• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Help me pick the best deal

Which truck?

• Truck #1 - Local

• Truck #2 - Travel

Results are only viewable after voting.

Whicks

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT SR
Hello everyone!

I am an soon-to-be owner like many of us here, and I was a reservation holder from back in 2021. I cancelled my original reservation (order window was right at the peak of prices when it was only Lariat/Platinum available), but had the opportunity to order on July 17th when the prices dropped and allotments were opened. I placed an order locally on that date that has since been built, and is in the shipment process currently.

While doing research about the truck a few months ago, I found this forum and began to dive in. I noticed a unique opportunity for a large discount off MSRP for new orders by a certain dealer. I'm sure some of you took advantage of that same offer. So, I reached out, presented what I already had going to the pleasantly helpful and honest salesman, and placed a second order for a nearly identical truck. The plan would be to fly there, purchase, and drive back the truck from KS to CA. That truck is scheduled for 11/06 build week.

So here I am today, running the numbers for both deals and trying to decide what deal would be the most practical. I need some other eyes on this so I don't make an impulse decision. I love the idea of being able to try out the long-distance capabilities (or headaches) of these trucks for myself. Here's the numbers and specifics for both sides:

Truck #1 - Local DealerTruck #2 - Travel-to Dealer
XLT SR - Silver - Options: Tray mats w/o carpet, Mobile charger, Spray-in linerXLT SR - Silver - Options: Tray mats w/o carpet, (No factory charger or bedliner)
MSRP: $58,245MSRP: $57,150 - ($2,500) discount = $54,650
Doc: $85Doc: $499.95
TTL: $5,607TTL: $5,277 (due in full to CADMV)
Deposit/Ford Incentives: ($2,000)Potential Ford Incentives: ($1,500)
OTD: $61,936.58 (estimated)OTD: $60,426.95 (estimated, including TTL costs)
Charging costs for travel home: $500
Lodging costs for travel home: $500
Initial travel expenses: $250
Total: $61,936.58True Total to get home: $61,676.95
Savings: $259.63

So which option makes more sense to you? Do I stay home and wait for a completely equipped truck, or road-trip-it with my $260 spending dollars and see if a bedliner and a factory charger are really worth it later? Curious as to what your thoughts are . . .

Thank you all in advance.
Sponsored

lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E
Occupation
SWE
Deal 1 seems to be better. You're getting a spray-in bedliner (500+ dollars), mobile charger (also $500), and you don't have the headache of traveling/lodging.

Also taking into consideration higher Doc fees for second dealer. Not worth it.

VTHokies

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Option 1 all the way…. You didn’t take into account the opportunity cost of your time flying to KS and having to drive back in Option 2 and since you only have the SR that drive from KS to CA will be a pain!

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
If you can drag it out til Nov 2 or 3 Ford will have new month incentives. They "might" give more love to xlt. There is a huge wave of xlt stock about to hit dealer lots after months of nothing but lariats. Those deals could be regional so might factor in

OP
OP

Whicks

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you can drag it out til Nov 2 or 3 Ford will have new month incentives. They "might" give more love to xlt. There is a huge wave of xlt stock about to hit dealer lots after months of nothing but lariats. Those deals could be regional so might factor in
I hope there are better incentives coming, the truck won’t land for another couple weeks.

Sponsored

lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E
Occupation
SWE
@Whicks see if you can work with Autonation Katy https://www.autonation.com/cars/1ftvw1el2pwg39078/ford-f-150-lightning-2023

(Disclaimer: I am still waiting on a truck from them to be produced, so I don't have experience past their words)

It should be ~1000 to have it shipped to CA. They said they can overnight me any documents that need wet signatures

For `In Transit` vehicles or ones in production still, you should be able to have them knock off any add-ons they do, like bedliner or tint etc. They also try to add on appearance packages, have them knock those off too or as they say `at cost`.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
#1, time is money ... even if you're retired.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I would personally go local. Aside from the dollars, think how you will be treated by the local dealer when you want to schedule your KS purchased truck for service.

Phineas Magliozzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT, optionless.
Another - admittedly pessimistic - view. If you were to have a problem and were to unfortunately have to pursue a CA Lemon Law case, the calculation for the used miles assumes a 120K mile lifespan. $60k/120k mi = $0.50 per mile. For an arbitrary trip from say Salina KS to Laguna Nigel, some 1,500 miles, you will have reduced the value by some $750.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Whicks

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another - admittedly pessimistic - view. If you were to have a problem and were to unfortunately have to pursue a CA Lemon Law case, the calculation for the used miles assumes a 120K mile lifespan. $60k/120k mi = $0.50 per mile. For an arbitrary trip from say Salina KS to Laguna Nigel, some $1,500 miles, you will have reduced the value by some $750.
This is a very unique outlook, thank you for explaining this!

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL

Lucky Larry

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, RX 350, GMC SIERRA, Pontiac Solstice
Buy local, you will get better service at your local dealer if you buy it from them. You will also be supporting your local economy and the employees at your local dealership.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Ouch….that CA tax is killer! I wouldn’t be in a rush to buy as the market for expensive EV’s has softened. I feel better deals are coming in the months ahead. CT will release soon and it will stimulate other manufacturers to incentivize their EVs. Many can’t afford the monthly payments now due to rising interest rates.
Sponsored