• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
I am certainly going to do it. The question is how far. For local towing to/from boat ramp for service (the boat normally lives on a lift - we're on the ICW in Boynton Beach), no issue. For our twice-yearly run to upstate New York, and go our Virginia oyster farm on the Chesapeake Bay, we'll see. The current plan is to take delivery of the Lightning, apply a full charge, hook up the boat, and drive I-95 at 55 mph to 50% full. If that’s 80 miles or more (doubtful, but possible), I’ll sell the 2021 King Ranch PowerBoost, which has only 150-mile between fuel stops towing ths rig. Otherwise, I'll sell the '19 MX, which is approaching end of warranty, and use the Lightning as daily driver.

This was our run south in December - averaged 5mpg, with the Tesla having far more range than the F-150 PowerBoost.

F150 with Tesla.jpg
Why not do the longer tow with the F350 in your sig? Should get closer to 10 and many more miles of range before refueling.
Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Why not do the longer tow with the F350 in your sig? Should get closer to 10 and many more miles of range before refueling.
Long story, but it's because the two Super Duties have to live at our farm, can't come to the Florida place due to HOA restrictions that preclude anything over half-ton. I tried, but got a violation notice on the third day, even though my F-350 is an identical paint scheme KR - and is the same size truck, just 2" taller. The HOA was having none of it, so I bought the PowerBoost to try to do a SuperDuty's job. Technically it can, but super-inneficient. A small turbo-charged engine dumps fuel when used to its max, while a big diesel just loafs, getting twice the mileage doing the same job. In hindsight I should have paid for off-site storage. We travel so much that a gated community is a must in Florida, and the positives come with these kinds of trade-offs. First world "problems."

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
Long story, but it's because the two Super Duties have to live at our farm, can't come to the Florida place due to HOA restrictions that preclude anything over half-ton. I tried, but got a violation notice on the third day, even though my F-350 is an identical paint scheme KR - and is the same size truck, just 2" taller. The HOA was having none of it, so I bought the PowerBoost to try to do a SuperDuty's job. Technically it can, but super-inneficient. A small turbo-charged engine dumps fuel when used to its max, while a big diesel just loafs, getting twice the mileage doing the same job. In hindsight I should have paid for off-site storage. We travel so much that a gated community is a must in Florida, and the positives come with these kinds of trade-offs. First world "problems."
Makes sense now, sorry I poked at it. Clever for trying to use a truck with the same color scheme.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
We scooped the CEO of Ford, LOL.

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
Having a Mach E for over a year, the placement of the charge port door is important. Tesla's placement at the corner works better than on the side like the Mach E.

A lot of Level 2 Chargers serve two spaces. If your charge port is on the left side just ahead of the driver's door, but you get the left parking spot then have to drag the cord around the front and hope it reaches the charge port. You will have a cable rubbing against your car for the time it charges.

Charging cords are heavy and most of them don't stretch very far.

Having a port on both sides is nice but I don't expect it.
one thing my tesla had so much better that most of the EV was the port placement

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
I am certainly going to do it. The question is how far. For local towing to/from boat ramp for service (the boat normally lives on a lift - we're on the ICW in Boynton Beach), no issue. For our twice-yearly run to upstate New York, and go our Virginia oyster farm on the Chesapeake Bay, we'll see. The current plan is to take delivery of the Lightning, apply a full charge, hook up the boat, and drive I-95 at 55 mph to 50% full. If that’s 80 miles or more (doubtful, but possible), I’ll sell the 2021 King Ranch PowerBoost, which has only 150-mile between fuel stops towing ths rig. Otherwise, I'll sell the '19 MX, which is approaching end of warranty, and use the Lightning as daily driver.

This was our run south in December - averaged 5mpg, with the Tesla having far more range than the F-150 PowerBoost.

F150 with Tesla.jpg
Nice set up, that's a heavy boat. Ever try taking plastic windows on the boat down while towing? You are definitely pushing a lot of air along the way. Beautiful rig that screams Vacation and fun!