• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Help me justify the purchase!

OP
OP

doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost & 2019 Mustang GT Conv
Occupation
Real estate
How many service appointments would you not have with the EV?

Brakes might actually be worse in NE not using them much on the EV. I seem to remember someone saying they rusted or seized due to lack of use on an EV.

It is a problem for sure. I believe Tesla's had a software update to cycle the brakes every so often so they wouldn't seize up on one pedal drivers.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Seems crazy I know...but here's the background and where my current deal is at.

• Placed a deposit on the second day orders reservations opened.
  • I was in the second wave of orders. Atlas Blue Lariat ER order placed. My tentative build date was last fall and got pushed and pushed.
  • Ford drops Atlas Blue and the color defaults to Avalanche
  • Last Nov, I got impatient and purchased a used '21 F150 Powerboost from my dealer. Great truck, amazing MPG (23.7) compared to my Ram.
  • Truck arrived at my dealer 7/1/2023. Nearly 2 years after placing my order. No intent to buy but I had asked the dealer to let me take it for a ride.
  • I drive the truck and love the truck, but the color is ok. Wife and kids hate the color.
  • The truck gnaws at me and the dealer kept it out back.
  • They move it on the "line" at the end of August and the truck sits. We're not a popular EV territory so to speak. These things sits.
  • Dealer continues to check in with me as I do with them.
  • My biggest struggle is the trade value, it dropped over the past two months from $51,300 to 45,500.
  • I'm also eligible for a state tax rebate of $7,500 in mass but I'd need to keep the truck for 3 years (long time for me).
  • Financing rates stink.
  • Here's my price shake down as it stands:
MSRP 79,019 (new repriced price)
Rebates (16,000)
Trade in (45,500)
Down Pay (7,500) (prepaying the rebate I will get back at tax time)
Owe on trade 38,000
Tax 1,105.88
Reg/Fees 275.00
OTD 49,399.88

My payments are going to increase. Is that increase worth the savings in gas. I drive 14000/year. Figure I spend about $2,500-$2,700 on fuel a year. If I finance for the same term I did with my current truck, then my payment increases and I'll spend about $1344 more per year. How much will I spend in electricity charging at home? To me I'm coming out even.

HELP!
If you love the current Lightning go for it. If the wife hates the color, can you live with her reminding you of that fact for the remainder of your life?😉🤣😂 If you are still on the fence wait. You have so many more options coming out next year and even a new Lightning in 2 years🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real estate
If you love the current Lightning go for it. If the wife hates the color, can you live with her reminding you of that fact for the remainder of your life?😉🤣😂 If you are still on the fence wait. You have so many more options coming out next year and even a new Lightning in 2 years🤷‍♂️
This wouldn't be the first vehicle I owned that my wife didn't care for that I owned. 😂

Honestly the new Lightning in 2 years and the RAM Rev (I have a deposit on one of those) coming so soon has me saying hold on.

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
$.44 kWh here on Hawaii Island, gas also starts at $5.00 for the "cheap stuff"
Yikes! .02kwh in the winter and .03kwh in summer. That's on the EV time of use plan. To get those cheap rates we have to charge between midnight and 6:00 am. Both of our cars are EVs and we haven't had to charge during the day yet.

Sponsored

VTHokies

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I’d say go for it if you got the cash or close enough where your loan isn’t huge, with the significant rebates/tax credits available I think it’s a no brainier (wish Texas would offer a state rebate!)

My thinking is…

you don’t know what the rebate/tax credit landscape will be in 2+ years.

No guarantee the Ram EV truck will be available for you to purchase in 2 years and you’ll probably want to skip the first year of the Lightning V2.

You can shop the truck around and see if you can get better than the trade in value.

Tell the wife and kids to not look at it if they don’t like the color! lol

OP
OP

doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real estate
Excellent points VTHokies! This is my conundrum. I can get swayed either way.

Sponsored

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat

• I was in the second wave of orders. Atlas Blue Lariat ER order placed. My tentative build date was last fall and got pushed and pushed.
  • Last Nov, I got impatient and purchased a used '21 F150 Powerboost from my dealer. Great truck, amazing MPG (23.7) compared to my Ram.
  • Truck arrived at my dealer 7/1/2023. Nearly 2 years after placing my order. No intent to buy but I had asked the dealer to let me take it for a ride.
  • I drive the truck and love the truck, but the color is ok. Wife and kids hate the color.
  • They move it on the "line" at the end of August and the truck sits. We're not a popular EV territory so to speak. These things sits.
  • My biggest struggle is the trade value, it dropped over the past two months from $51,300 to 45,500.
  • I'm also eligible for a state tax rebate of $7,500 in mass but I'd need to keep the truck for 3 years (long time for me).
  • Financing rates stink.
Rebates (16,000)
Trade in (45,500)
Owe on trade 38,000
Tax 1,105.88
Reg/Fees 275.00
OTD 49,399.88

My payments are going to increase. Is that increase worth the savings in gas. I drive 14000/year. Figure I spend about $2,500-$2,700 on fuel a year. If I finance for the same term I did with my current truck, then my payment increases and I'll spend about $1344 more per year. How much will I spend in electricity charging at home? To me I'm coming out even.

HELP!
If you have 2 million dollars in a money market, would you buy the Lightning? I assume the answer is Yes. Money wouldn't be a factor.

Buy a Lightning, but buy a color you really want. Don't agonize over the money.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic

• Financing rates stink.
Rebates (16,000)
Trade in (45,500)
Owe on trade 38,000
Tax 1,105.88
Reg/Fees 275.00
OTD 49,399.88

HELP!
Here in upstate SC, with Duke Energy as my provider, power is coming out from the local nuclear reactors, at 13¢ per KW, averaging 13 to 14K miles a year, my cost per month is $40 to $60 a month. It is my primary transportation vehicle. I own an MME also with 32K on the odometer. The MME, which is used also by the family, is costing me ~$20 a month. The Lightning (Lariat EX), is 14 months old. The MME is 32 months old.
I have not missed gasoline at all and the price of gallon of fuel that fluctuates on a weekly basis. I do own an ICE Mustang GT convertible and I have given my daughter our Fusion Hybrid. I am not detached completely from fossil fuels and the lubricating oils that require them to run. Those are my numbers. I can retrieve more accurate numbers from my chargers, KW uptakes per week, per month and per year, but I am stating rough averages.
Yes.....I agree that the interest rates are Not Ideal. I you feel that charging your truck is a hustle, have charging anxieties, wondering about the charging network across the country until we can use the Tesla Superchargers, then you may want to back off. What I tell people is, you don't want to feel like you made a pricy decision if you knew any better.
Myself, I haven't look back at all. I am enjoying both my EVs and using the Lightning as much as I can.
Surely there were many who bought the Lightning, (impulse or got to have it), not knowing that this is a different beast of a truck. I heard the stories. Some were disappointed. They believed or thought that the truck will do everything for them.
Unfortunately it does not. You need to be an active participant.
I am recommending the Lightning. It is a real working, fun truck to own and drive on interstates, off road thru forests and do your daily chores.
Your decision is yours.
Money is the other issue also.
Your decision also.
Good luck.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
IMO the RAM is a nicer truck. I like the controls and the ride better even on the basic HEMI model.

If you're getting 45k on trade for the RAM you likely have a much nicer model than the base?

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
Only buy if you can live with the color. 3 years is a long time…. may be find another color?

I had powerboost platinum as a loaner for 3 weeks. Let me tell you I couldn’t wait to get my lightning back. For me and my use lightning is an upgrade so there no comparison between the 2.
Sponsored