretty solid and I feel like I can go off road or not worry about pot holes. Lol
Sponsored