• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Notice From Ford: Battery Replacement Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terik2005

First Name
Terik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 ford lightning lariats standard range
Occupation
Train Engineer
Just to clarify, the software recall on the Mach-E wasn't to fix anything. It was to allow the vehicle to alert the owner, and Ford, of the upcoming failure of the HVBJB, and allow the car to be driven, often in limp mode, to the dealership, vs. dying on the side of the road.
No the software fix was their first attempt to correct the issue with the junction from burning up by limiting power cycles thru that junction box but a lot of people were still getting the message anyway. May Cali rt 1 didn't have that message at all. Well still hoping my lightning never needs the fix nor gets the message.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
No the software fix was their first attempt to correct the issue with the junction from burning up by limiting power cycles thru that junction box but a lot of people were still getting the message anyway. May Cali rt 1 didn't have that message at all. Well still hoping my lightning never needs the fix nor gets the message.
You are incorrect. They weren't trying to fix anything, they reduced power to prevent damage and provide the owner with the message to take it in. There are zero reports of reduced power by owners that weren't accompanied by the failure notice.

From the NHTSA paperwork:

The updated SOBDMC software (LJ98-14G069-AXG, LJ98-14G069-AZG, LJ98-14G069-BBG, LJ98-14G069-BDG) will monitor contactor temperature and intelligently reduce battery power to prevent damage to the contactor. The updated BECM software (NJ98-14C197-AE, NJ98-14C197-BD) will monitor contactor resistance to identify an overheated contactor and reduce vehicle power to prevent further damage.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22V412-2331.PDF

Terik2005

First Name
Terik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 ford lightning lariats standard range
Occupation
Train Engineer
You are incorrect. They weren't trying to fix anything, they reduced power to prevent damage and provide the owner with the message to take it in. There are zero reports of reduced power by owners that weren't accompanied by the failure notice.

From the NHTSA paperwork:

The updated SOBDMC software (LJ98-14G069-AXG, LJ98-14G069-AZG, LJ98-14G069-BBG, LJ98-14G069-BDG) will monitor contactor temperature and intelligently reduce battery power to prevent damage to the contactor. The updated BECM software (NJ98-14C197-AE, NJ98-14C197-BD) will monitor contactor resistance to identify an overheated contactor and reduce vehicle power to prevent further damage.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22V412-2331.PDF
No I got my Mach e gt released after the software fix when they issued a stop sale on all mach e's. All the other mache's that have been sold already didn't have to stop driving unless they got the message to service engine and guess what a lot of ppl got the message before the software fix. I spoke to three dealerships about and got the software update and I got the junction box replaced. I know what I'm talking about.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Since this is a Lightning forum, and not a Mach-E forum, I'll just end with disagreeing with you. There was no software fix, just software to stop the dead car in the road and allow the owner to drive it in, instead of it just melting the contacts.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Is this issue common with ER than SR Lightnings ?

These reports have me worried - now I drive in regular trip view instead of calm mode that I normally drive - looking for warnings or decreased power / range... 😬
Can't let it impact your experience, when it happens the truck will let you know or Ford will contact you first. Just enjoy calm mode.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

MAhauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/10/ford-recalls-electric-f-150-lightning-pickups.html

Ford recalling 18 electric F-150 Lightning pickup trucks after battery fire

March 10, 2023
  • Ford is recalling 18 electric F-150 Lightning pickups that the company has identified as potentially having a battery cell defect that caused a truck to catch fire last month.
  • The Detroit automaker said Friday the small recall is for vehicles that were already delivered to customers and dealers.
  • The automaker reiterated Friday that production of the F-150 Lightning is set to resume Monday at one of its Michigan plants.
DETROIT – Ford Motor is recalling 18 electric F-150 Lightning pickups that the company has identified as potentially having a battery cell defect that caused a truck to catch fire last month.

The Detroit automaker said Friday the small recall is for vehicles that were already delivered to customers and dealers. They were assembled with improperly produced battery cells that were built over a four-week period at a Georgia plant from supplier SK On.

A Ford spokeswoman declined to disclose how many trucks Ford has in holding that may have the issue. She said the company is “applying quality actions to already-produced vehicles with batteries built in this four-week window which we have been holding.”

The fire occurred Feb. 4 in a holding lot during a pre-delivery quality check while the vehicle was charging. Ford suspended production of the vehicles and issued a stop-shipment to dealers.

Ford previously declined to disclose details of the issue that caused the vehicle to catch fire or of the implemented solution. Additional details should be available when the National Highway Transportation Administration officially issues the recall notice.

Ford said it is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to the battery issue or recall.

The automaker reiterated Friday that production of the F-150 Lightning is set to resume Monday at one of its Michigan plants.

The F-150 Lightning is being closely watched by investors, as it’s the first mainstream electric pickup truck on the market and a major launch for Ford.

Ford initially opened customer reservations for the F-150 Lightning when it was revealed in May 2021. More than 200,000 reservations were placed prior to Ford temporarily closing the process to attempt to align production with expected demand.

Ford has sold fewer than 20,000 of the all-electric trucks so far.

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
My truck was repaired today, shout-out to the dealer providing a loaner and doing a great job getting it back to me in 2 days, today. So far so good. Dealership was great. Module 5 of the hv battery was replaced and they did the wiper motor recall as well. Ford corporate on the other hand was terrible. I don't have the strength to type everything they did wrong, but their upper level managers were at least responsive and showed a genuine interest to resolve the problem. Their employees, not so much. In summary, @Ford Motor Company do better.

• Sad
Reactions: GDN

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Status