• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Overheating Ford Mobile Charger

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Anyone else have an overheating Ford charging cord? Mine has been doing this since day 1 so I’m guessing it’s either a poor design or defective. Cord is in a garage in Florida but isn’t abnormally hot compared to outdoors. Right now it’ll start charging at 6kW and then throttle to 4kw back and forth until the charge is done. It still gets the job done but I guess a visit to the dealership is in order as long as they don’t need to keep the truck.

Ford F-150 Lightning Overheating Ford Mobile Charger IMG_1621
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Overheating is indicated by the amber light. Red usually means fatal error. But combination red/blue isn’t defined in the manual.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Is the unit warm to the touch near the detachable cordset or at the plug into the receptacle? Make sure it's fully seated into the body of the unit.

RST

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 35d, VW ID.4, '23' Lightning Pro, & 4 Bikes
Occupation
Retired
As stated above, make sure the detachable cable is plugged in fully......then install the included mounting bracket to the wall, and insert your charger.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I had one that did the amber chicklet alternating with all blue...and used it that way for about two years before I changed it for the other one from my truck, and found out after all that time the one that came with the car was defective and not supposed to overheat unless it's like 100F outside.

Mine would overheat if it was the middle of the winter and 25F outside. It always eventually charged either the car or the truck but obviously took a lot longer than it was supposed to.

My dealership doesn't even have a 14-50R outlet to plug it in to so I can get them to verify that the bad one really is bad.

Sponsored

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I've been using mine since last November and it was fine until the warm weather moved in. I checked on it yesterday because my charge rate was half of what it usually is and everything was tight, but it was 85 degrees so I chalked it up to that. Feels like it's time to switch to an Emporia.

Ruben G Gaeza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
retired
I have a simular problem and it seems to be related to ambient temperature. When charging for a while and temperature is above 80 degrees F, the circuit breaker trips. After awhile I flip the breaker back on and continue to charge. I’ve changed my charging amps from 90 amps to 64 amps. and see if this will work without the breaker flipping. No results yet.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I have a simular problem and it seems to be related to ambient temperature. When charging for a while and temperature is above 80 degrees F, the circuit breaker trips. After awhile I flip the breaker back on and continue to charge. I’ve changed my charging amps from 90 amps to 64 amps. and see if this will work without the breaker flipping. No results yet.
This is about the Ford Mobile Charger, which operates at 30amps on a 40 or 50amp circuit.

There is no charger that runs at 90amps. Are you referring to the Ford Charge Station Pro, which has a max setting of 80amps on a 100amp circuit?

OP
OP

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had one that did the amber chicklet alternating with all blue...and used it that way for about two years before I changed it for the other one from my truck, and found out after all that time the one that came with the car was defective and not supposed to overheat unless it's like 100F outside.

Mine would overheat if it was the middle of the winter and 25F outside. It always eventually charged either the car or the truck but obviously took a lot longer than it was supposed to.

My dealership doesn't even have a 14-50R outlet to plug it in to so I can get them to verify that the bad one really is bad.
Thanks looks like I’m in the same boat. It still charges fast e light for my needs so I’m not sure if I’ll just live with it. Maybe try and swap it in a few years near the end of my warranty period and see if Ford has a better design by then

OP
OP

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Is the unit warm to the touch near the detachable cordset or at the plug into the receptacle? Make sure it's fully seated into the body of the unit.
The cord and receptacle both seem normal temperature. I’m using a Hubbell 14-50 plug and I took the face plate off to double check for loose connections - I’m pretty confident in the wiring setup. My 32 amp Tesla mobile cord charges fine from the outlet without overheating.

Right now the hottest part of the unit is the lower half where the J1772 cord exits the unit.

Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
The cord and receptacle both seem normal temperature. I’m using a Hubbell 14-50 plug and I took the face plate off to double check for loose connections - I’m pretty confident in the wiring setup. My 32 amp Tesla mobile cord charges fine from the outlet without overheating.

Right now the hottest part of the unit is the lower half where the J1772 cord exits the unit.
I used a thermal scanner as well and saw no issues with the receptacle. And since the portable charge unit I swapped in from my truck is exactly the same...but doesn't overheat at all, I'm pretty confident about the diagnosis.

Ncstate88

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
As stated above, make sure the detachable cable is plugged in fully......then install the included mounting bracket to the wall, and insert your charger.
I had two issues. Did not have the current firmware on charger. Ford support got on line and corrected this. Also I left cord partially wrapped around unit. Once I stopped leaving cord wrapped around charger I only had one overheating failure in past month when garage was 92!

OP
OP

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had two issues. Did not have the current firmware on charger. Ford support got on line and corrected this. Also I left cord partially wrapped around unit. Once I stopped leaving cord wrapped around charger I only had one overheating failure in past month when garage was 92!
So the mobile cord has upgradable firmware? How did Ford support correct this?
Sponsored