• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Had to call for a fob to start the Lightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Folks, that's why we have cargo shorts. Plenty of pocket space.
So wait! Now you're telling me that I have to buy cargo shorts to drive a Ford EV? Salesman never told me that.
Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
we need fingerprint or facial recognition to be added. screw paak

OP
OP

Thunder1809

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Engineer
I carry the FOB, PAAK is a carnival trick until it's designed properly, I use it for the convenience of moving the truck out of my garage to pull out the lawn equipment, etc, but NO WAY am I venturing further than a block or two relying solely on the PAAK system.

BTW, did you have a recent update on your truck, recent update to the phone?

I'd suggest a complete reboot of the phone to eliminate any gremlins from that perspective.
I got a new phone a couple weeks ago and set it up to work with the Lightning and has been doing fine until the incident. I could lock and turn off the alarm with my FordPass app on my phone, but just could not start it or use the backup code.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
we need fingerprint or facial recognition to be added. screw paak
Just.... No. But I do agree with "Screw PAAK"

I will take PIN to start requirement though, key fob or not, as a security precaution

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I always carry my fob with me in a Faraday cage I bought on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4DNQZ34/ but I found the following about "No key detected!"

In the ten months I've owned my Lightning, I've often gotten the "No key detected" while using PAAK. What I've found works ~100% of the time for me on my iPhone 14 Pro Max is just to launch the FordPass app and make sure it has focus, i.e., it's the app showing on the phone screen. The "No key detected" usually goes away shortly after that and PAAK works again (I only remember one or two times where I used the fob, which was probably because I was too impatient to wait). I normally run my iPhone in low-power battery mode, where background apps aren't allowed to run (much), so that may be part of my "No key detected" incidents. Now, because State Farm's Drive Safe & Save app wants full-power mode for its app, I switch my phone to full-power mode when going for a drive.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
This constant "I'm right, you're wrong" debate on a subjective issue is dumb. Folks are sharing possibilities on how to use the features of the truck and helping OP. Your entitled to an opinion but there is no need for shaming folks who want to use PAAK.

If you think PAAK is worthless then ignore this thread and move on.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
"I hid my fob in the truck" is going to go over well with the insurance company.

No matter how clever your FOB hiding place is, the thieves will find it.
This is exactly why I hide my fob outside of the truck, in my wife’s purse.

Thieves will never find it and the truck at the same time. And if they do, that means she left her purse in the truck, with the keys, making it her fault.

Foolproof. Or as she would say, proof I’m a fool.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
"I hid my fob in the truck" is going to go over well with the insurance company.
Insurance exists for when people do dumb stuff.

Also, PaaK is great and no one can convince me otherwise. The FOB is as useless to me as a separate garage door opener. YOLO!

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Math. I just don't see thieves ransacking a truck looking for a fob. Only a tiny fraction of us are even hiding them. That means the other 99%+ of vehicles don't even have a keyfob to find. Now if you leave it out in plain site, then yeah, they're going to break in and get it.

Now maybe don't hide it in the same place as a gun or other valuables (e.g. console vault). Because that's what they are looking to steal. They find a keyfob - bonus.

So find a place they won't bother to look. Like a Kleenex box or inside an old Statler Brothers 8-track tape.

Last edited:

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
I’ve only had two issues with PaaK since enabling it:
  1. PaaK stopped working with walk up approach and unlock. It seemed to be a Bluetooth issue because I toggled BT off and on on the phone and it started working again.
  2. PaaK stopped working and the BT toggle did not help - in this instance I had to reset the FordPass connected services PaaK ONLY and add the phone again, it started working immediately after re pairing.
Hope this provides some helpful information.

Stanjj

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Consultant
I had this happen last night and wonder if anyone else has had it happen. I didn’t see any other posts, but maybe I missed it.

I have used the PaaK since nearly day 1 except when I had my kids drive the truck and taking it into the dealer. It has worked pretty well and I never have worried about being stranded, until last night. Drove it during the day about 35 miles away and back to my garage. Ran down to the store after dinner and everything was fine until I came out. My door wouldn’t unlock so I thought no big deal I would use the door code since I have had to do that a few times when my phone didn’t connect and I have had to use the backup passcode to start the Lightning.

Except this time when I pushed the button and got the message there was no key detected I thought no big deal, I would just put in the passcode on the main screen. I entered it and I got some error, don’t remember what it exactly said. No big deal, would just try it again. Got the same error. So then what do you do? Thought I could start using the FordPass app. But that wasn’t working either. So I open the door and my phone says the alarm will sound, and the horn and lights start flashing. Only thing I could think was to hit door lock on my phone and the alarm did stop. But then when I went to open the door the same thing happened. Then the message on the screen said 2 failed attempts to start and I would need a fob or something. I don’t remember all the errors as I was getting more pissed every time I tried

Luckily I was only about a mile from the house so I called my wife to bring a fob to me, trapped in my truck. Guess I could have got out and locked it with my phone, but was pissed and couldn’t do anything, just sat in the dark.

Truck started fine with the fob in the parking lot and when I got home I tried it with the backup passcode and it worked fine. I’m now unsure if I need to carry a fob in my backpack to work just in case. And what about when I am going to be 30+ miles from home out riding my mountain bike and don’t want to carry the fob and just use my phone or the codes?
Yep cut off the truck at the drive through window at the bank. Had the line shut down for 20 minutes until wife’s fob arrived.
Sponsored