• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Had to call for a fob to start the Lightning

Thunder1809

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Engineer
I had this happen last night and wonder if anyone else has had it happen. I didn’t see any other posts, but maybe I missed it.

I have used the PaaK since nearly day 1 except when I had my kids drive the truck and taking it into the dealer. It has worked pretty well and I never have worried about being stranded, until last night. Drove it during the day about 35 miles away and back to my garage. Ran down to the store after dinner and everything was fine until I came out. My door wouldn’t unlock so I thought no big deal I would use the door code since I have had to do that a few times when my phone didn’t connect and I have had to use the backup passcode to start the Lightning.

Except this time when I pushed the button and got the message there was no key detected I thought no big deal, I would just put in the passcode on the main screen. I entered it and I got some error, don’t remember what it exactly said. No big deal, would just try it again. Got the same error. So then what do you do? Thought I could start using the FordPass app. But that wasn’t working either. So I open the door and my phone says the alarm will sound, and the horn and lights start flashing. Only thing I could think was to hit door lock on my phone and the alarm did stop. But then when I went to open the door the same thing happened. Then the message on the screen said 2 failed attempts to start and I would need a fob or something. I don’t remember all the errors as I was getting more pissed every time I tried

Luckily I was only about a mile from the house so I called my wife to bring a fob to me, trapped in my truck. Guess I could have got out and locked it with my phone, but was pissed and couldn’t do anything, just sat in the dark.

Truck started fine with the fob in the parking lot and when I got home I tried it with the backup passcode and it worked fine. I’m now unsure if I need to carry a fob in my backpack to work just in case. And what about when I am going to be 30+ miles from home out riding my mountain bike and don’t want to carry the fob and just use my phone or the codes?
Sponsored

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I keep a key fob in the truck vault in one of this incase PAAK fail.

Ford F-150 Lightning Had to call for a fob to start the Lightning IMG_9659

awilli1010

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 lightning, 22 maverick, old ass Harley.
Occupation
Retired Army, retired Government employee.
Same. Keyfob in faraday bag locked in console vault.

Sponsored

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
Same, except that I’m thrifty (ok, my wife says I’m cheap, but who wants to judged) and just wrapped the FOB in aluminum foil and put it in a ziplock bag. Works fine and it looks like part of my lunch that I forgot about and left in the center console if anyone ever breaks into the truck.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yes, Mach-E and Lightning owners have had this exact same experience. PaaK, with backup code, is not a 100% guarantee that you will be able to drive the vehicle.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I took the battery out of one fob and locked the fob in the console vault. Taped the battery in a concealed spot. Even without the battery in the fob, you should be able to start the truck in the 'Magic Spot' under the cup holder closest to the console.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I've had it not connect with my phone as well, I usually cycle Bluetooth and/or power to my phone to fix the 'no key detected issue'. I should probably carry a fob, I'm currently a few states over with just PaaK, guess I'm The trusting type lol.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
As others have said it’s wise to keep one of your fobs in the truck. Put it in a Faraday bag or remove its battery.

The other situation this will help is if you are away from home and the truck needs to go in for emergency service. You’ll have a fob to give dealer / tow truck driver.

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I use PAAK but I ALWAYS keep my fob with me. I've seen this happen too many times in these messages boards. I hate how big and bulky the fobs are, but, it is what it is.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I carry the FOB, PAAK is a carnival trick until it's designed properly, I use it for the convenience of moving the truck out of my garage to pull out the lawn equipment, etc, but NO WAY am I venturing further than a block or two relying solely on the PAAK system.

BTW, did you have a recent update on your truck, recent update to the phone?

I'd suggest a complete reboot of the phone to eliminate any gremlins from that perspective.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If you don't carry the fob, and get a flat, unless you have the key blank that came with the truck, you won't be able to access the spare (assuming you have a spare tire lock - 2022s).

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Two questions:
  1. For those who rely on PAAK and carry FOB, what's the point?
  2. For those who don't carry the FOB, what's your plan if you get a flat and need the key to unlock the spare?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
If you don't carry the fob, and get a flat, unless you have the key blank that came with the truck, you won't be able to access the spare (assuming you have a spare tire lock - 2022s).
Or got the dealer to install the lock on the 2023 (I did).
Sponsored