• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heated Steering Wheel deletion and retrofit clarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
If it was for not being delivered on time (the deleted items I’m only guessing) then one might wonder about the other deleted items being retrofitted later. Then on the potential retrofit situation, will that be a pay as you go situation for the vehicle owner or absorbed by Ford….
I have no details, but I do believe this topic (Heated steering wheel) will come at no cost (I could be wrong though).

I don't know of any retrofit plans for other features (scales, special seats, etc) that were deleted.
Sponsored

Fuzzbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F-150 5.0
I hope this retrofit discussion comes to fruition. I could never get clarity from my dealer. It just feels like an incomplete truck without it. Smart hitch / scales weren’t particularly interesting to me to begin with and they don’t feel nearly as mandatory to me.

baddceo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Self Employeed
I have retrofitted my lightning with the heated steering wheel part but cannot get it to turn on. I have verified and updated all of the module settings from a Platinum that has the heated steering wheel but it still won't turn on. The button is on the screen, I have no DTCs and I have no error codes and I have tested and passed each module. There are 4 locations that I have found that need the changes. SCCM, APIM, IPC and HVAC. Has anyone had success doing this and could provide steps so I can confirm where the issue may be?

OP
OP

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E, 23 Lightning ER, 15 F150 XLT, 12 Cayman
Occupation
Engineer
AFAIK, there are 2 major components. The wheel itself with the filament and the controller/module. This is how its configured on my Mach E.

Just curious, did you also install the controller or just the wheel

We never learned from Ford which of these parts was in short supply when they deleted the heated wheel.

I'd be curious as well as mine was deleted

Also, I suspect you can enable the icon on the touch screen without having all the hardware installed. I believe the display is somewhat independent of the what hardware is installed, so you can turn on the heated wheel icon but its not attached to anything on the other end of the CAN Bus.

Sponsored

baddceo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Employeed
AFAIK, there are 2 major components. The wheel itself with the filament and the controller/module. This is how its configured on my Mach E.

Just curious, did you also install the controller or just the wheel

We never learned from Ford which of these parts was in short supply when they deleted the heated wheel.

I'd be curious as well as mine was deleted

Also, I suspect you can enable the icon on the touch screen without having all the hardware installed. I believe the display is somewhat independent of the what hardware is installed, so you can turn on the heated wheel icon but its not attached to anything on the other end of the CAN Bus.
I replaced the entire turn signal mechanism and clock spring with the part number that actually includes the module and elements that make the heat work. The coil is already in my steering as you can see where the harness is plugged into a part that has no receiving pins on it. The new part contains the module and the connector behind the air bag has the prongs which carry the current to the heating element. Unless there is another part that I am missing between the two like a missing fuse or something I am at a loss.

Ford F-150 Lightning Heated Steering Wheel deletion and retrofit clarity 20230716_124632

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Where id it say you were going to get a heated steering wheel? On MSRP sticker, on your order screens?
Nothing about the delivery of my truck indicated that I was going to get the heated steering wheel, except the price was $140 more than my confirmed order with the heated steering wheel removal "option" listed. The heating steering wheel just showed up in the truck, and no documentation listed its existence or absence, including the physical window sticker on the truck and the online electronic sticker. But when I turn the feature on, my steering wheel gets toasty warm! Since I'd hassled my dealer sales rep about the unexplained extra $140 on the window sticker price, the rep made a point at delivery of demonstrating to me that I had the heated steering wheel despite the screw-up in Ford order documentation.

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
I have already taken delivery on mine and I did get a letter with my invoice stating that when the heated steering wheel chip comes in that they will be activating my heated steering wheel. All of the hardware was installed. It just needs the chip. It will be at no cost to me and I was given a $140 credit for the inconvenience. I did also get the multi-contour seats but not the massage features. Also did not receive the on-board scales. All of which I received a credit for.
Do you have the letter that we can see?

baddceo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Employeed
There is no letter yet and his statement about the steering wheel is not accurate. The entire part required for the heating steering is part of the signal stalk. It has to be replaced with a new SCCM module and the correct electrical components. Even then something is still missing as I have done all of this already and I still can't get it to turn on.

Sponsored

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
All Lightning owners with deleted heated steering wheels will get it retrofitted at some point. But no guarantee it won't be the third or second lessee that benefits

Ford F-150 Lightning Heated Steering Wheel deletion and retrofit clarity 11

Ford F-150 Lightning Heated Steering Wheel deletion and retrofit clarity 12

baddceo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Employeed
That letter says nothing about Ford putting them back on the vehicle. I would not get your hopes up. If the parts we not available my dealership shouldn't have been able to order them, which is exactly what I had then do.

FastMover

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 F150 Limited 14 Shelby GT500 22 Lightning order
Occupation
Retired
Last paragraph on the 2nd page under Heated Steering Wheel Functionality Removal

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Has anyone contacted their dealer for updates on this? We are entering cold temperatures very soon. The heated steering wheel stopped being deleted some time ago so it can not be blamed on a supply issue anymore.

I am going to contact my salesperson today and will report back but it would be good if others did as well.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
how did our parents and grandparents survive without a heated steering wheel! oh the humanity !
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.