• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2023 Lightning ordering starts in August?

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I find it wierd that Ford is catering so much to fleets, but retail sales would be where they make the most profit due to higher trims being bought. They could probably easily sell all the Lariats and Platinums they can make for the next 3 years.

Heck, they are talking about 2023 ordering, yet a lot of people who reserved in the first few hours don't have a scheduled build date yet.
I see your point here... But it really shows that you don't understand the situation is much worse than you think.

I think your statement was based on your own experience of ordering and not having a build date.

But here is the real problem that shows how bad the reservation worked for many people.

Many of us ordered within the first few hours similar to you, heck many ordered within the first few minutes, and still haven't even been invited to place an order.

I sympathize with you and your long wait for a build date, but that's nothing compared with the long wait of people waiting for an invite to order... Many of whom had reservations placed immediately upon the system opening on May 19, 2021.

If Ford continues to funnel all the vehicles to ZEV states, many of us could end up waiting until 2024.

In other words, you don't have it that bad relative to other people who reserved early.
Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Does anyone know if Ford typically sets trim allocations at the start of year or if they adjust? The 22 year seemed to have been set before the ordering ever started. Makes me wonder if Pros run out if there is any chance they get new allocations later on.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Does anyone know if Ford typically sets trim allocations at the start of year or if they adjust? The 22 year seemed to have been set before the ordering ever started. Makes me wonder if Pros run out if there is any chance they get new allocations later on.
With the exception of wave 7...all the trim allocations were done(set) before the wave invites even started. I remember us talking about how a vast majority of the vehicles in 2022 would be Lariat ER.

Supposedly, Ford is following indicated demand(pre sale surveys, focus groups, etc)-- but I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that. It seems like they underestimated PRO demand.

I don't *think* they will adjust production mid year. If anything, they will do later allocations like wave 7-- tell dealers they have XX of YY trim trucks available for order and then have the dealers ping customers to see if they are interested in the available trims.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
The first question I would ask is how many reservations are left from ZEV states vs. non-ZEV states, and what pacing they need to have on ZEV to cover the year. Do they have enough outstanding reservations from ZEV states to maintain their required balance?

Would they open up for new reservations and then prioritize ZEV folks over the non-ZEV who reserved day 1?

I would hope that they make moves to clear out their backlog before opening things up to new reservations, but the need for ZEV credits might dictate they push non-ZEV orders out even further until lines can handle more and demand shifts.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I would think that if Ford ends up opening public ordering during 2023MY then it would be after all reservation holders have been invited to order and given a chance to either order or pass.
Also if Ford is going to have to majorly increase allocations to dealers with a lot of reservations if they intend to get through the backlog of reservations.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I see your point here... But it really shows that you don't understand the situation is much worse than you think.

I think your statement was based on your own experience of ordering and not having a build date.

But here is the real problem that shows how bad the reservation worked for many people.

Many of us ordered within the first few hours similar to you, heck many ordered within the first few minutes, and still haven't even been invited to place an order.

I sympathize with you and your long wait for a build date, but that's nothing compared with the long wait of people waiting for an invite to order... Many of whom had reservations placed immediately upon the system opening on May 19, 2021.

If Ford continues to funnel all the vehicles to ZEV states, many of us could end up waiting until 2024.

In other words, you don't have it that bad relative to other people who reserved early.
I know there is worse things. I'm just saying that Ford really screwed up and should have at minimum made sure everyone that reserved within the first few hours got to order and receive a truck regardless of allocations. Once that is fulfilled, then turn to allocations for the rest.

I'm just unhappy this is taking so long as I expected to have one during the summer since I was well within the first 10,000 reservations, probably closer to 5,000. I probably wouldn't care as much if my car wasn't a total loss back in April so I've been driving a 2008 f150 XLT HDPP (xcab with 8' box) which has no comfort options except AC. The Lightning is going to feel tiny compared to the truck I'm driving now and cost about 1/8 the amount to drive.
Going from having everything except cooled seats, to having nothing sucks! Especially on a truck so long and don't even have a backup camera.

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Ford is going to have to majorly increase allocations to dealers with a lot of reservations if they intend to get through the backlog of reservations.
Exactly!

I'm really curious to see how Ford addresses this.

The current system of allocations will never clear the backlog at these dealers if they open it up to new orders prior to taking care of current reservation holders.

Many dealers have hundreds of reservations and only got allocated single digit allocations for 2022. If reports here are to be believed, many of these dealerships are only anticipating single digit allocations again next year.

How on Earth will Ford get these people their trucks using the current allocation strategy? It will take several more years even with expected production ramps. Introducing new orders to this mess could make the wait endless.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Ford really screwed up and should have at minimum made sure everyone that reserved within the first few hours got to order and receive a truck regardless of allocations. Once that is fulfilled, then turn to allocations for the rest.

I'm just unhappy this is taking so long as I expected to have one during the summer since I was well within the first 10,000 reservations, probably closer to 5,000.
Where did you get those numbers?

Mannequins+5/19 reservations in the first two and a half hours before midnight were very close to, if not exceeding, full MY22 production.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Where did you get those numbers?

Mannequins+5/19 reservations in the first two and a half hours before midnight were very close to, if not exceeding, full MY22 production.
I reserved within 20 minutes of the presentation starting, so was estimating from the fact that they had 20,000 in the first 24 hours - it isn't an exact number.

Mannequins are another one of the dealer BS...there is no reason for them to have made them except to get all the quality control issue out of the way and have the issues with the demo trucks instead of customer orders.
I am in Canada which is probably anything thing against me since Ford really favors the US. I am however in Vancouver, BC (BC has ZEV mandates that need to be met by 2025) and there are EVs everywhere with a really strong presence by Tesla (I drive 12km to work and probably see about 30 or more tesla EV each direction).

Ford has given build dates for trucks that were reserved days after the presentation, sometimes even months yet a lot of people that reserved withing minutes didn't even get to order.
Why did they schedule wave 7 orders when there are still a lot of outstanding orders that don't have a build date?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Why did they schedule wave 7 orders when there are still a lot of outstanding orders that don't have a build date?
That is another mystery reserved to the Ford boardroom, but I agree a higher percentage of early wave 1 & 2 orders should have already been placed in production, even with trim themed production balancing each build week they could have had all Jan 6 order in process within a month!

Why a wave 7?, They had available capacity for remaining production weeks.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
They estimate the production mix of models and trims. Ford can only adjust so much because commodity contracts are made in advance.

The PRO is limited because it is a "loss leader", not because of parts allocations.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
They estimate the production mix of models and trims. Ford can only adjust so much because commodity contracts are made in advance.

The PRO is limited because it is a "loss leader", not because of parts allocations.
Which is why the other trims, especially the Platinum are so expense. They need to make the money back somehow...