• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks @LOV. I just wanted to get an idea on cost so appreciate that. The family has been debating getting a camp trailer so I was looking at various options. This is a very cool setup.

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER,Cayman,Miata,Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer
We're looking to do this ourselves, well, I'm not sure I've talked the S/O entirely into it yet. But we're bringing our 5x8 utility trailer back from the farm this weekend to start designing the self-sufficient part of it. We'll be looking to move at least some of our current off-grid charger ( build thread here - https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...rging-solar-array-build-w-agrivoltaics.17055/ ) to the trailer. The LiFeP04 batts, 20kw, by then, and then will re-purpose an Epever 200v/80amp charge controller we have lying around, and then figure out a decently robust inverter, then build about 3-4kW of panels out of, likely, NewPowa 100watt flexible panels(4.1lbs per panel), in 1kw assemblies, keeping them light (50-60lbs/per.). Think we can keep the trailer with just the solar stuff, less than 1,000lbs. The utility trailer might get replaced with a used, light weight, pop-up trailer. We think we want the living quarters separate from the truck. We'd like to try Work-from-home, which we both do now, on the road. Lot's of if's still. Could be a pipe dream.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
We're looking to do this ourselves, well, I'm not sure I've talked the S/O entirely into it yet. But we're bringing our 5x8 utility trailer back from the farm this weekend to start designing the self-sufficient part of it. We'll be looking to move at least some of our current off-grid charger ( build thread here - https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...rging-solar-array-build-w-agrivoltaics.17055/ ) to the trailer. The LiFeP04 batts, 20kw, by then, and then will re-purpose an Epever 200v/80amp charge controller we have lying around, and then figure out a decently robust inverter, then build about 3-4kW of panels out of, likely, NewPowa 100watt flexible panels(4.1lbs per panel), in 1kw assemblies, keeping them light (50-60lbs/per.). Think we can keep the trailer with just the solar stuff, less than 1,000lbs. The utility trailer might get replaced with a used, light weight, pop-up trailer. We think we want the living quarters separate from the truck. We'd like to try Work-from-home, which we both do now, on the road. Lot's of if's still. Could be a pipe dream.
If you haven't already, please get a thread going dedicated to this project. Sounds like a really cool thing to follow.

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER,Cayman,Miata,Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer
If you haven't already, please get a thread going dedicated to this project. Sounds like a really cool thing to follow.
I’m sure I will, if it seems feasible. My mistake was looking at the Pebble trailer, and now I want to build some sort of drive system into the trailer, lol. I would, at that point, have bit off more than my engineering skills can chew. I just cant help but wonder about larger hub drive wheels…

Sponsored

GoHawks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning ER
Hi. I am looking at doing something similar with my lightning. I realize this is an older thread but I am looking for some advice. I am posting here because there are similar perspectives but different approaches and a lot options. I am trying to evaluate what is best for me. Any experience and advice you would care to share would be appreciated.

Here are my questions:

1. Wedge vs Full pop up. Why did you make the choice that you did? I am leaning towards a wedge for cost reasons. I am not considering a slide-in, only a topper.
  2. Any concerns or issues with purchasing a camper/topper from a company that is not local. I see PA purchasing from San Diego and PNW purchasing from AZ as examples.
  3. What do you know now that you wished you would have considered when purchasing?
  4. Does the sunroof still work? Does it work with a faring?
  5. Does the satellite radio and cell connection still work or did you have to modify anything? Any interference with the shark fin antennas?
  6. Have you removed the topper yet? If so, how did it go and any suggestions?

I have researched the following companies:

1. Super Pacific - not considering
  2. GFC - not considering
  3. FWC - considering the Project M but worried about the profile’s impact on range
  4. Hiatus - not considering because it’s too expensive
  5. Tune M1 - interesting but too expensive and worried about the profile’s impact on range.
  6. OVRLAND - not considering
  7. TOPO - not considering

I have landed on either the ORUDesign Bruin or the Lone Peak Overland. Both seem to offer as much or more than their competitors for less money. Any insights into why you chose what you chose would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Ecstatic

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘03 Highlander, ‘83 Landcruiser, ‘22 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Temporarily retired
Has anyone figured out if it’s possible to hook up a third brake light by plugging into to either the flat 4 or round 7 trailer lights connector - without losing blue cruise, etc?

DennisM1

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD; 2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Attorney
We have had real troubles with this. We had one RV place order a wiring harness adapter that wouldn’t work, had another install a harness adapter that worked for class months but then threw a fault and screen warning and had to be removed. We have been told that the Lightning’s trailer wiring and brake light wiring are different than other F150’s but can’t verify that. You would think Ford dealers that install canopies with a third brake light would have this figured out but we have asked multiple dealers if they can help us and they all say they won’t work on any third party parts.
Sponsored