• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

High Battery Temp / Powertrain Malfuncion after DC fast charging

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
The AC blower might be done... that's what happened with mine. The AC still works as long as the truck is moving, but when it's stationary the air is warmer and it no longer has that very loud noise that the AC normally makes (it's a low whining noise near the driver side tire).
Sponsored

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
I spoke with someone at Ford and they seemed to think this may have just been a software glitch (no way the motor would be overheating from just sitting there). Other posts on this form with similar experiences also seem to point to a software glitch.

When I posted this thread, I did not think these to be related. But Now I'm wondering if they are, and whether this whole thing might be a software issue. I'm crossing my fingers that this is the case.
2033 SR Pro
2500 miles

I had a modem issue with my truck upon delivery for 2 months until an OTA corrected it.
5 months later (June 12th) I had my first alert: Powertrain malfunction/reduced power. It was days after DCFC at EA and a week after an OTA update. I powered down the truck and then on which cleared the alert. According to my dealership my truck “freaked out” (25 codes) and then corrected itself. This alert and dealer response was not confidence inspiring for the perceived dependability of this vehicle.

I learned conversing with multiple dealerships that many aren't comfortable or successful trouble shooting electrical issues with EV's. My local dealership won’t service my lightning for any electrical issues, instead referring to another location 45 minutes away. I will not be doing any electrical modifications to this truck based on this experience. I don’t want to give the dealership any reason for denying warrantee repairs. BTW: I know about the Magnuson Moss Act. I also found out that with the vin # they can check codes in real time with their EV's.

F and GM's move to partner with Tesla Supercharging should reduce many charging related issues. There are too many players (automotive manufacturers, charging manufacturers, charging companies, payment providers) in the CCS game for it and the variety of vehicles charging to function reliably.

OP
OP

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Volt, 2023 F150 Lightning Pro
I took another trip this weekend and the issue came back: battery temp went up during DCFC. This time I only hit 100 - 120 kW. Powertrain Malfunction error message reappeared. Battery temp was above midpoint, but at least still in the green. I'm sure it would have been worse if charge rate was higher.

Still waiting to hear back from Ford. I hesitate to bring it back to the dealer because I think all they'll do again is plug it in to L2, clear the code, and tell me that there's nothing wrong with it.

During DCFC, I listened for the 'very loud' fan sound that people are describing here. I'm sure this is subjective but I didn't hear anything unusually loud. I had to put my ear to the hood to hear something. The sound of the charger itself was much louder. My AC works fine, even with the car not moving. But if this issue came down to a fan not blowing properly, wouldn't the DTC point to it more conclusively?

OP
OP

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just checked DTCs with FORScan:

Code P2925 - A/C Compressor 'B' Internal Control Module Performance.

As others have suggested here, this appears to be related to the A/C system. Surely this must be the same code the dealer saw and cleared last week. I'm wondering why they chose to not bark up that tree.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Just checked DTCs with FORScan:

Code P2925 - A/C Compressor 'B' Internal Control Module Performance.

As others have suggested here, this appears to be related to the A/C system. Surely this must be the same code the dealer saw and cleared last week. I'm wondering why they chose to not bark up that tree.
That must be your MAX tow AC/Comp, maybe it took a dump.

NOTE, on MAX TOW trucks the cabin and powertrain AC/Comp's have isolated duties.

Sponsored

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
For people that do DC fast charge, how high does the battery heat get? I did my first fast charging last week and noticed that while mine never threw an error like OP's did, it would certainly be hot after the charging was complete (like nearly to the overheating line, but still under the 75% hash mark) and would take around an hour of driving or so to fully cool down to the midpoint. Is that normal? I'm not really surprised about the heating, just more the length of time it took to cool down. I've also go max towing, so I was expecting some better cooling...

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
hot after the charging
Depends on battery temp, outside temp, charge speed, charge state, previous usage.

If you use the Ford nav to get to a charger it allegedly does some preprep and preconditioning.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Depends on battery temp, outside temp, charge speed, charge state, previous usage.

If you use the Ford nav to get to a charger it allegedly does some preprep and preconditioning.
Huh. That's news to me on the preconditioning. I would have used the nav more often if it would have stopped changing the chargers after I changed them. Usually I would just plan it in the app and then navigate to it with google maps instead.

My bigger concern was the slow lowering of the heat after the charging, but it honestly was probably normal. Just had never experienced it so I wasn't sure (but temps were in the 90's, starting temp was right in the middle, ending temp was usually around 70% of the total bar, charge speed never went above 167kw, but usually around 145 then dropping to 50 or so once I hit 80%, charge state would be around 10% to start, ending at around 80%).

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
around 145
I haven't found a charger on my route that goes above 80kw yet so no temp issues here.

Within the limits is still acceptable but double check coolant level when cold.

OP
OP

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
UPDATE: After bringing the truck in for a third time (first couple times they couldn't replicate the problem), they finally took it to a DC fast charger and were able to see the problem. They've determined that it needs a new compressor in the battery cooling system. They also found some issue with an actuator in the charging port - something about the car sometimes not recognizing when it's plugged or unplugged (this one surprised me - I've had some minor issues sometimes where DC fast charges don't initiate on first try but isn't that part of the typical CCS experience? .

Anyway they have the parts in order and might be all done by the end of next week. Fingers crossed that this solves the issue. Will report back.

boseephuss

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I had a similar but much worse experience driving from Lubbock to Houston recently. Plugged in at a DC fast charger, battery temps went through the roof, and max charge rate was around 15kw. Happened again at the next stop, and it took me 4 hours to charge from 25% to 80%. Got home around 4am with the wife leaving for a work trip at 5am. Continue to also get the reduced power / powertrain malfunction intermittently.

Being on a 350KW DC fast charger (I know our max rate is much lower) and the batteries overheating with a requested rate from the truck at 12kw is simply unacceptable.

For reference, I have a Lariat ER with the Max Tow package.
Sponsored