• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Poll: 2023 Lightning - Still Ordering?

Those still waiting to order: Given the new B&P and new tax law are you likely to order if invited?

• Total voters

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I need something that can tow around 5000lbs, preferably a bit more. I was hoping to replace my old SUV and with an EV. It's hard to justify replacing it with another gas truck. I could possibly replace my daily driver (Prius) as well and not be out a fortune in gas.
I would honestly like a 3 row SUV but there's nothing in the realm for an ev that's affordable or can tow so that's out. The upcoming ev9 or xc90 EV are interesting but I'm assuming they'll be way out of my price range.
I could always go with an id4 or wait for the Blazer (I have an early reservation). I've got an early Silverado reservation as well.
I have a Blazer reservation, a Silverado reservation, and plan on an Equinox reservation. I'm considering jumping on a Lyriq too.

It's crazy these days--you have to reserve EVs 12months or more in advance and then just cancel if you decide to go in a different direction.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
You posted this on the other thread too.

Most analysts are calling for gas price exiting 2022 to be $4.35/gallon average in US. Only reason we're dropping below that right now is that we're using up injections of stockpiles that were emergency measures.

And if you're paying $0.59 for DCFC, you're paying about twice what you need to, even if you are doing 100% DCFC. In even the most expensive states, EA is charging $0.31 per kWh with a $4/month membership cost. And as most people will charge mostly at home and not at DCFC, my current price of $0.096 per kWh will make it significantly cheaper yet.

Your post is not aligned with reality.
Unless you take a long road trip once a month or more, DCFC is going to be less than 10% of your miles. Probably less than 5% for most people

RickE

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm going to see what the market looks like with the Silverado. I prefer Ford(style and brand) but may sell or trade in depending upon the price vs increased range/faster charging on the Silverado.

We'll see.

I doubt see the market collapsing on these. Ford could sell 500,000 of these things even without the tax credit...
I disagree. Ford could have sold them at the 2022 price level not at the 2023 level. The Pro at $39K was a great deal now it's at $47K. No 2023 ER Lighting will qualify for the rebate. Most people will not pay $85K for a truck with cloth seats. And $85K if you are lucky enough to get a dealer that will not add an additional $10-15K ADM.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I disagree. Ford could have sold them at the 2022 price level not at the 2023 level. The Pro at $39K was a great deal now it's at $47K. No 2023 ER Lighting will qualify for the rebate. Most people will not pay $85K for a truck with cloth seats. And $85K if you are lucky enough to get a dealer that will not add an additional $10-15K ADM.
The US is a big country. We literally have millions of millionaires and millions more that make poor decisions with their money. Ford will have no issues selling every Lightning that can make the next few years. You don't need most people to be onboard. You need less than 0.01%.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
Yikes! we in the 2022 model year got, are getting, a steal! Man I would think twice about it now, esp, since the tax credit changed for income and the 80k. Would still get it but would be a nose holder. So thankful I got it this year.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
And what's the alternative?? Rivian? Cybertruck? Silverado?

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Hey, could all you folks who said "I'm out" go ahead and cancel your reservation at the Ford site pretty please? Then the rest of us crazies can move up in line at our dealer to make this process more efficient :):). Plus you get $100 back in your pocket! Thanks in Advance!!

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
I think I will get the XLT SR without options if there is not any type of tax credit available when I order. If there is a point of sale tax credit available I would get the Lariat SR. Not as excited about the dwindling options- Blue Cruise was a want but not something I will pay to include

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
We still don't know what the qualifiers are for the manufacturing/content rules (due by end of year) even if you qualify under income limits and MSRP limits... Without going into the specific political issues, it's going to look very bad if there are basically no qualifying vehicles for the full $7,500 and so they'll either stretch and water down the requirements in rules from the Sec'y of Transportation, or Congress will try to tack on a "fix" in some must-pass bill that will suspend those requirements for a while longer.

What that means? I think everyone needs to assume no rebates. Most states won't have rebates, the states that do may/will run out of money by the time you get your truck. And for most people around me, I can't recommend an SR battery because we have a lot of highway driving, we will have winter, and there will be crazy range surprises for people - and ER means no credit due to the $80k limit.

I think fuel savings is where you're going to have to demonstrate the value of the Lightning. Where I live, it's $0.096 per kWh for electricity, and $4.25 for gas. Predictions are that supplies are tightening and we're expected to exit the year at about $4.35 average in the US. 100,000 miles with 85% charging efficiency is about $5k fuel cost for Lightning; with the Powerboost it's about $18K and with the 5.0 it's about $23K. The comparable F-150 to my Lariat Lightning was upper $69k for an $11K cost difference (although you can argue that the gas F-150 allows you to customize the truck and drop a bunch of the stuff you wouldn't normally use, whereas Lightning has less packaging options).

I agree with you about build option granularity. It will be interesting to see how much of the reduced granularity is due to the manufacturing limitations on a brand new product, and how much of it is part of a general strategy to reduce complexity of manufacturing through forcing less options for users.
I understand that Ford is trying to move towards a more streamlined product offering regime where customers and dealerships have fewer options to pick from. This is similar to what Ford did with the Ford Fusion starting with the 2019 model year.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
The US is a big country. We literally have millions of millionaires and millions more that make poor decisions with their money. Ford will have no issues selling every Lightning that can make the next few years. You don't need most people to be onboard. You need less than 0.01%.
Interesting that the implication of your comment is that cloth seats are a no go for an $80K vehicle is that leather is where it is at. The reason I say interesting is that near luxury and luxury OEMs have started to move away from leather towards cloth and other sustainable materials.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Interesting that the implication of your comment is that cloth seats are a no go for an $80K vehicle is that leather is where it is at. The reason I say interesting is that near luxury and luxury OEMs have started to move away from leather towards cloth and other sustainable materials.
Well, I believe the Lariat isn't "real" leather.

However, I think you quoted the wrong comment..

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Was planning on ordering a Lariat ER to squeak under the 80k credit limit, but I guess I’m going to change the fleet order to Pro ER and hold out for however long that takes. I might have been ok with a XLT ER but pretty disappointed even that one doesnt qualify anymore