• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Phone as a Key and Cell Service

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
Does Phone as a Key work in an area without cellular service?

I've tried once and it did not. But, upon later inspection, my FordPass add was stating "bluetooth disconnected." Clicking on the info icon said Bluetooth was on (check mark), Location Services was on (check mark), and cellular data was on (check mark). Some troubleshooting led to rebooting the iPhone which remedied the errant "bluetooth disconnected" in FordPass. I was then able to unlock and start the vehicle with the phone, but I was now in an area with cellular service, so the mystery remains.

I see Ford wants cellular data on. But, perhaps the protocol could just use the cellular frequencies to communicate directly with the vehicle. That would be similar to how AirDrop and CarPlay work by using both bluetooth and wifi radios to increase the bandwidth available. More bandwidth and differing bands could help with signal localization ranging accuracy.

I guess I'll try again now that I've sorted out the bluetooth disconnected bug when the opportunity arises. It would be nice to not have to bring a key when I trail run in remote areas. But, it would be a pain to remember the special cases where it works or not. There's always the keypad and password to start the vehicle.
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
If I've been away for a few days and haven't used FordPass PaaK often doesn't work right away. Usually opening the app does the trick. Before I figured that out I just used the door code and pass code. I feel confident using only PaaK as long as the backup system exists.

That's the long way of saying I don't know if cell service matters but it's irrelevant because of the backup system.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Put your phone in airplane mode and find out?

OP
OP

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
Put your phone in airplane mode and find out?
Airplane mode disables the cellular radio. The cellular radio is required to be ON to work. I'm curious if the phone's cellular radio is directly communicating with the vehicle's cellular radio or if it requires an external cellular service to function. It's a little harder to test near home.

Sponsored

Jer

First Name
Jer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Lightning Lariat,‘21 Bronco, ‘17 F350, ‘76 K20
Occupation
IT
I was curious of this as well, have used with no cell service around before. Just tested with No key fob nearby. Put phone on airplane mode. Cellular and Wi-Fi are off, Bluetooth is on, truck starts and moves. Turn off Bluetooth, still in airplane mode, truck shows no key detected, will not start . Turn Bluetooth back on, still in airplane mode, cellular and Wi-Fi still off. Truck starts.

OP
OP

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
I was curious of this as well, have used with no cell service around before. Just tested with No key fob nearby. Put phone on airplane mode. Cellular and Wi-Fi are off, Bluetooth is on, truck starts and moves. Turn off Bluetooth, still in airplane mode, truck shows no key detected, will not start . Turn Bluetooth back on, still in airplane mode, cellular and Wi-Fi still off. Truck starts.
I tried it as well. The door did unlock in airplane mode with bluetooth on and cellular radio disabled in the phone. The rapid response also matches not using cellular service. The delay for FordPass lock/unlock buttons is much longer going through cellular service.

Now, why do they ask for cellular data to be on under Optimize Phone as a Key?

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Now, why do they ask for cellular data to be on under Optimize Phone as a Key?
Perhaps as a back up when you are out of Bluetooth range. Or, perhaps when the truck is in deep sleep to conserve the 12V from constantly polling via Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure the cellular modem keeps the truck reachable for updates. Just speculating.

TFLEV channel just put out a YouTube video that indirectly addresses things in this thread. The title is, "I Love This Clever Tesla Feature BUT It Is Driving Me Mad...Let Me Show You!" It's mainly about key cards, you can find it if you want to.

dgargano

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
IT Manager
If I've been away for a few days and haven't used FordPass PaaK often doesn't work right away. Usually opening the app does the trick. Before I figured that out I just used the door code and pass code. I feel confident using only PaaK as long as the backup system exists.

That's the long way of saying I don't know if cell service matters but it's irrelevant because of the backup system.
Ford Pass PaaK doesn't always work for me even when I have full bars on phone. I've kind of given up on it and see no real use for the pass app. I just use the key fob. I also have a Tesla and their phone app and software are seamless and never fail. So I admit Im spoiled by it. Yeah I know, 1st world problems, lol. Love my Lighting and eventually selling Tesla, but Ford Pass app needs an overhaul.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Perhaps as a back up when you are out of Bluetooth range. Or, perhaps when the truck is in deep sleep to conserve the 12V from constantly polling via Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure the cellular modem keeps the truck reachable for updates. Just speculating.

TFLEV channel just put out a YouTube video that indirectly addresses things in this thread. The title is, "I Love This Clever Tesla Feature BUT It Is Driving Me Mad...Let Me Show You!" It's mainly about key cards, you can find it if you want to.
The vehicle and FordPass exchange data via Ford cloud servers. It allows things like remote start, lock/unlock, and setting of the alarm from you phone over a cellular connection. That’s also how you can see the charge status and other data on your phone.

But PAAK features use BT. You’ll notice that the buttons on your phone that get added when PAAK is enabled are inactive until you’re close enough to establish a BT connection.

Edit: Disclosure, I don’t use PAAK. The quirks make it not worth it to me. Carrying a fob (or just locking it in the truck) is no big deal for me.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Does Phone as a Key work in an area without cellular service?

I've tried once and it did not. But, upon later inspection, my FordPass add was stating "bluetooth disconnected." Clicking on the info icon said Bluetooth was on (check mark), Location Services was on (check mark), and cellular data was on (check mark). Some troubleshooting led to rebooting the iPhone which remedied the errant "bluetooth disconnected" in FordPass. I was then able to unlock and start the vehicle with the phone, but I was now in an area with cellular service, so the mystery remains.

I see Ford wants cellular data on. But, perhaps the protocol could just use the cellular frequencies to communicate directly with the vehicle. That would be similar to how AirDrop and CarPlay work by using both bluetooth and wifi radios to increase the bandwidth available. More bandwidth and differing bands could help with signal localization ranging accuracy.

I guess I'll try again now that I've sorted out the bluetooth disconnected bug when the opportunity arises. It would be nice to not have to bring a key when I trail run in remote areas. But, it would be a pain to remember the special cases where it works or not. There's always the keypad and password to start the vehicle.
I have successfully used PAAK in a dead zone - multiple times actually. There was one time where my phone might’ve been expired where I had to use my passcode instead.
Sponsored