• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Extended Range V.S Standard Range Battery

When ordering a lightning, will you order an Extended Range or Standard Range Battery?

• Total voters

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New F-150 XLT Lightning
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
So, a year ago, I decided I was gonna get a Lightning, I had a Perfectly fine 06' Taco 4x4 w/low miles. was planing on upgrading my solar on the roof. Day before Thanksgiving Some AHole, runs into me, and totals my beloved Taco. Got $ from Insurance, But to get the Lightning, It cleaned out My bank account. I figured I'm not going to Tahoe, so the Std range would be fine. I have been driving for the last 2 weeks, and NOW wish I had got the ER, and financed the difference....Just my 2 cents...
Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
ER is the only one that would do what I needed. I travel into remote areas and need a 200-mile drivable highway range in the dead of winter 2-3 times per week. SR wouldn't do it without DCFC twice (once out and once back) whereas the ER could do it even on the coldest days provided I kept my speed respectable. I also do a couple of road trips per year. My last one was an 800-mile winter round trip and took 4 DCFC stops in the ER (with destination charger in between). SR would have been 6 stops to stay in the comfort zone.

It depends on how you will use the truck. I did have a concern about the resale value of the SR in a few years when newer EV Trucks have an even better range. Not sure it will matter much to the right buyer though. SR does well for many people and is quite a bit less expensive.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Standard range is viable now that we’ll have access to Superchargers. Remember that you don’t need to charge more to go the same distance in an SR, you just need to stop more often. On a road trip that means stopping every 150 miles instead of 200. Most road trips that means one stop regardless. For longer road trips it might be more stops in the SR but your charge times will be shorter.

If budget was an issue I wouldn’t have too much concern with an SR unless i was regularly driving well over 100 miles/day.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Standard Range:
  1. Price is lower by a lot
  2. Don't drive a lot — after 1 year, rolled up 4,800 miles
  3. Don't plan to take long trips in the truck
  4. Don't plan to sell/trade-in for a long time
  5. ER would have come with moon roof, and I don't want that
  6. Didn't want Ford CSP
  7. Didn't want VTH

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
I guess it depends if not having 1 or 2 extra DCFC stops on road trips is worth $10k more. For me and my family, it wasn't (and an ER was $20k+ more for me as I'd have to go from my, well equipped, Pro SR to an XLT ER). It's been a perfect vehicle for my family.
I went with SR PRO due to the 🤩 cost . A 98kWh battery is still huge for a BEV. The technology and pro power packages were more important to me than ER. The technology is advancing so quickly, it’s too risky paying over $50k for an BEV after incentives. Future Lightnings will have to adopt the software defined route to enable the platform to scale. Features and functions will be primarily enabled through software, a result of the ongoing transformation of the automobile from a product that is mainly hardware-based to a software-centric electronic device on wheels.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jreed

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning ER Lariat Avalanche
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I purchased the Lariat with the extended range battery for one reason, I need the extra range. My family has a lake house 240 miles from my home in LA, which I drive to at least once a month. I have found that that if I drive conservatively (~70 mph) I can make it without stopping to charge. The SR battery could never make that trip without a charging stop.

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro ER
I was lucky enough to find and buy a Pro ER. Don’t regret it at all.

For me, I’d rather have the Pro ER than an SR XLT or Lariat.

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
How did you buy the Unicorn Pro ER?
Saw it on cars.com at a commercial truck dealer in NC. Cold called them and it was available for $55,000 and bought it right then and there.

Jaspernuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 mustang
Saw it on cars.com at a commercial truck dealer in NC. Cold called them and it was available for $55,000 and bought it right then and there.
Good price. There are a few around me, but they want 59,500. Waiting for a rebate then I'll pull the trigger.

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Have Pro SR, and love the truck. With that said, living in a cold climate and doing 2-3 road trips a year does give me the itch to see if I could trade up to an ER (if I can find a reasonably priced unicorn, ER Pro).

I think im coming to the realization though that all EV trucks aren’t great road trip vehicles for long road trips (over 600 miles) due to how long it takes to DCFC on a bigger battery.

Smaller more efficient EV’s travel 250+ hwy miles, and charge up to 80% in ~20-25 mins (thinking Model 3/Y), where trucks (even the Cybertruck, we’re learning recently) takes minimum ~45-60 mins (to get to 80%) due to the larger battery (adding at least couple hours to a longer trip vs smaller EV, in my experience)

In summary, if you’re really going to road trip frequently over 600 miles, I’d recommend a smaller EV or using the ICE alternative at least until the charging speeds significantly improve. Would love to hear what others think though

Sponsored

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
For me it was ER with no other options or SR with other added options. I couldn't afford both.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I have an XLT SD because of cost.

This is my first EV and I’ve had it for less than a month so I am having range anxiety. I mostly charge to 85% and I live in Bay Area California so I didn’t think I would get affected by cold weather. I traded a hybrid Maverick in which was more efficient because once it reached 200 miles, it would last three days before I petroled up. I really wanted the carpool eligibility of the Lightning and I had already gotten a ticket for using the carpool lane in a mere hybrid XD

Because of cost I originally wanted to get a bare bones Pro SD and I ordered one in August but Ford canceled it. Ford did not inform me and the dealer did not inform me which was infuriating! I only found out thanks to your Long McArthur You Tube channel! By the time I found out and spoke to the dealer, it was too late to order a Pro for 2024. Even if I found out on time, I couldn’t order a red one because the red Pros won’t be made in 24. In general it’s hard to find Pros and much less a red one. So I had to go a model up to the XLT and ended up going to the middle of nowhere to find a red XLT SD.

I would LOVE to have an ER and I might of payed for a Pro ER but even a Pro SD was hard for me to find. If I win the lottery I’ll definitely trade in for Pro ER and paint it Rapid Red or Atlas Blue or an XLT ER. I actually like the simple look of the Pro and I don’t need all the bells and whistles of the higher trims.
Koons Ford of Woodbridge has a 2023 Pro ER in Rapid Red.

Jaspernuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 mustang
I see used ER Lariats near me for 55k. I'm going to wait a year, these will be around 40k then. Prices dropping fast on used.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
ER because range is king!
If you charge your ER to 80%, and plug in again at 20%…
you could charge an SR to 90% and plug in at 10%, and actually enjoy MORE driving range!
The bottom line is, there’s really not a huge ER/SR difference in practical day-to-day range.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If you charge your ER to 80%, and plug in again at 20%…
you could charge an SR to 90% and plug in at 10%, and actually enjoy MORE driving range!
The bottom line is, there’s really not a huge ER/SR difference in practical day-to-day range.
OK. I left home this morning in my ER charged to 100% and preconditioned. Grandsons had basketball games all over the state. No charging available anywhere on the route. I got home tonight with 11% SoC and 24 miles on the GOM.
Sponsored