• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning performance (acceleration) with standard vs. extended range battery

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I think the Bolt is great to drive, not even comparable to any other commuter car i’ve driven. Like someone said, it’s quick. It’s effortless to get the jump on other cars at a stop light. It’s as much the torque as it is the zero lag throttle response. When you stab it at 40mph it chirps the tires. When you stab the throttle in my GFs Civic it just wheezes and puts up a fight. Acceleration drops off a lot at higher speed but it’s still not bad by any stretch. I’m sure either SR/ER will have better driving dynamics than nearly every truck on the market.
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
It’s going to outperform your 5.0 even with the weight. The low center of gravity and dual motor will take it off the line while handling like a champ. Roll racing will be a different story after 80 mph and there is no modding an EV. Just know it’ll be fast enough.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Of all the EVs I have tested for my job over the past 11 years, the Bolt is my second favorite based on power, agility, and acceleration, even beating out the Tesla Model 3. Number 1 was the Tesla Model S at what, three times the price? Even had better one-pedal driving than the Teslas! The Mach E had comparable one-pedal driving, so I am looking forward to the Lightning as my personal vehicle.
Agreed, i’ve driven quite a few EVs, i think the Bolt has the most natural one pedal driving. Very easy to get used to and use on a daily basis.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
If Ford said it will be the quickest then it may be true. EV's have every bit of power at zero mph. My i3 was claimed by BMW to be the second fastest 0-30 of any BMW made. My Bolt is pretty quick but not like the i3.
I'd think the F150 EV with larger battery will have more power to weight slightly.

OP
OP
uniblab

uniblab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT SR , '93 Mustang GT, '11 E450
So yesterday I *finally* drove a Lightning. It was a dealer mule, Lariat standard range. The performance off the line was strong, as expected but once up to speed it was underwhelming. I did have 350 extra lbs of people in the car with me, and the truck was showing only 50 miles of range left - not sure how much effect the battery SOC would have on performance in the Lightning, anyone know? Does it maintain full power (by increasing amps) until "empty"?

Track tests are starting to come out now, the extended range Lariat has run 12.4@107:

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat First Test: Now, That's a Fast Truck (motortrend.com)

That's pretty good, as long as you don't compare it to the R1T. I still can't find an equivalent test for the truck with a standard range battery. The 2023 order bank is supposed to be opening up soon so I'm going to have to make a decision. I will probably go for the ER battery but I really don't want some of the things in the 312A equipment package that Ford forces you to buy along with the ER, like the larger touch screen (don't like having to use a menu to change fan speed and I don't like the "tablet" look) and power tailgate (takes 10x the time to open or close). I suppose I could get used to those things.

If a fully-charged XLT SR could run say 13.0@102 in the quarter mile I think I could be happy with it but I don't think it will be able to achieve that. If anyone has real data, please post!

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
If you're going to test performance, make sure you're in sport mode. In normal mode the truck will eventually give you full power, but it's not instant. I tried launching from a stoplight in normal mode and it had a few tenths of lag when stabbing the go pedal. It still barked the front tires and was probably at full power by 20-30 mph, but it was surprisingly different to drive - not a good thing!

If you set it to sport mode the truck will nag you every time you get in if you want to stay in sport mode. If you don't say "yes" it will kick you back to normal.

RidetheLightning

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 C-Max Energi,'22 F150L Plat 8/1 build date
If a fully-charged XLT SR could run say 13.0@102 in the quarter mile I think I could be happy with it but I don't think it will be able to achieve that. If anyone has real data, please post!
You realize this is a pickup truck, right? If you're looking for a turnkey drag car you might be able to get one of the Mustang Cobra Jets they offered a few years ago used, or wait for their upcoming EV drag car. As it is, any Lightning is stupid fast for a pickup truck. It does an amazing job stoplight to stoplight, merging onto a freeway, 60-80 on the freeway, and with acceleration while pulling a trailer judging from all the reviews. I think it will be more than fast enough for you. I guess if all you're after is performance, there's the RAM 1500 TRX for high speed passing power, but bye bye frunk and hello gas costs and more maintenance.

OP
OP
uniblab

uniblab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you set it to sport mode the truck will nag you every time you get in if you want to stay in sport mode. If you don't say "yes" it will kick you back to normal.
Interesting... the truck I drove yesterday didn't nag me for staying in sport mode, at least not right away. Maybe it's an ER-only thing?

OP
OP
uniblab

uniblab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You realize this is a pickup truck, right? If you're looking for a turnkey drag car you might be able to get one of the Mustang Cobra Jets they offered a few years ago used, or wait for their upcoming EV drag car. As it is, any Lightning is stupid fast for a pickup truck. It does an amazing job stoplight to stoplight, merging onto a freeway, 60-80 on the freeway, and with acceleration while pulling a trailer judging from all the reviews. I think it will be more than fast enough for you. I guess if all you're after is performance, there's the RAM 1500 TRX for high speed passing power, but bye bye frunk and hello gas costs and more maintenance.
Yes I realize it's a truck. Having a truck as my daily driver is an absolute requirement for reasons I'm sure nobody else would care about so I won't list them. I respectfully disagree with your opinion that the Lightning SR will be "more than fast enough" for me. The one I drove yesterday was clearly not. How you can make a statement like that without knowing me is... confusing. I already have a dedicated Mustang track car so I don't need to shop for a "Cobra Jet". Also not considering a TRX because of the logo on the front and 11mpg.

"Why not get the R1T" I hear you asking, since it is quicker than even the ER Lightning. Well, when the time comes I will attempt to balance the higher performance of the R1T with the fact that I trust Ford more than Rivian to build a quailty product, and the fact that the F-150 is larger (a plus for me) and a little less expensive. I will probably pick the ER Lightning even though it is slower than the R1T.

Then again, maybe Ford will never get around to selling me a Lightning. :-(

Trick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
I test drove a Pro for the 1st time yesterday, every time i punched it the front wheels chirped. And it was at any speed. I would not need any more power then that.

Sponsored

RidetheLightning

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 C-Max Energi,'22 F150L Plat 8/1 build date
sure nobody else would care about so I won't list them. I respectfully disagree with your opinion that the Lightning SR will be "more than fast enough" for me. The one I drove yesterday was clearly not. How you can make a statement like that without knowing me is... confusing. I already have a dedicated Mustang track car so I don't need to shop for a "Cobra Jet". Also not considering a TRX because of the logo on the front and 11mpg.
Sorry, didn't mean to come across like that. I get that each of us have a different "need for speed." Absolutely agree with you on the TRX. I'm just not about what that brand is about - I rented a RAM 1500 once - complimentary rental car upgrade and it was fun for a few days but I wouldn't want to own one.

OP
OP
uniblab

uniblab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry, didn't mean to come across like that. I get that each of us have a different "need for speed." Absolutely agree with you on the TRX. I'm just not about what that brand is about - I rented a RAM 1500 once - complimentary rental car upgrade and it was fun for a few days but I wouldn't want to own one.
No worries! Glad to hear we agree on the TRX. If I'm being truly honest I wouldn't consider the TRX even if it was a Ford because I am 100% sold on an electric truck as my next vehicle.

OP
OP
uniblab

uniblab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I test drove a Pro for the 1st time yesterday, every time i punched it the front wheels chirped. And it was at any speed. I would not need any more power then that.
Maybe I'll go back and drive the Lariat SR again when it has a full charge and without two other people in the truck with me. I doubt it would make that big of a difference but I've been wrong before...
Sponsored