• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Gave Me 2 Level 2 Chargers

Gaffer

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Motion Picture Lighting Designer
So I got my Extended Range Lightning XLT last week and the dealership sent me home with a Wallbox Pulsar Plus charger. Then today I got a package from SunRun with a Ford Station Pro unexpectedly. I just read online that ER models come with the Ford Station Pro, the dealership never mentioned this and I wasn’t aware, so seems odd they also gave me the Wallbox. Obviously, not complaining, just glad I didn’t already pay someone to install the Wallbox. May sell it or install it at work. Out of curiosity, anyone else have this happen?

If I had a serious question for the community, anyone use the Ford Station Pro to charge a non Ford EV? We also have an Ioniq 5, I assume it’ll charge it without a problem, but wanted to make sure.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Gave Me 2 Level 2 Chargers IMG_6280
Sponsored

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
Do you have a 100A circuit available? If so, choose the Ford unit, which will charge your ER at 80A. If you don't have panel capacity for 100A there's no real advantage to the Ford unit, and I'd advise selling that one and installing the Pulsar, which will charge both (likely at 40A or 48A on a 50A or 60A breaker respectively). The Ford unit has an 'extra' set of pins for the Home Integration System (that nobody seems to like and is really expensive) so you may need an adaptor to get it to fit the Ioniq. Congrats on the truck and bonus charger!

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The fcsp comes included with ER versions and was shipped by Sunrun automatically.
It can be configured to fit almost any panel as it has internal hardware setting to reduce the amperage, mine is set for 48a on a 60a breaker and it works great.

Your dealer must have had some promotion for the wallbox.
The wallbox is rated for 40a and looks like it uses a nema plug.

Personally, I would install the fcsp and keep the wallbox as a backup/2nd location charger.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The Wallbox must be a dealer promotion. It didn’t come from Ford.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
The fcsp comes included with ER versions and was shipped by Sunrun automatically.
It can be configured to fit almost any panel as it has internal hardware setting to reduce the amperage, mine is set for 48a on a 60a breaker and it works great.

Your dealer must have had some promotion for the wallbox.
The wallbox is rated for 40a and looks like it uses a nema plug.

Personally, I would install the fcsp and keep the wallbox as a backup/2nd location charger.
I have a wallbox plus that looks just like the one pictured above. It charges up to 48 AMPS
The app has been flawless. I’d recommend it to anyone.

You’ll need to check the sticker to see if you have the 40 or 48 AMP version

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I have a wallbox plus that looks just like the one pictured above. It charges up to 48 AMPS
The app has been flawless. I’d recommend it to anyone.

You’ll need to check the sticker to see if you have the 40 or 48 AMP version
Ah, I thought it was the plug version. Either way, good choice! I'd still keep both.

quentinkessel

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightening, 2003 Tundra, 1953 Jeep
Occupation
retired teacher
My dealer forgot to order my Lightening, and when it finally came they insisted I pay about $700 for the charger that I insisted should have come free with the truck. Months later Sunrun sent me a second charger. I returned the second charger to the dealer and they refunded my earlier payment.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
To answer one of your questions, I have been unable to charge a Tesla Model Y using the multiple adapters from Amazon (from FCSP to Tesla adapter) and connected to the FCSP. I gave up and installed a 240v outlet separately for my wife to charge her Tesla. There are many threads and I'm not sure if someone else got the FCSP to charge anything other than a F-150. My only experience was with the Tesla. Before someone suggests it, I even throttled down the FCSP to 32 amps and even lower (opened the cover of the FCSP to dial it down) but was unable to initiate charge. It clicks and doesn't charge.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The FCSP can charge any EV that has the full CCS1 combo port (J-1772 + DC pins). There are only a handful of EV that can take the full 80 amps, the ER lightnings being one of them. Lucid is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head.

The wallbox will probably have a better user interface than the FCSP, if that matters to you. Ford's cloud has had numerous issues maintaining connection to the FCSP via FordPass app.

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
If you don't think you'll ever need 80A of charging capacity (you'll never get home with 20 miles left at 11pm and need to drive 250 miles at 6am the next day) then sell the CSP on ebay while it still has value.

The new ER trucks no longer have the capability to charge at 80A + there is no use case for the Home Integration System + other companies coming out with V2X capabilities = CSP is functionally dead

Sponsored

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
FCSP with its combined CCS setup is nearly impossible to use on a plain jane J1772 equipped EV/PHEV etc.

I sort of was unaware of that -- installed the FCSP for my bothers Lightning, was planning on testing with my RAV4 Prime (which I had used to ferry my tools, wiring to his home). I was incredulous. Like, why was this not mentioned earlier?

Ford=STUPID when in comes to the FCSP. I envision pulling that box back off the wall at some point and just using some reliable 48A capable unit.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Unless you really want/need to charge at 80 Amps or want to install the extra hardware for home power backup, the Ford Charger isn't worth it. It's known to be a bit flakey at times and it does not play nice with certain EVs that don't have a CCS charge port. It's essentially impossible to charge an EV or PHEV that only has a J1772 port and a Tesla needs you to modify a J1772 adapter to fit the CCS...

If that is the 48A capable version of the Wallbox, install that one and sell the Ford unit. The Wallbox can be direct wired and they're good chargers.

...Just a warning selling the Ford unit. Lots of them out there for sale so you won't get much.

OFP

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Platinum Lightning
To answer one of your questions, I have been unable to charge a Tesla Model Y using the multiple adapters from Amazon (from FCSP to Tesla adapter) and connected to the FCSP. I gave up and installed a 240v outlet separately for my wife to charge her Tesla. There are many threads and I'm not sure if someone else got the FCSP to charge anything other than a F-150. My only experience was with the Tesla. Before someone suggests it, I even throttled down the FCSP to 32 amps and even lower (opened the cover of the FCSP to dial it down) but was unable to initiate charge. It clicks and doesn't charge.
This may get lost, but this is the charger I got for my partners Y and the adapter. Since we only have the one wall charger (I bought and installed ahead of time not realizing Ford sends one).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BP1GM76?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C7MN8LZ2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Charges flawlessly. All very basic and factory settings aside from charging times for the truck or the Y.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Another vote for selling the Ford unit and using the Wallbox. Too many issues with the FCSP app. And the connector and cable are too bulky for L2 charging. 48 amps is plenty juice. I lived with the FCSP for a year before I sold it and switched to a smaller unit. Best upgrade I made.
Sponsored