• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

P0B24 Voltage Unstable

Weather Dawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER w/Tow; 2017 BMW X3
Well looks like it’s my turn. Got the wrench, service vehicle soon, and stop now messages. Also degraded power output to 20%. Plugged in my reader and car scanner app to see the P0B24 error. Guess I will be calling the dealer in the morning. 2022 Lariat ER with an August 22 build date. Will keep the thread updated as I find out more.
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Thanks for sharing and I hope it is not serious. I am curious, what is your module voltage variation (In voltage or percent)

Looking forward to read your status update.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Weather Dawg

Weather Dawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just added that to the dashboard. 5.4%, min value 3.95 volts, variation of 0.11 volts

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just added that to the dashboard. 5.4%, min value 3.95 volts, variation of 0.11 volts
My module variation usually don’t exceed 0.01 V and 0.5%

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Oh no... yeah unfortunately that doesn't look good. That's a lot. Normal variation usually doesn't exceed 0.01 or 0.02V.

Damn. The more instances of this I see, the more I think we're all eventually gonna suffer this fate 😕

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Oh no... yeah unfortunately that doesn't look good. That's a lot. Normal variation usually doesn't exceed 0.01 or 0.02V.

Damn. The more instances of this I see, the more I think we're all eventually gonna suffer this fate 😕
It is definitely starting to feel that way.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

With thousands of batteries in there, it is hard to imagine one of them wouldn’t go out of line.

Not knowing much about the tech, I am not sure how practical this is but it would be nice if there was a way to have a fuse of some sort for each to take it out when it gets out of line. This with 5 or 10 backup cells for the whole pack one of which would come online after a cell failure to keep the total voltage the same, the reduction in warranty calls may offset the additional cost of design or even save Ford some money. Once all of the backup cells are exhausted, the back up module would get replaced along with bad modules/cells. This may have the side effect of the pack lasting longer after warranty as well.

Again someone smarter than me has to figure out how to implement it in a cost effective manner but I hope it is not impossible.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Again someone smarter than me has to figure out how to implement it in a cost effective manner but I hope it is not impossible.
Need thousands of relays to shunt out the bad cell and switch in one of the backup cells, very complicated, not likely worth the complexity & costs

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Need thousands of relays to shunt out the bad cell and switch in one of the backup cells, very complicated, not likely worth the complexity & costs
You are probably right. It depends on what the cost of warranty repairs are for Ford. or how quickly a new more reliable battery chemistry/tech becomes available.

However doing things at cell level may not be always as expensive as you think. Tesla has a fuse for every cell (just a thin wire). And looking at the attached info, although Ford is not watching every cell, they are watching every five sells. In fact, that means the backup batteries are already baked in. If every 5 cells are in parallel, taking out the bad cell by blowing out a fuse will stabilize the voltage for that group without the need to do anything to the pack. The only thing is the total energy is reduced by 0.2 % which is hard to notice. You can do this three more times for the same group without needing to open up the pack. Which means you may never have to fix the pack for the life of the vehicle due to cell problems.

Just shooting off potentially more stupid ideas: If a bad cell has higher voltage than others, could we blow out it's fuse with a hard acceleration? Meaning push slightly more current through a sensitive fuse (like what Tesla has but with smaller tolerance) beyond its limit and take that cell out of business? Not sure how much of a problem low voltage is and how to take those out.

I know how all of this sounds from someone that does not know what he is talking about, but I have faith that someone that is in the right field (may be biology) can come up with a smart way to blow out the fuse like nature does with most of it's operations; Smart but without a microchip.

Ford F-150 Lightning P0B24 Voltage Unstable Cell_V

OP
OP
Weather Dawg

Weather Dawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Spoke to the service manager yesterday and I am going in on Monday for them to test and determine next steps.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Ok, knocking out a parallel branch with a fuse might be something, but swapping in a replacement group of cells is where the relays and complexity would come into play and in my vision would be to complicated and costly

Piquette

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
If I remember what my service technician told me correctly, if a single cell’s voltage falls 0.03 volts or more below the nominal output of 4.03 volts, the truck goes into reduced power mode. On my truck, the voltage in cell #96 in Module #9 dropped to 3.97 volts. Not much of a drop, but still enough that Module #9 had to be replaced with a new one.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If I remember what my service technician told me correctly, if a single cell’s voltage falls 0.03 volts or more below the nominal output of 4.03 volts, the truck goes into reduced power mode. On my truck, the voltage in cell #96 in Module #9 dropped to 3.97 volts. Not much of a drop, but still enough that Module #9 had to be replaced with a new one.
That sounds tight. It feels like it is something that is waiting for a lot of us.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Well looks like it’s my turn. Got the wrench, service vehicle soon, and stop now messages. Also degraded power output to 20%. Plugged in my reader and car scanner app to see the P0B24 error. Guess I will be calling the dealer in the morning. 2022 Lariat ER with an August 22 build date. Will keep the thread updated as I find out more.
Hey there. Can you send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to look into this error issue on my end.

OP
OP
Weather Dawg

Weather Dawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey there. Can you send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to look into this error issue on my end.
Thanks. Just sent the message.
Sponsored