• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Let's talk Tesla adapters (needs and available now) I need the basics....

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
$300 for an adapter lolol. Gtfo. 60a is more than enough.
Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
FWIW, I use that Lectron adapter for L1 charging almost every day, adapting a Tesla mobile connector to my Lightning. Build quality seems decent. Haven't actually used it for L2, yet, though, and I probably wouldn't try to use it for more than 40A continuous.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
With 27,000+ miles, I don't have any of these adapters, and don't need them... I don't use any 'Tesla' chargers, of any sort. In the future, FORD will already be sending you a NACS adapter, in the very rare and unlikely event you ever need to actually use a Tesla Supercharger, as a backup option to any local CCS stations. It 'could' happen, but it's still unlikely, even for those who currently think that this is some new 'great' option for the future - I will doubt you will see any CCS vehicles using a Tesla Supercharger if there are any CCS stations in the nearby area. Sure, the thought of having the ability to possibly use a Supercharger is somewhat alluring, but I think it will still be a rare event for any CCS vehicle, especially since the price will be MUCH higher than any other option, and the speed will be MUCH slower than anywhere else...
Have you ever used the supercharger network? It charges way faster and is way more reliable than any CCS network that I’ve used with the Lightning. Even if I have to buy the adapter, and even if it is more expensive charge rates, I’ll be using it exclusively with my Lightning so I don’t have to keep wasting time playing musical chairs trying to find an Electrify America charger that has a stable output of at least 100+ kW. I think a lot of people value their time more than just spending a few bucks extra at a Tesla charger.

Ford and others had to make the switch to NACS because the Supercharger network was becoming such an overwhelming competitive advantage for Tesla. At least Farley saw the writing on the wall before it was too late.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
I bought a tesla tap mini as we have a Tesla wall connector at home.
It is expensive.
It is small.
It is an excellent device.
No, you can't use it with a supercharger.

I'm not a fan of buying cheap #@$% stuff for charging my vehicle(s) in my garage.

Basically, if you don't have regular access to a Tesla wall connector, then it is likely not worth the cost.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Have you ever used the supercharger network? It charges way faster and is way more reliable than any CCS network that I’ve used with the Lightning. Even if I have to buy the adapter, and even if it is more expensive charge rates, I’ll be using it exclusively with my Lightning so I don’t have to keep wasting time playing musical chairs trying to find an Electrify America charger that has a stable output of at least 100+ kW. I think a lot of people value their time more than just spending a few bucks extra at a Tesla charger.

Ford and others had to make the switch to NACS because the Supercharger network was becoming such an overwhelming competitive advantage for Tesla. At least Farley saw the writing on the wall before it was too late.
Biggest risk with Supercharging is that it won't reach the port on the Lightning without taking up two stalls. Otherwise, I'd definitely rather use Superchargers, too. They just work better than "musical chairs" at EA to find one that works right. And Walmarts are "reliable" that they're there and open and have food/drinks, but is there a TikTok challenge for people pooping all over the floor in Walmart bathrooms right now or something? It's ridiculous how awful some of the ones on I75 in Georgia are.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The current Tesla to J1772 adapters (the TeslaTap, TeslaTap Mini, and other brands) are only for charging from Tesla mobile connectors, Tesla wall connectors, and Tesla destination chargers (Tesla destination chargers are free Level 2 chargers at many hotels, restaurants and attractions). These adapters do not work with Tesla DC fast chargers, and probably do not work with any Tesla charger that requires payment through the Tesla app or via plug-and-play.

That said, I find these adapters quite useful, and I recommend carrying one on your truck for overnight road trips: I keep a TeslaTap Mini 80A on my truck. I've run across some hotels that only have Tesla chargers available, and at many hotels, the Tesla chargers deliver more charging current than the J1772 chargers.

Select the adapter that matches your truck's maximum charge acceptance rate. An adapter that is rated for less current than your truck's maximum is potentially dangerous, while one that is rated for more current than your truck's maximum is more expensive but delivers no benefit to you. SO:
  • SR Lightnings have a maximum acceptance rate of 11.3kW, which is a hair over 47A. Any Tesla to J1772 adapter rated at 48A or more is fine for a SR truck -- but a higher-rated adapter won't charge your truck any faster than 11.3kW. Do not use an adapter rated at less than 48A with an SR truck.
  • ER Lightnings have a maximum acceptance rate of 19.6kW, which is 80A. You must use a Tesla to J1772 adapter rated at 80A with an ER truck. While most Tesla chargers won't deliver more than 60A, there exist some that could.
Exceeding the adapter's maximum rated charging current could be a safety hazard. The adapter is a passive component, so it can't notify the truck or the charger of its current limit. Since neither the truck nor the charger would be aware of the restriction, they could overload the adapter, potentially causing Bad Things to happen: damage to the adapter, damage to the charger, damage to your truck, or even a fire.
Do you know of any good way to determine the rating of the Tesla wall unit? We bought the 48A TeslaTap for my Wife's Mach-e, but I haven't used it for the ER Lightning. I agree with your concern on the rating, but if I could determine it was a slower (48A or less) Tesla destination charger, It should be fine on the Lightning.

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
Do you know of any good way to determine the rating of the Tesla wall unit?
My understanding is that the current generation 3 wall connector supports a maximum charging current of 48A (11.52kW), which matches current production Tesla vehicles. The previous (generation 2) wall connector supported up to 80A (19.2kW) of charging current because Tesla has made vehicles with that much capacity in the past.

Aside from either inspecting the breaker the unit is installed on, or checking the unit's set-up with the application, I don't know of a good way to reliably determine the actual power setting of a Tesla wall connector. Most destination charging installations probably provide 48A current or less; 40A is fairly common in my experience. However, I have also seen chargers set up in power-sharing networks, at hotels, so it is possible that if you're the only vehicle that needs charging, and if one of the units is a generation 2 unit, then you may get more than 48A.

Unlike many other EVs, the F-150 Lightning unfortunately doesn't provide an interface to limit charging current via FordPass or via the on-screen menus. Without the ability to limit charging current, I personally would want to make sure I'm always in the clear -- so I got a 80A TeslaTap Mini and just leave it on the truck at all times (that way I won't forget it when I need it).

You're in the clear with the Mach-E and the 48A TeslaTap, because the Mach-E's maximum Level 2 charging current is 48A per multiple official sources.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My understanding is that the current generation 3 wall connector supports a maximum charging current of 48A (11.52kW), which matches current production Tesla vehicles. The previous (generation 2) wall connector supported up to 80A (19.2kW) of charging current because Tesla has made vehicles with that much capacity in the past.

Aside from either inspecting the breaker the unit is installed on, or checking the unit's set-up with the application, I don't know of a good way to reliably determine the actual power setting of a Tesla wall connector. Most destination charging installations probably provide 48A current or less; 40A is fairly common in my experience. However, I have also seen chargers set up in power-sharing networks, at hotels, so it is possible that if you're the only vehicle that needs charging, and if one of the units is a generation 2 unit, then you may get more than 48A.

Unlike many other EVs, the F-150 Lightning unfortunately doesn't provide an interface to limit charging current via FordPass or via the on-screen menus. Without the ability to limit charging current, I personally would want to make sure I'm always in the clear -- so I got a 80A TeslaTap Mini and just leave it on the truck at all times (that way I won't forget it when I need it).

You're in the clear with the Mach-E and the 48A TeslaTap, because the Mach-E's maximum Level 2 charging current is 48A per multiple official sources.
Was poking around and found a map of Tesla destination chargers on their site and it lists the rating of the chargers too! There are 2 at the hotel for our next trip (alongside a pair of J1772s), but thankfully they are only 8kw so I will be safe using the adapter if the J1772s are all tied up.

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
Was poking around and found a map of Tesla destination chargers on their site and it lists the rating of the chargers too!
Cool! Do you have a link to that map? It sounds useful!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Was poking around and found a map of Tesla destination chargers on their site and it lists the rating of the chargers too! There are 2 at the hotel for our next trip (alongside a pair of J1772s), but thankfully they are only 8kw so I will be safe using the adapter if the J1772s are all tied up.
Cool! Do you have a link to that map? It sounds useful!

PlugShare will also show you charger ratings.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
Sheetz ftw
At the very least that chain is named appropriately considering what happens a short while after visiting.

PlugShare will also show you charger ratings.
…right. Unsure I saw the point in the Tesla website one considering PlugShare has a wealth more information about how chargers are - or are not - functioning.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Let's not talk about the promises of the future.

I'm trying to understand the options available now locally for a road trip and in a bind. (I have a SR Lariat)

Are the "Tesla to J1772 charging adapters" $80-$160 Only:
  1. if you were visiting a friends house that has a Tesla wall Charger
  2. (AND)
  3. would NOT work at a Tesla commercial charging spot (Like Wawa)
Are the "Tesla to J1772 (TeslaTap Mini) " $300-$400 needed for:
  1. A Tesla commercial charging spot (Like Wawa)?
  2. I assume a 60amp (would give me ~30Miles/Per hour charge) 80amp ~40m/hr
  3. What is required to use a Tesla Charge location at this time?
    1. Tesla app account?
    2. Would this work at all Tesla charging locations?
Always appreciate the help. Thanks
tesla adapters.jpg
I have both a Lectron and a Tesla Tap. They’re good to pick up for use at Tesla destination chargers and on friends tesla wall chargers. But they won’t work at super chargers. Generally speaking I do recommend one if you’re road tripping as it’s just more options.
Sponsored