• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How low can power be throttled in cold climates?

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Was bitter cold here over the weekend (-10F), noticed power was capped at 60% when I got in the truck (didn't precondition). After an hour of highway driving (9F ambient) and a restart it was only up to 65%. Battery SOC was 60-75%.

Most days it's closer to 80-85% from a cold start (~20F ambient) and it's fine, but 60% was rather noticeable when getting on the throttle. I can see this especially being a problem for those of us that tow in the winter without the luxury of being able to precondition in the field.

Just curious if @Ford Motor Company has provided anything about how low this number is actually allowed to go. Everyone always whines about the cold weather range, but I don't see much chatter about the power limitations.

Ford F-150 Lightning How low can power be throttled in cold climates? 1675695683520
Sponsored

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Coming home Saturday with the SOC low and it bitterly cold out, my max power available was at 50%

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Was bitter cold here over the weekend (-10F), noticed power was capped at 60% when I got in the truck (didn't precondition). After an hour of highway driving (9F ambient) and a restart it was only up to 65%.

Most days it's closer to 80-85% from a cold start (~20F ambient) and it's fine, but 60% was rather noticeable when getting on the throttle. I can see this especially being a problem for those of us that tow in the winter without the luxury of being able to precondition in the field.

Just curious if @Ford Motor Company has provided anything about how low this number is actually allowed to go. Everyone always whines about the cold weather range, but I don't see much chatter about the power limitations.

1675695683520.png
I'd be interested to see what the temperature gauges looked like when your power was this low.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
60% is about the lowest I have seen.

In our Mach-e we have seen it get as low as ~30% (no numbers, so just guessing from the "jail bars")

A couple ways that can help

- "High power events" can help raise the battery temp. "Stand on it son!"

- charging - either L2 or DCFC will raise the battery temp.

OP
OP
boggle

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Coming home Saturday with the SOC low and it bitterly cold out, my max power available was at 50%
Understandable with low SOC, in this case I was at 60% battery (will update the OP).

I'd be interested to see what the temperature gauges looked like when your power was this low.
Battery was pinned to the left of the bar's IQR. Next time it happens I'll log the actual temps with my OBDII scanner.

Ford F-150 Lightning How low can power be throttled in cold climates? 1675696555107

Sponsored
OP
OP
boggle

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
60% is about the lowest I have seen.

In our Mach-e we have seen it get as low as ~30% (no numbers, so just guessing from the "jail bars")

A couple ways that can help

- "High power events" can help raise the battery temp. "Stand on it son!"

- charging - either L2 or DCFC will raise the battery temp.
Going to see a bunch of us sledders/ice fishermen unlatching our trailers and doing donuts at trailheads/boat ramps just to get back home.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
Understandable with low SOC, in this case I was at 60% battery (will update the OP).

Battery was pinned to the left of the bar's IQR. Next time it happens I'll log the actual temps with my OBDII scanner.

1675696555107.png
I saw power capped at 54% with the battery temp indicator changed to an amber color and at the bare minimum. You still have a bit of “normal” zone left in the picture. I was at 77% SOC with DTE of 69 miles (yes, it is an extended range!). It had sat overnight with no power at -23F. I couldn’t precondition either, but was able to return the battery temps to just below midrange by yo-yo driving (max accel/max regen, repeat) for about 5 miles. I did this on the way to the charger to be able to charge in a reasonable time. I think it is the fastest way to warm the pack, but can be tricky if there is snow or other traffic. I also don’t know the impact on the motor or other systems, but everything seemed fine (motor temp stayed right at normal)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
As @sotek2345 said, the Mach-Es don't give a number. In fact, only the GT? / GTPE even shows bars, the Premium and other trims have no idea that power has been reduced, except when the car enters turtle mode if it has a very low SOC.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
As @sotek2345 said, the Mach-Es don't give a number. In fact, only the GT? / GTPE even shows bars, the Premium and other trims have no idea that power has been reduced, except when the car enters turtle mode if it has a very low SOC.
I have posted on the Mach-e forums that the non-GT cars are welcome to the power bars, as long as they agree to be in power jail as often as the GTs! :p

I LOVE how little the Lightning pulls power as compared to the Mach-e

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I have posted on the Mach-e forums that the non-GT cars are welcome to the power bars, as long as they agree to be in power jail as often as the GTs! :p

I LOVE how little the Lightning pulls power as compared to the Mach-e
It's interesting - I've enabled the energy readout on my Premium, but have never seen jail bars.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It's interesting - I've enabled the energy readout on my Premium, but have never seen jail bars.
Lucky. The GT only has full power if it is between 60F and 80F, you haven't driven over 60mph in that last 30 minutes, and are at a high state of charge.

It also helps if the moon is blue and it is the 5th Sunday of the month.

If all that is true, you can have full power for up to 5 seconds.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Was bitter cold here over the weekend (-10F), noticed power was capped at 60% when I got in the truck (didn't precondition). After an hour of highway driving (9F ambient) and a restart it was only up to 65%. Battery SOC was 60-75%.

I think the answer is that it just keeps dropping until the truck doesn't move. I don't know what the % would be at any given condition but I wouldn't be surprised (based on experience so far) if we'd be down in the 25% range if SOC was at 10% in subzero temps.
Sponsored