• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Interesting. I’ve tried several times above 86%, but all have failed for my vehicle. Now that I did the BMS reset, I’m having trouble getting it above 78%… I just don’t get it.
I really was not expecting it to update at 86%. Left the truck running for several hours, and was disappointed to see it only at 86% when I got home. Went ahead and started the update expecting another failure and expecting to head into work tomorrow so I could update via FDRS. Checked my Ford Pass app to see update installed. Haven't been out to the truck to confirm yet.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Interesting. I’ve tried several times above 86%, but all have failed for my vehicle. Now that I did the BMS reset, I’m having trouble getting it above 78%… I just don’t get it.
The parameters that determine if the battery meets OTA conditions is more than just SOC. It also looks at battery capacity, voltage, temperature, drain and then uses a formula to determine a "capacity needed for OTA" and an "adjusted available battery capacity" to make the final determination of whether it will attempt the install or not. See example below from another Lightning from someone on here I checked earlier:

"errorCode":"InhibitRequiredHvNotQualifiedLvLow(204)""projectedLvSoc":"Insufficient12VBattery(32)""totalLvBatteryCapacity":"20""currentLvBatteryDataQuality":"OK""currentLvBatteryVoltage":"12""currentLvBatterySoc":"92""currentLvBatteryTemperature":"23""dynamicPostUpdateSocThreshold":"35""estimatedTimeToActivate":"420""estimatedTimeIncludingRollback":"750""currentDrainRate":"50""capacityNeededForOta":"10""adjustedAvailableLvBatteryCapacity":"16""projectedPostOtaLvCapacity":"6"

As you can see, his SoC was recorded at 92%, but the battery capacity is only 20%. So the algorithm declined the update install because the capacity needed for OTA is too low for the formula to meet the criteria.

awilli1010

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 lightning, 22 maverick, old ass Harley.
Occupation
Retired Army, retired Government employee.
The parameters that determine if the battery meets OTA conditions is more than just SOC. It also looks at battery capacity, voltage, temperature, drain and then uses a formula to determine a "capacity needed for OTA" and an "adjusted available battery capacity" to make the final determination of whether it will attempt the install or not. See example below from another Lightning from someone on here I checked earlier:

"errorCode":"InhibitRequiredHvNotQualifiedLvLow(204)""projectedLvSoc":"Insufficient12VBattery(32)""totalLvBatteryCapacity":"20""currentLvBatteryDataQuality":"OK""currentLvBatteryVoltage":"12""currentLvBatterySoc":"92""currentLvBatteryTemperature":"23""dynamicPostUpdateSocThreshold":"35""estimatedTimeToActivate":"420""estimatedTimeIncludingRollback":"750""currentDrainRate":"50""capacityNeededForOta":"10""adjustedAvailableLvBatteryCapacity":"16""projectedPostOtaLvCapacity":"6"

As you can see, his SoC was recorded at 92%, but the battery capacity is only 20%. So the algorithm declined the update install because the capacity needed for OTA is too low for the formula to meet the criteria.
I’ve charged my battery to 98% and my install has still failed numerous times. I’ve run out of ideas.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I’ve charged my battery to 98% and my install has still failed numerous times. I’ve run out of ideas.
Are you leaving the power supply while the OTA install attempts?

Read the first post here:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-get-failed-otas-to-install.29749/

These vehicle inhibit updates have been a PITA since day one for all Ford connected vehicles. I know it can get frustrating......been there, done that. It is the nature of the beast with the vehicles we have.

awilli1010

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Are you leaving the power supply while the OTA install attempts?

Read the first post here:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-get-failed-otas-to-install.29749/

These vehicle inhibit updates have been a PITA since day one for all Ford connected vehicles. I know it can get frustrating......been there, done that. It is the nature of the beast with the vehicles we have.
I’ve did that, it failed. I’ve charged using the diffent methods from the mach e forum that you recommended. This is the first time that I’ve had issues with software.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I’ve did that, it failed. I’ve charged using the different methods from the mach e forum that you recommended. This is the first time that I’ve had issues with software.
One thing I've been doing when an extended time / scheduled install is required.

Shut off my PAAK enabled phone, move the key fob away from the truck so that neither are trying to interact with the truck during a ~30 minute quiet time (where I select install now), so far I've had good results.

awilli1010

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
One thing I've been doing when an extended time / scheduled install is required.

Shut off my PAAK enabled phone, move the key fob away from the truck so that neither are trying to interact with the truck during a ~30 minute quiet time (where I select install now), so far I've had good results.
Thanks! I’ll try that. I’m almost ready to give up!

Simsonic

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
What I've learned from this thread?

Ford's seven computer engineers either suck a$$ or they are overwhelmed and are busy trying to put out fires. Either way @Ford Motor Company, get your friggen act together and put together a competent technology team. Having forum posters try to figure out how to install updates is just stupidity.

Solution:

1. Copy what Apple and Tesla does.
2. Hire 20 Apple/Telsa Computer programmers immediately
3. Get out of their way and let them make all the technology related decisions for the App and Vehicle Updates.
4. Rinse and repeat.

Problem solved.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
What I've learned from this thread?

Ford's seven computer engineers either suck a$$ or they are overwhelmed and are busy trying to put out fires. Either way @Ford Motor Company, get your friggen act together and put together a competent technology team. Having forum posters try to figure out how to install updates is just stupidity.

Solution:

1. Copy what Apple and Tesla does.
2. Hire 20 Apple/Telsa Computer programmers immediately
3. Get out of their way and let them make all the technology related decisions for the App and Vehicle Updates.
4. Rinse and repeat.

Problem solved.
The T3 platform will use that method of development.

Legacy systems are dependent on device vendor developers, unlikely they will in house everything.

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
Read through the post I linked above. @flyin525 messaged me yesterday to look into his failed 6.8.0 OTA. Just like everyone else, it was failing due to the battery conditions not meeting whatever the algorithm Ford set for the updates to install. He tried the fan method of charging and he got it to go through. Maybe he can chime in on his experience here. Not sure if he ended up resetting the BMS or not, but he did message me saying he got it to go through.
Trying last one today, resetting BMS. 🤞

Sponsored

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
After Successful update, are they posting to message center in The ford pass app?

my last 2 6.x have not - it was a good place to track our history.

didnt know if this was another feature they “removed to improve our experience” LOL 😂

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
After Successful update, are they posting to message center in The ford pass app?

my last 2 6.x have not - it was a good place to track our history.

didnt know if this was another feature they “removed to improve our experience” LOL 😂
No, but under [Vehicle, Features & settings, Software Updates, Recent Changes]

You will find the most recent update for as long as it appears on the home screen, but once that clears then this piece of information disappears as well.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Post #137 above from @rugedraw was my truck and I posted the results over in the Mach-E forum so I could get Mach-Lee to weigh in. His diagnosis was a bad 12V battery since it is showing to have only 20 AH of capacity instead of 35. Here is the report from rugedraw reformatted and [notes added]:
Error Code:
- Inhibit Required HV Not Qualified LV Low (204) [My HV SOC was 82%]
- Projected LV SOC: Insufficient 12V Battery (32)
Total LV Battery Capacity: 20 [units are Amp-hours. New battery is 35]
Current LV Battery Data Quality: OK
Current LV Battery Voltage: 12 [volts, bad rounding!]
Current LV Battery SOC: 92 [%]
Current LV Battery Temperature: 23 [degrees C = 73F]
Dynamic Post Update SOC Threshold: 35 [%]
Estimated Time To Activate: 420 [time in seconds, = 7 minutes]
Estimated Time Including Rollback: 750 [12.5 minutes, release notes say 13 minute install time]
Current Drain Rate: 50 [average mA during rest]
Capacity Needed For OTA: 10 [the amount of Amp-hours the OTA could use]
Adjusted Available LV Battery Capacity: 16
Projected Post OTA LV Capacity: 6

Looks like it's time to schedule a dealer visit to have the 12V diagnosed. Truck is 14 months into warranty. I was tempted to do the BMS reset but was afraid the battery could be going bad. Didn't want to tell the truck the battery was new and it try the update and fail during updating.

He also said the 50 mA drain was high, need to check that. If anyone else uses Car Scanner app, can you check your 12V battery quiescent avg.? Mine is 50 mA:
Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.8.0 - Smart Changes: Center Screen 1702757660889

awilli1010

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Read through the post I linked above. @flyin525 messaged me yesterday to look into his failed 6.8.0 OTA. Just like everyone else, it was failing due to the battery conditions not meeting whatever the algorithm Ford set for the updates to install. He tried the fan method of charging and he got it to go through. Maybe he can chime in on his experience here. Not sure if he ended up resetting the BMS or not, but he did message me saying he got it to go through.
I don’t know why, but it finally updated. I tried it again, went for a walk, and when I came back it was finished. Thanks to all for your helpful input. This forum is awesome.

ziptbm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME GT & '22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Mine finally went through. After bms reset and overnight off (after 3 hours of fan on method and it not budging from 77%), I put a battery maintainer on the 12v this morning and got it to 92%. Attempted the install and it finally worked. Glad it went though, but this is still far too painful.
Sponsored