• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pro power ground fault detected on 240v well pump

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
I did it for my whole house. Try it, ford we’ll protect it self.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Nope ..... no rewiring kits will be allowed to be promoted on this forum, spam banned most recent poster.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Nope ..... no rewiring kits will be allowed to be promoted on this forum, spam banned most recent poster.
Rewiring kit? What was even posted? Was he suggesting a rewiring of the truck's electrical system?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Rewiring kit? What was even posted? Was he suggesting a rewiring of the truck's electrical system?
Yes, a bypass harness of some sort that would interfere with the GFCI circuitry, don't know that it's even possible, but we're not entertaining such a contraption.

123XYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Is the stuff on the left side of that box converting two-phase power to run a three phase motor? If so, your pump motor needs three hot wires and no neutral. When the system is running normally, I'd check the voltage between every pair of wires in that plug (6 measurements).

Added curiousity, a ground fault happens when current is returning to the panel by a route other than one of the current carrying conductors (hot or neutral) that are connected to the breaker. In a home, the alternate path is through a ground wire or through the dirt In a truck, that's through the chassis. Given the big rubber tires no detectable current should be able to return to the truck through the dirt but it can return to the chassis via a ground wire in the cord you're using to connect to the pump panel.

I'm no electrician, but I suspect that a grounding electrode should be bonded to neutral in the panel and that no ground wire should be connected to the truck. But if your generator has its own grounding rod, that might be the wrong way to connect it to this panel. You may well have a ground fault in your pump (current returning to the panel through dirt), but you still shouldn't have a ground fault to the truck (current returning to the inverter via grounding through the chassis) unless that current is returning through a ground wire in the cord you're plugging into the truck. You shouldn't hook it up this way yourself without an electrician (not me) saying it's safe. But I'm reckless. I'd do it after connecting a voltmeter between the truck chassis and a grounding electrode and only as a test to see if the ground fault error recurred and whether there was AC voltage between the truck and the dirt. I wouldn't touch the truck while it was hooked up like this and I'd hook things back up the way they had been after the test.
Sponsored