• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FDRS Upcoming Updates Information

MikeYQM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost | 2013 BMW M3 Comp
I am not sure about ABS and GSM. Even though the FDRS networks scan corrupts the node information in your as-built, the truck runs its own version of network scan and reports it to the mothership periodically. This type of scan fixes all the glitches FDRS creates. Why ABS and GSM module keeps popping up is a mystery to me
I updated ABS and GSM a half dozen times or so, what centrally ABS went away. GSM still pops up.
Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
You APIM Strategy never got corrupted. Its the network scan result that gets corrupted when J2534 pass-through device is used. Apparently this is not an issue when VCM3 device is used. Here’s what I think happened in your APIM case: You ran network scan. The scan result comes back messed up for APIM. RFDS cannot match your APIM strategy revision (from network scan) against the online database, so it determines it is not up to date and offers update. You launch update, the APIM sw revision is validated again, this time directly, (not via networks scan), now it sees the module is up to date, it skips programming and jumps to configuring module (aka As-Built data reload). You can check the FDRS logs located in ProgramData directory. It is pretty detailed about what it does to your modules
I see. So is this an across-the-board limitation of the J2534 protocol itself or the VX Nano in particular? If it’s the latter, maybe it will be rectified in the future with a firmware update. If it’s the former, I wonder if Ford is getting complaints from shops using J2534 devices, since Ford has indicated that this pass-trough protocol is compatible with FDRS.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
I see. So is this an across-the-board limitation of the J2534 protocol itself or the VX Nano in particular? If it’s the latter, maybe it will be rectified in the future with a firmware update. If it’s the former, I wonder if Ford is getting complaints from shops using J2534 devices, since Ford has indicated that this pass-trough protocol is compatible with FDRS.
I'm thinking its the nano and fdrs. The pro one dealers use is about 1500bux.
I had so much crap today it was nuts. The scan this morn brought up about 8 dtc from over night for various mods. Count not get fdrs to clear them. Ended up using Forscan to clear them no prob. Then reloaded fdrs and they were clear.

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
i don’t think its the Nano device. It works great with ForScan, which also performs sort of a “network scan” when you intially run it. If you go to module section in ForScan after the scan is complete you will find all your modules revision read properly. I used the VCX nano to flash multiple modules and it never failed on me. Also I have flashed multiple configurations using ForScan with same results.

There is another J2534 pass-through device available on Amazon called “mongoose” and was heavily used by Mach-E users to update their modules via FDRS in their Job 1 cars. There is a lenghty thread (just like we have one here) on mach-e forums with multiple reports of random modules showing new SW version after network scan. So there you have it

I am suspecting the J2534 pass-through stack in FDRS is broken

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Again, I would not worry much about the “mangled” FDRS node report to your as-built dataset. Your truck will run its own “network scan” and report it to the mothership. All I was really paying attention to, that my GWM is reported properly. I suspect, that if GWM strategy info gets mangled up, your OTA gets disabled. So as long as you have your “Horn&Lights” buttons, “SecuriAlert” and “SW Updates” tab showing up in your FordPass up, you’re in good shape! Everything else will be taken care of by your truck eventually! Hope this helps!

Sponsored

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Again, I would not worry much about the “mangled” FDRS node report to your as-built dataset. Your truck will run its own “network scan” and report it to the mothership. All I was really paying attention to, that my GWM is reported properly. I suspect, that if GWM strategy info gets mangled up, your OTA gets disabled. So as long as you have your “Horn&Lights” buttons, “SecuriAlert” and “SW Updates” tab showing up in your FordPass up, you’re in good shape! Everything else will be taken care of by your truck eventually! Hope this helps!
Those are gone on mine. Ugh. Any thoughts? They were there before this.

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Those are gone on mine. Ugh. Any thoughts? They were there before this.
Here’s the simplest approach to fix this. Open FDRS, run “Network Scan”. Open FordPass, refresh (pull down sceen and release”). If you see your “Horn & Lights” button you’re all set. If not, shut down FDRS and repeat the entire procedure.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Here’s the simplest approach to fix this. Open FDRS, run “Network Scan”. Open FordPass, refresh (pull down sceen and release”). If you see your “Horn & Lights” button you’re all set. If not, shut down FDRS and repeat the entire procedure.
Believe me, I tried that at least several times and no go. If you can pull my history, it will show. I’m really trying. Im on my 2nd subscription on this.
There has to be something else I/we missed.

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Believe me, I tried that at least several times and no go. If you can pull my history, it will show. I’m really trying. Im on my 2nd subscription on this.
There has to be something else I/we missed.
PM me your VIN, I will pull your As-Built dataset and take a look.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. This is helpful. I wasn’t exactly worried. The Nano worked pretty well for me as well. I was able to fix my busted TCU with the Nano and FDRS that the dealer was going to rip out and replace once they could get their hands on a new one one. And the APIM updated fine, too. I was more curious about the cause of the wonky scans—the device or how J2534 plays with FDRS. It sounds like it’s the latter and Ford has some work to do to properly support J2534.

But you raise an interesting point about the GWM, in particular. Currently, everything seems in order. I have all of the FordPass functions you mentioned. But in the past, my truck seemed pretty low in the queue for OTA updates—I got them relatively late. I decided not to wait for 2.3.0 because my dealer said the TCU was wonky—it wouldn’t accept new firmware according to them—so I figured I probably wouldn’t get 2.3.0 OTA anyway and there would be no harm in trying to update TCU manually. Is that strategy sound for the GWM if a bad scan could cause the truck to lose contact with the mothership? Sounds like the prudent move might be to wait until 2.4.1 makes it to my truck, regardless of how long it takes. Is there too much risk in this particular case if the GWM scan goes bad?

Sponsored

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Thanks. This is helpful. I wasn’t exactly worried. The Nano worked pretty well for me as well. I was able to fix my busted TCU with the Nano and FDRS that the dealer was going to rip out and replace once they could get their hands on a new one one. And the APIM updated fine, too. I was more curious about the cause of the wonky scans—the device or how J2534 plays with FDRS. It sounds like it’s the latter and Ford has some work to do to properly support J2534.

But you raise an interesting point about the GWM, in particular. Currently, everything seems in order. I have all of the FordPass functions you mentioned. But in the past, my truck seemed pretty low in the queue for OTA updates—I got them relatively late. I decided not to wait for 2.3.0 because my dealer said the TCU was wonky—it wouldn’t accept new firmware according to them—so I figured I probably wouldn’t get 2.3.0 OTA anyway and there would be no harm in trying to update TCU manually. Is that strategy sound for the GWM if a bad scan could cause the truck to lose contact with the mothership? Sounds like the prudent move might be to wait until 2.4.1 makes it to my truck, regardless of how long it takes. Is there too much risk in this particular case if the GWM scan goes bad?
Here’s how you can test if your truck talks to the mothership and reports your module information: download your as-built dataset and store it as a baseline: Then, next day, or few days after download it again and compare the file against your baseline. If the file content changed, your truck is reporting module info and your are all set. You should be getting OTA whenever one is available shortly.

EDIT: Don’t run Network Scan in FDRS, as that will change/update your As-Built as well and such change can throw you off

Last edited:

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Here’s how you can test if your truck talks to the mothership and reports your module information: download your as-built dataset and store it as a baseline: Then, next day, or few days after download it again and compare the file against your baseline. If the file content changed, your truck is reporting module info and your are all set. You should be getting OTA whenever one is available shortly.

EDIT: Don’t run Network Scan in FDRS, as that will change/update your As-Built as well and such change can throw you off
As built like the one in fdrs? That file is long and huge.
or do you mean in Forscan?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Doesn’t FDRS automatically run a network scan as soon as you log into FDRS? Or, as @BHunted1 asked, are you talking about FORScan?

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Mothership…. Lol. I started a trendy word. ?