• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
Yes traction is limiting. If you do this with traction control off you will spin all four wheel for a pretty good distance (at least in a pro with the XC tires).
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Yes traction is limiting. If you do this with traction control off you will spin all four wheel for a pretty good distance (at least in a pro with the XC tires).
Did your time get worse with traction off?

Frankly in normal mode with traction on, I almost passed out punching it without holding the break. I am afraid to do anything to improve the acceleration.

I didn’t notice a difference in acceleration switching to sport mode. Just stronger Regen which made the ride less comfortable. I am still not quite sure exactly what else changes in sport mode.

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did your time get worse with traction off?

Frankly in normal mode with traction on, I almost passed out punching it without holding the break. I am afraid to do anything to improve the acceleration.

I didn’t notice a difference in acceleration switching to sport mode. Just stronger Regen which made the ride less comfortable. I am still not quite sure exactly what else changes in sport mode.
I haven’t timed anything myself but…the four wheel burn-out with traction control off feels way less punchy and a bit slower. So, I would guess traction control really improves 0-60 times.

Regarding sport and normal I think it is just throttle response that changes so I would be surprised if both were not max torque at max throttle

Would love to have someone with a scanner verify my musings

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I haven’t timed anything myself but…the four wheel burn-out with traction control off feels way less punchy and a bit slower. So, I would guess traction control really improves 0-60 times.

Regarding sport and normal I think it is just throttle response that changes so I would be surprised if both were not max torque at max throttle

Would love to have someone with a scanner verify my musings
Sport mode adjusts throttle response, regen, and steering assist (it feels slightly heavier in sport). You are correct that it is at max torque when the accelerator is fully pressed in either mode.

OP
OP

AdmiralYamo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord V6 EX-L 2015
Sport mode adjusts throttle response, regen, and steering assist (it feels slightly heavier in sport). You are correct that it is at max torque when the accelerator is fully pressed in either mode.
It's interesting that one pedal drive was what makes the difference to me. Great to see how this community can dig into this more. Now i can really shock my friends with this truck!

Sponsored

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
gonna go give it a shot now. I never noticed one pedal drive feeling sluggish on launch. Won't turn it off though, I love it as a feature in traffic and gotten used it it from driving the tesla.

EDIT: I did some testing. No noticeable difference in my butt dyno.

Last edited:

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
I believe turning on sport mode automatically disabled the one pedal driving... or at least it did when I switched it back to "normal" mode. I'm gonna do this today!!!

Reactions: GDN

KrazyEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME RWD SB, 2018 Zero FXS, 2014 Zero S
Occupation
Taxi Driver
Interesting that this surfaces around the time that Porsche says that One pedal driving is
inefficient. I was out with a friend recently. He was in his 2022 ER Lariat. I was in my 2023 SR XLT.
We came off the line a few times. Mine was in 1PD the entire time. Probably in sport mode. He made
various changes to his, don't remember what. I figured that I would pull him out of the hole for a bit
then he would pass me around 30 to 40 mph. I took him each time and he said that I was pulling
on him all the way until I let off. Surprised me ( Pleasantly ). As mentioned above, I like the 1PD for
every day driving. My usual route to work is 11 miles each way, city street 44 mph. My trips show that
I am returning about 20% through regen. Have thought about trying without after reading the
Porsche information, but, I think that it just a marketing thing to get people to spend more on
wear items over time. Kind of like Toyota pushing Hybrid over EV
I REALLY Liked the Brake paddle on the Steering Wheel of my Chevrolet. I forget if it was the Volt
or Bolt, but it was great. Wish we had one.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Interesting that this surfaces around the time that Porsche says that One pedal driving is
inefficient. I was out with a friend recently. He was in his 2022 ER Lariat. I was in my 2023 SR XLT.
We came off the line a few times. Mine was in 1PD the entire time. Probably in sport mode. He made
various changes to his, don't remember what. I figured that I would pull him out of the hole for a bit
then he would pass me around 30 to 40 mph. I took him each time and he said that I was pulling
on him all the way until I let off. Surprised me ( Pleasantly ). As mentioned above, I like the 1PD for
every day driving. My usual route to work is 11 miles each way, city street 44 mph. My trips show that
I am returning about 20% through regen. Have thought about trying without after reading the
Porsche information, but, I think that it just a marketing thing to get people to spend more on
wear items over time. Kind of like Toyota pushing Hybrid over EV
I REALLY Liked the Brake paddle on the Steering Wheel of my Chevrolet. I forget if it was the Volt
or Bolt, but it was great. Wish we had one.

Are you saying that the ER was quicker out of the hole?

KrazyEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME RWD SB, 2018 Zero FXS, 2014 Zero S
Occupation
Taxi Driver
No, The ER was behind in all contests. I had expected ( hoped ) to be ahead at the beginning with
the ER passing me after about 30 to 40 mph. The ER driver said that my SR continued to pull his
ER until I let off. I believe that both Lightnings were at similar level of charge. If any difference,
my SR may have been lower.
BTW, I tried taking 1PD off for the last few days to see if I noticed any range difference. It has been
raining so wasn't able to ( safely ) test launch difference. According to " My Driving " on the
FordPass app, energy used was similar. Range from regen was down substantially.

Sponsored

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My brake score is nearly always 100% in 1PD and it only drops to 99-95% when 1PD is turned off. As long as you are braking cautiously, regenerative braking will recoup most of your energy even with 1PD off.

Reactions: GDN

uniblab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT SR , '93 Mustang GT, '11 E450
Dear Ford Engineers,

I'm taking my 2022 SR Lightning to Ennis, Tx. this evening for a run down the 1/4 mile. Can one of you please trick my truck into thinking it has the ER battery? I only need it for about 12 seconds... oh and while you're at it, I could use another 5mph before the speed limiter kicks in. Thanks in advance. :cool:

hringrose

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro, 1965 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Geotechnical Engineer
Dear Ford Engineers,

I'm taking my 2022 SR Lightning to Ennis, Tx. this evening for a run down the 1/4 mile. Can one of you please trick my truck into thinking it has the ER battery? I only need it for about 12 seconds... oh and while you're at it, I could use another 5mph before the speed limiter kicks in. Thanks in advance. :cool:
Good luck! Please share your time slip!

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Here is my time slip. The tires just could not get enough traction.
Ford F-150 Lightning How to launch the Lightning 1687143523946