• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
If we could pull up on either side then it wouldn't be a problem. It would just be nice if we had options, particularly because the vehicle will be plugged in for much longer than a car is at a gas pump.
Not sure why it matters how long you're plugged in (as an aside I use my cup holders a lot longer than charging). The last gas station on I-10 from AZ to CA always has long lines and enforces one way traffic so you really need to pull in to the lane that's convenient to plugging in. After spending many years with gas tank on the left, I had a car with gas tank on the right. It was annoying but I was able to stretch the hose to still be able to fill up. Once plugged in, it doesn't matter ig you are there for 5 minutes or 5 hours.
Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
If it was an option, how much would you be willing to pay for it? I might pony up for a few hundred, but I suspect it would be in the thousands.
I don't think they would need extra charging equipment (AC to DC converter/chargers), just the door/inlet and a parallel set of wiring. Then electronically interlock the charge doors so only one can be open (used) at a time.

Personally, I might be good or a least ahead with value if the second position just had a J1772 AC charge inlet as the biggest gain I see is flexibility in the garage since the truck is going to take up so much depth in the garage and pinch off convenient access around it. Of course that complicates the theoretical home back-up connectivity that uses full CCS port, so I guess I'd still consider both depending on actual cost to implement.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Do you plan to tow 9100 pounds with the Lightning? How far?
How many of these equals 9100lbs? And if I daisy chain them, I'll go as far as 5 (?) of these will get me.

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning Official EPA Range MPGe Revealed in Window Sticker (Base + Extended Range)! 1647619350453

*Note this is not a practical solution. Based on EPA numbers we're looking at consuming roughly 32kWh per hour of driving at highway speeds. It would take the entire day to generate that amount from this

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
To me, having access to a charging port on both sides of an EV makes abundant sense. Especially, if you envision the near-term future of DCFC real-world experiences and poorly located charging ports. And 'more especially', if you are towing. It would probably be even more convenient for home charging.

The world had this one chance to standardize delivering a new transportation energy infrastructure. Instead, we're going to have a wild west of 'wrong way' vehicles at busy chargers trying to get to cables that force them to try to go against the tide of other vehicles. When it's charging, each vehicle gums up the flow for a lot longer time than adding gasoline.
It’s no different for ICE vehicles at gas stations. Some have fuel fills on the driver’s side while others are on the passenger’s side.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Not sure why it matters how long you're plugged in (as an aside I use my cup holders a lot longer than charging). The last gas station on I-10 from AZ to CA always has long lines and enforces one way traffic so you really need to pull in to the lane that's convenient to plugging in. After spending many years with gas tank on the left, I had a car with gas tank on the right. It was annoying but I was able to stretch the hose to still be able to fill up. Once plugged in, it doesn't matter ig you are there for 5 minutes or 5 hours.
It can matter for how long and which side if there is a tight fit in a tight fitting garage. Park truck with front bumper almost touching wall then have a narrow walkway on each side. Add a cable sticking out of one side into the walkway. Now imagine that this side is the same side that you need to walk by to get out of the garage. Plugging in and unplugging to walk around the truck and get out of the garage can be annoying. Yes, this is a first world problem, but we drive EV for many reasons and charging convenience is one of them.

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
It’s no different for ICE vehicles at gas stations. Some have fuel fills on the driver’s side while others are on the passenger’s side.
Absolutely no difference, except that every vehicle will be there at least 30 minutes. Many will be unattended. Some chargers may be ICEd or OOS. You're not going to find long high-power cooled cables at EA or EZgo like Costco does gasoline hoses.

Currently, few DCFC locations are set up as pull-throughs like virtually all liquid fossil fuel dispensers. They may be in the future, but these trucks are being delivered to tow this year. You'll also be driving arguably a much larger EV than has been produced in large quantities. Next parking lot DCFC you see, imagine it being busy and trying to maneuver in there with 'wrong way charging port' with an F-150, then an F-150 with a trailer.

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
Absolutely no difference, except that every vehicle will be there at least 30 minutes. Many will be unattended. Some chargers may be ICEd or OOS. You're not going to find long high-power cooled cables at EA or EZgo like Costco does gasoline hoses.

Currently, few DCFC locations are set up as pull-throughs like virtually all liquid fossil fuel dispensers. They may be in the future, but these trucks are being delivered to tow this year. You'll also be driving arguably a much larger EV than has been produced in large quantities. Next parking lot DCFC you see, imagine it being busy and trying to maneuver in there with 'wrong way charging port' with an F-150, then an F-150 with a trailer.
This is all true. There was a serious lack of foresight in not making chargers pull-through and many being sized pretty narrow.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
It can matter for how long and which side if there is a tight fit in a tight fitting garage. Park truck with front bumper almost touching wall then have a narrow walkway on each side. Add a cable sticking out of one side into the walkway. Now imagine that this side is the same side that you need to walk by to get out of the garage. Plugging in and unplugging to walk around the truck and get out of the garage can be annoying. Yes, this is a first world problem, but we drive EV for many reasons and charging convenience is one of them.
If you're talking about your own garage (and not public charging), one would presume that you had some choice of where to place the charger for convenience. In that case, having EV charging port in the same place would be more useful (and cost effective) than having multiple ports.

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150, 2020 Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Occupation
Asset Management
Having a Mach E for over a year, the placement of the charge port door is important. Tesla's placement at the corner works better than on the side like the Mach E.

A lot of Level 2 Chargers serve two spaces. If your charge port is on the left side just ahead of the driver's door, but you get the left parking spot then have to drag the cord around the front and hope it reaches the charge port. You will have a cable rubbing against your car for the time it charges.

Charging cords are heavy and most of them don't stretch very far.

Having a port on both sides is nice but I don't expect it.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
If you're talking about your own garage (and not public charging), one would presume that you had some choice of where to place the charger for convenience. In that case, having EV charging port in the same place would be more useful (and cost effective) than having multiple ports.
Overly simplistic take. Consider having muliple EV's that want to utilize a common EVSE. There can be other layout issues as well - current position essentially requires me to back into garage.

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Overly simplistic take. Consider having muliple EV's that want to utilize a common EVSE. There can be other layout issues as well - current position essentially requires me to back into garage.
I have some garage constraints. I have multiple EVs. Front left works great. Rear left sticks out and gets in the way sometimes. It has nothing to do with where the evse is located and everything to do with where the plug goes into the car. With multiple cars in a household there is often no one best evse location. Picking a different house/garage is way more expensive than redundant charging hardware inside the car that allows flexibility in charging.

For public charging, if curbside, a plug on the passenger side of the car would be great. As stated by another poster, it it is a pull up spot with the evse located between two parking places stretching around the front of the truck can be challenging (on a 67 inch wide economy EV with the plug 2 feet back from the bumper wrapping around isn't so bad, but at 80 inches wide and 4 to 5 feet back the truck will be more challenging). None of this is impossible to workout, but extra hardware would make it easier.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
The cool thing for me is that the base Lightning range (230) is more range than my Mach-E AWD (211).

That's amazing, considering how much larger an heavier the F-150 is.

Meanwhile, Ford has always said their range was based on a 1,000 pound load, so my day-to-day range will be even better, which is why I didn't bother ordering the Extended Range.
Why amazing? Done with brute force, not efficiency. Just increased battery size...

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
So then a Lariat ER the same!? 320 would be nice, that’s what I’m getting with my Model Y, so I shouldn’t feel a difference with my driving routine.
charging will take longer - much bigger battery

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Do you plan to tow 9100 pounds with the Lightning? How far?
I am certainly going to do it. The question is how far. For local towing to/from boat ramp for service (the boat normally lives on a lift - we're on the ICW in Boynton Beach), no issue. For our twice-yearly run to upstate New York, and go our Virginia oyster farm on the Chesapeake Bay, we'll see. The current plan is to take delivery of the Lightning, apply a full charge, hook up the boat, and drive I-95 at 55 mph to 50% full. If that’s 80 miles or more (doubtful, but possible), I’ll sell the 2021 King Ranch PowerBoost, which has only 150-mile between fuel stops towing ths rig. Otherwise, I'll sell the '19 MX, which is approaching end of warranty, and use the Lightning as daily driver.

This was our run south in December - averaged 5mpg, with the Tesla having far more range than the F-150 PowerBoost.

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning Official EPA Range MPGe Revealed in Window Sticker (Base + Extended Range)! F150 with Tesla

Last edited:

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Off topic, but if anyone wants to know what winning looks like .... Look no further than pungoteaguedave. I mean this with respect.
Sponsored