• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Remote start using key fob?

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Anyone figure out if there's a way to remote start the truck using the key fob? I find using remote start from the FordPass app really slow and clunky.

The manual makes it sound like it's possible to use the key fob, but the directions seem to be for the ICE trucks. I think the frunk button on our fobs is in the same place as the remote start button for ICE.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I think the frunk button on our fobs is in the same place as the remote start button for ICE.
That’s correct. First day I owned the lightning, I instinctively went to remote start and instead just popped the frunk.

Having no remote start on the fob is a major fail @Ford Motor Company

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Correct. Remote start is only via the cellular modem using FordPass.

You can also connect FordPass to Alexa or Google Home/Assistant and remote start and other things by voice command or widget.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Pretty sure no remote start on fob is intentional to lock feature away behind a subscription service. It's the way of the future.. subscriptions for everything...

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
It really wouldn't surprise me if a lot of manufacturers push even basic app access into a subscription model. Though I hate subscriptions as much as the next guy (maybe more), app revisions and the infrastructure required to relay the communications to the vehicles have ongoing costs, unlike seat heater or 4-wheel steering subscriptions which are nothing more than ransomware.

The thing with remote start on the fob is that the range is so limited. By the time you're close enough to activate it, remote start won't really do you that much good. It's much more useful to remotely activate the truck when you're still at your desk at work, standing in line at the checkout, or finishing your coffee before heading out. With maybe the last one being an exception in these cases, the fob would typically be out of range of the truck. Not going to lie that I think it'd be nice, but I kinda doubt Ford will implement a new fob feature. I'd much rather they improve the app.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
We know the truck will remote start - you can do it a couple of ways.

So much of this truck comes from ICE my gut almost tells me that if you were to possibly try and pair an ICE remote with the truck - it it will pair, the start button on that remote with either start the Lightning or it will pop the hood.

It might just however start the truck if they didn't nerf that command in the RF signal or what ever signaling the remote uses. If they just used that same command from the remote to pop the hood, then you're just out of luck.

I agree the app is a little clunky for remote start, but I'm OK with it. As noted by @beatle most of the time I want to truly start the truck I'm far enough away that the remote wouldn't reach.

Also - It seems more absurd every day that you can remote start and the AC comes on, but if you open the frunk to put groceries or something in, the AC shuts down. Just keep it running already.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
We know the truck will remote start - you can do it a couple of ways.

So much of this truck comes from ICE my gut almost tells me that if you were to possibly try and pair an ICE remote with the truck - it it will pair, the start button on that remote with either start the Lightning or it will pop the hood.

It might just however start the truck if they didn't nerf that command in the RF signal or what ever signaling the remote uses. If they just used that same command from the remote to pop the hood, then you're just out of luck.

I agree the app is a little clunky for remote start, but I'm OK with it. As noted by @beatle most of the time I want to truly start the truck I'm far enough away that the remote wouldn't reach.

Also - It seems more absurd every day that you can remote start and the AC comes on, but if you open the frunk to put groceries or something in, the AC shuts down. Just keep it running already.
This is the one thing I want to try so bad with a lightning (pairing a standard F150 key fob to see if remote start works), cause I hate the connected services tie in, but alas I have no lightning yet lol

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
A standard key will more than likely just pop the frunk. On my 2018 F150, I bought an Expedition keyfob and the button reserved for the tailgate release had a hatch on it. Pressing it popped the tailgate.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I have a tight fit in my garage, hope to never accidently hit that button, I'm going to need protective measures to prevent hood damage in the event of an accidently opening!!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
The app is trash, especially for remote start. And 9 time out of 10, I want to start the truck from my couch 10 minutes before I leave the house in either summer or winter.

Fine to give the option in the app for the reasons others have expressed, but to strip it from the FOB is like slipping a pebble in my shoe.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Anyone figure out if there's a way to remote start the truck using the key fob? I find using remote start from the FordPass app really slow and clunky.

The manual makes it sound like it's possible to use the key fob, but the directions seem to be for the ICE trucks. I think the frunk button on our fobs is in the same place as the remote start button for ICE.
I was surprised there wan't a remote start on my Mach-E either. I'm not fond of using an App to do things like opening doors or starting the car. Thankfully, the Apple Watch App is super easy to use, so I use the Watch App most of the time.

That said, I still cary my FOB because the PAAK system still seems a bit buggy, and I've had neighbors call me at least twice to tell me my trunk was open, so be careful not to hit the frunk buttons accidentally. At least you need to hit it twice to cut down on the number of false opens.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Bam! Wife loves the Apple Watch App for our Lightning, well was mine, but she's loving the 'Truck I don't want!'. Wow what a difference 547 miles of driving the Lightning can do!!!
Ford F-150 Lightning Remote start using key fob? IMG_20221020_202212
Sponsored