• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Last weekend we took our first road trip from Raleigh, NC to a family get together in Myrtle Beach, SC. We almost didn’t take the truck because there are only two DC chargers in Myrtle and looking at Plugshare they both seem to be broken. After some more planning we decided to take a chance.

The plan was to drive to the EA charger in Lumberton, NC and get back to about 85% and then stop again 20 miles down the road at the last working DC charger and top off again. According to ABRP that would put us in Myrtle with about 45% left. Worst case we might need to spend an hour or two at a level 2 charger to get back to the DC charger going home.

One thing we learned is that ABRP is pretty conservative. It estimated we would be at 39% when we got to the EA charger but we were actually over 50% when we arrived. We were the only ones there and the charger we picked peaked at 130 kW so we were able to get to 82% pretty quickly. The second stop was 20 miles down the road at a small gas station so we grabbed some snacks and pushed it back to 84%. ABRP was set to get us to Myrtle at 45% but again we beat that and had nearly 60%. At that point my range anxiety had almost disappeared but things got better still.

After we checked into our condo I moved the truck to the parking deck and noticed that there were 120V outlets throughout the garage. I parked next to one and plugged in my mobile charger. I was able to leave it on level 1 charging both nights we were there and picked up over 20%. Even after driving around town we left with over 70% charge. We were able to skip the 50 kW charger at the gas station and go straight back to the EA charger.

When we got to the EA charger there were only 2 of the 4 stations working. There was a Rivian at one and an ID4 at the other with a second ID4 waiting. The Rivian left right as we pulled up and the second ID4 moved over. Luckily he only needed about 15 minutes to get enough to get home and then we were able to get enough charge to make it in another 20 minutes.

Looking at the logs the highway portions of the trip added up to 346 miles and we averaged 2.24 miles/kWh which is a lot better than expected. Most of the trip was on I40 and I95 with some US highway and state roads at the Myrtle Beach end. There is a lot of construction on 95 but I kept the cruise control between 70 and 75. It was a successful trip and it went a long way toward curing me of any range anxiety.
Sponsored

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Nice numbers - I didn't get near that when I drove home from Holden Beach to Raleigh last sunday night - my drive log didn't record the trip but it it teetered on 1.7-1.8 mi/KWh the whole trip - doing exactly the speed limit on I40.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Nice report and experience!!
Did you make any adjustments to the vehicle profile in ABRP app?
Maybe make some adjustments to reflect your seasonal MPK or Watts/Mile

OP
OP
carys98

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Nice report and experience!!
Did you make any adjustments to the vehicle profile in ABRP app?
Maybe make some adjustments to reflect your seasonal MPK or Watts/Mile
I bought an OBD dongle but I didn’t get it in time to set it up before the trip. I actually connected it on the trip home so I’ll get real time data from now on. It looks like it has already updated the reference consumption based on the trip home.

OP
OP
carys98

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Nice numbers - I didn't get near that when I drove home from Holden Beach to Raleigh last sunday night - my drive log didn't record the trip but it it teetered on 1.7-1.8 mi/KWh the whole trip - doing exactly the speed limit on I40.
Curious where you charged in Holden. There seems to be a few level 2 chargers near there. The only DC options are the Harley dealer in Shallotte that seems to be broken or the one in Downtown Wilmington. Did you use the one at the Mad Boar on the trip?

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Curious where you charged in Holden. There seems to be a few level 2 chargers near there. The only DC options are the Harley dealer in Shallotte that seems to be broken or the one in Downtown Wilmington. Did you use the one at the Mad Boar on the trip?
There is 1 ChargePoint L2 on the island. But not much else. I’ve never used any around there though. I own a vacation rental house there so until can get get my plug installed under the house I just run a RV extension chord from the stove to underneath the house where the truck is and charge with my mobile charger.

In the summer I could make the trip easily starting with 85% charge. This time I charged to 95% and had about 15% remaining when I got home.
Sponsored

Last edited: