• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Had to call for a fob to start the Lightning

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
For those who don't carry the FOB, what's your plan if you get a flat and need the key to unlock the spare?
See posts #2-6, 10, 12.
Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I some times need to move my truck while home and realize I left my phone inside, I always just use the passcode.... until the one time the keyboard refused to pop up.

My wife carries a fob in a faraday pouch in her purse, but I take one with me if I am going far, but around town I figure someone could rescue me.

Can ford roadside assistance do a remote full start for you if you call them?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I some times need to move my truck while home and realize I left my phone inside, I always just use the passcode.... until the one time the keyboard refused to pop up.

My wife carries a fob in a faraday pouch in her purse, but I take one with me if I am going far, but around town I figure someone could rescue me.

Can ford roadside assistance do a remote full start for you if you call them?
Remote start does not let the vehicle be driven. Must have PaaK, FOB, or the passcode.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
See posts #2-6, 10, 12.
As I said, what's the point? You are already carrying the FOB. Just to prove that you can use PAAK? And spend extra on a faraday bag?

Note that when MME was originally shipped, it only came with 1 FOB on the premise that PAAK would serve as a replacement for FOB. Ford eventually gave up on that and had to give out a 2nd FOB.

PAAK is fine if you just need to move you vehicle a short distance, but using it full time is just an extra complication without any advantages.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I only use PaaK. Key for spare in center console box. Never had a problem (knock on wood). Fumble fingers means that typing in code would take me half dozen tries to get right.
But I like the idea of fob in aluminum foil in truck. Maybe in storage under back seat.

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
As I said, what's the point? You are already carrying the FOB. Just to prove that you can use PAAK? And spend extra on a faraday bag?

Note that when MME was originally shipped, it only came with 1 FOB on the premise that PAAK would serve as a replacement for FOB. Ford eventually gave up on that and had to give out a 2nd FOB.

PAAK is fine if you just need to move you vehicle a short distance, but using it full time is just an extra complication without any advantages.
I was replying to your question #2, you are thinking I replied to question #1. I agree with you on question #1.

But if you want to ask whats the point on question #2 also, here's my answer: The point is I'm not carrying a fob in my pocket. I have used PAAK full time since Oct 2022 with only a couple of quirks. More than makes up for not having to put the fob in my pocket. I love it. It's not to show off or a carnival trick. I genuinely love the freedom from the fob.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why are y'all putting your fob in a faraday bag? I use PAAK and keep the fob in the truck as is. What am I missing?
Bingo.

The fob inside the vehicle is disabled, i.e. the truck is locked when you depart. If someone breaks in, they can find a fob, with or without battery, and use it to start the truck.

"I hid my fob in the truck" is going to go over well with the insurance company.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Two questions:
  1. For those who rely on PAAK and carry FOB, what's the point?
  2. For those who don't carry the FOB, what's your plan if you get a flat and need the key to unlock the spare?
The truck has the spare "Key" in the glove box for unlocking the spare. No FOB required.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The truck has the spare "Key" in the glove box for unlocking the spare. No FOB required.
Some don't have it.
Some put it in their house with other stuff.
Some don't know it exists.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I've come to the conclusion that Ford does OTA updates while the truck is running which sometimes temporarily kills PaaK. If you are on a longer run of 10 minutes or more, sometimes the truck will complain that there is no key after you are moving and it goes away after a few minutes (I assume an OTA update is in progress). The access issue has only occured for me on the short runs, perhaps when the update doesn't have time to complete before I need to get back in the truck (ie. down around the corner to pick up milk).

It's happened several times on my Lightning and my wife's MME but has never left us stranded for more than 10 (frustrating) minutes. I've found that after a few minutes trying to get in, I walk away (mostly to cool down), restart my phone and then walk back to the truck and it works again. I don't know if restarting the phone is required to clear the brains, or if there is an update that needs to finish on the truck, however, this process has worked for me so far. Thank goodness it has only happened a few times in 2 years.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Also, if you ever need a tow, you need a fob with the truck.

Paak is a convenience thing for people who put everything on their phones and like to rely on a single delicate device for their daily lives.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had this happen last night and wonder if anyone else has had it happen. I didn’t see any other posts, but maybe I missed it.

I have used the PaaK since nearly day 1 except when I had my kids drive the truck and taking it into the dealer. It has worked pretty well and I never have worried about being stranded, until last night. Drove it during the day about 35 miles away and back to my garage. Ran down to the store after dinner and everything was fine until I came out. My door wouldn’t unlock so I thought no big deal I would use the door code since I have had to do that a few times when my phone didn’t connect and I have had to use the backup passcode to start the Lightning.

Except this time when I pushed the button and got the message there was no key detected I thought no big deal, I would just put in the passcode on the main screen. I entered it and I got some error, don’t remember what it exactly said. No big deal, would just try it again. Got the same error. So then what do you do? Thought I could start using the FordPass app. But that wasn’t working either. So I open the door and my phone says the alarm will sound, and the horn and lights start flashing. Only thing I could think was to hit door lock on my phone and the alarm did stop. But then when I went to open the door the same thing happened. Then the message on the screen said 2 failed attempts to start and I would need a fob or something. I don’t remember all the errors as I was getting more pissed every time I tried

Luckily I was only about a mile from the house so I called my wife to bring a fob to me, trapped in my truck. Guess I could have got out and locked it with my phone, but was pissed and couldn’t do anything, just sat in the dark.

Truck started fine with the fob in the parking lot and when I got home I tried it with the backup passcode and it worked fine. I’m now unsure if I need to carry a fob in my backpack to work just in case. And what about when I am going to be 30+ miles from home out riding my mountain bike and don’t want to carry the fob and just use my phone or the codes?
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  
Sponsored