• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heated Steering Wheel deletion and retrofit clarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
If someone gets any clarification on the heated steering wheel issue please post an update. I am taking delivery on my 23 Platinum Lightning in about a week and when I looked at my invoice details today I observed that the heating steering wheel has been removed with $140 credit. Needless to say I am quite disappointed about the possibility of not getting this standard item if that is in fact true. The whole reason I ordered a Platinum model is because I wanted all the bells and whistles possible. So far I am now not getting the massage seats, (-$300) the onboard scale and smart hitch removal (-$650) and now possibly the heated steering wheel (-$140). And for the price of this vehicle and the amount that is credited back for removing these features from the invoice seems minimal.
Very minimal in my opinion, then Ford just added some fluff such as floor liners added and charging an extra $500 for the mobile travel charger that was once included in the price as standard equipment. Definitely a Nickel and Dime situation a bit too much IMHO.
Sponsored

N0v0w3ls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
It looks like there was an update from Ford to dealers back on 2/3 stating that the heated wheel availability would return for trucks built on or after 2/6/23.

It also stated that they are targeting Q2 2023 for FSA announcement to restore the functionality in trucks produced without it! Now my hands can be nice and toasty just in time for summer! Either way I'm glad to see some movement.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
It looks like there was an update from Ford to dealers back on 2/3 stating that the heated wheel availability would return for trucks built on or after 2/6/23.

It also stated that they are targeting Q2 2023 for FSA announcement to restore the functionality in trucks produced without it! Now my hands can be nice and toasty just in time for summer! Either way I'm glad to see some movement.

My truck was built 1 week earlier... and I still don't have it. Lose, lose. 😑

N0v0w3ls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
At least by the time you get your truck you shouldn't need the heated wheel too much. If they are able to start the process in Q2 that should provide time for parts distribution and all the existing owners to get the retrofit done before the weather turns cold again.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
So availability only for trucks built on or after 2/6/23, hmmmm
So trucks such as mine built in December 2022… no mention of any possibility of future availability.
Not the news I was hoping for, where is the love for the rest of us Ford…??

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
This build week [2/6] actually went into production on 3/13, might be that while they were sorting out the battery issues the supplier of hardware to make the heated steering wheels resumed full capacity and got enough supplies to the Lightning line so that all trucks being built will have it.

Trucks built before this date not having the module will get it via a field service update campaign.

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Very minimal in my opinion, then Ford just added some fluff such as floor liners added and charging an extra $500 for the mobile travel charger that was once included in the price as standard equipment. Definitely a Nickel and Dime situation a bit too much IMHO.
I agree about the fluff stuff. I will say I appreciate the Charger being a seperate add-on instead of included in the price. I wouldn't pay $500 for that mobile charger. I'm a bigger fan of a la cart pricing so I can pick and choose what I want to add on to the truck.

In response to the OP and others that are missing the steering wheel...its a easy retrofit to add in back on. Takes a little time and no how with Forscan, but very doable.

Despite the credit Ford gives for these deletes, I can't see it costing the same amount as the credit to get it installed after the fact. I think that is the big miss here for Ford.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Despite the credit Ford gives for these deletes, I can't see it costing the same amount as the credit to get it installed after the fact. I think that is the big miss here for Ford.
The cost of parts and technician time are not related....
The credit was a measure of consideration for the option not being delivered on time.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The credit was a measure of consideration for the option not being delivered on time.
So the credit was a completely arbitrary number with no relation to the expense of getting it added later?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
So the credit was a completely arbitrary number with no relation to the expense of getting it added later?
Absolutely the case, though folks in Alaska & Canada might place a higher value on that loss of convenience than those along the Gulf coast or Southwest.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Absolutely the case, though folks in Alaska & Canada might place a higher value on that loss of convenience than those along the Gulf coast or Southwest.
Those of us in Southwest, really do appreciate heated steering wheel, especially on those mornings when the temps are in the 40s. In fact for me heated steering wheel is more useful than heated seat.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So trucks such as mine built in December 2022… no mention of any possibility of future availability.
Not the news I was hoping for, where is the love for the rest of us Ford…??
Yeah, you're not understanding. Starting with that BUILD DATE, those trucks get the heated steering wheel installed at the factory. YOU are still eligible for the retrofit, when it's available.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
Yeah, you're not understanding. Starting with that BUILD DATE, those trucks get the heated steering wheel installed at the factory. YOU are still eligible for the retrofit, when it's available.
Ok well if that is indeed the case then that would be good news.
I have my $140 ready in hand to retrofit my steering wheel for heat. Lol 😂
All these deleted items to me are insanity off my truck and of course off of many other peoples.

Ford F-150 Lightning Heated Steering Wheel deletion and retrofit clarity IMG_2600

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
Those of us in Southwest, really do appreciate heated steering wheel, especially on those mornings when the temps are in the 40s. In fact for me heated steering wheel is more useful than heated seat.
Absolutely heated steering wheel ranks way way higher than heated seats for me. Especially in an BEV using heat strips for the main cabin heater pulling my battery 🪫

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
If it was for not being delivered on time (the deleted items I’m only guessing) then one might wonder about the other deleted items being retrofitted later. Then on the potential retrofit situation, will that be a pay as you go situation for the vehicle owner or absorbed by Ford….
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.