• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ProPower can now be used with vehicle off?

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I wonder if this is the OBCC update that showed up in FDRS a couple of days ago. @Mike G have you installed the update yet?
Sponsored

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
Hopefully we get an update for that. Donā€™t hold your breath.
From the Car and Driver article announcing the new Lightning trim.

New features for all 2024 model-year F-150 Lightnings include an automatic lock function when you exit the truck and walk away with the key in your pocket, and the updated BlueCruise 1.2 hands-free driver-assist feature. The optional ProPower onboard generator now automatically powers on when you unlock the truck, meaning that you donā€™t have to physically start the truck before plugging in devices. Ford says that these upgrades will be offered as software updates for existing owners of 2022 and 2023 Lightnings.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The optional ProPower onboard generator now automatically powers on when you unlock the truck, meaning that you donā€™t have to physically start the truck before plugging in devices.
That seems odd. It makes it sound like ProPower is always on when unlocked??? There has to be more to this.

Regardless of the particulars, Iā€™m glad to see that itā€™s destined for our trucks.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
You might be thinking of the vehicle shutdown timer. It defaults to 30 minutes and you need to disable it to use PP for extended periods.
I had a 12 hour power outage a couple weeks ago and used PP to run the house. After a few hours I realized I hadnā€™t turned off the shutdown timer but it never turned off. I need to experiment again to see if thereā€™s been a change to the setting.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I had a 12 hour power outage a couple weeks ago and used PP to run the house. After a few hours I realized I hadnā€™t turned off the shutdown timer but it never turned off. I need to experiment again to see if thereā€™s been a change to the setting.
Interesting. Iā€™ve always just disabled the timer. Iā€™ll try not doing so next time.

Fryballin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat 511A Iced Blue, Max Tow
On a different note, if I left the accessory on or for some other reason 12V battery is low and I want to fill it up, is there a downside to disabling the timer and leaving the truck on so HV battery can charge it?
The truck manual says the high voltage battery will charge the 12 volt battery when the truck is off. Iā€™m actually not sure it even charges the 12 volt when running because once the truck is on, the dc to dc converter uses the HVB power to power the 12 volt accessories.

Ford F-150 Lightning ProPower can now be used with vehicle off? IMG_5457

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™m actually not sure it even charges the 12 volt when running because once the truck is on, the dc to dc converter uses the HVB power to power the 12 volt accessories.
The DC/DC converters capacity is more than sufficient to charge the battery and maintain 12v operations

Last edited:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The truck manual says the high voltage battery will charge the 12 volt battery when the truck is off. Iā€™m actually not sure it even charges the 12 volt when running because once the truck is on, the dc to dc converter uses the HVB power to power the 12 volt accessories.
The DC/DC converters capacity is more than sufficient to charge the battery and maintain 12v operations
This is even more puzzling now. If 12V battery gets charged when the truck is awake as well as when it is sleep, then people fixing their update problems with charging the 12V battery must be just in their mind and a matter of coincidence. Or max limit of when charging stops does not match the min limit of what some of the updates need. Or parasitic power loss is higher than we thought and charging frequency lower than needed to top off for update to succeed.

has anyone hooked up anything to record when and how often power is flowing into their 12V and at what voltage/SOC it stops?

OP
OP
petemill

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
The 12v battery only gets charged by the HVB when it's very low, and very sparingly. Whereas the update process may require a higher voltage to proceed as a failsafe to not begin to apply an update when the 12v battery might run out very soon. That process is likely all based on the assumption in the code that there is no HVB and DC-DC automatic charging (i.e. ICE vehicle).

Ford F-150 Lightning ProPower can now be used with vehicle off? 1692981945343

Ford F-150 Lightning ProPower can now be used with vehicle off? 1692987379605

Last edited:

Sponsored

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Could someone please update here when they get the update. Iā€˜m really looking forward to selling my Honda 2000i generator this fall and need to have this figured out. We lose power about 3-4 times a winter. Usually short 2-4 hrs.

OP
OP
petemill

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
Could someone please update here when they get the update. Iā€˜m really looking forward to selling my Honda 2000i generator this fall and need to have this figured out. We lose power about 3-4 times a winter. Usually short 2-4 hrs.
For that short period, what's your issue keeping the vehicle on and ProPower on with what we have right now?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Interesting. Iā€™ve always just disabled the timer. Iā€™ll try not doing so next time.
I used it on 8/19 to power a fan (Cars and Coffee, makes people stop and talk). Turned off 30 minutes later, because I forgot to turn off the timer.

Not getting the issue. Start truck, turn off timer, power house. Turn off truck's HVAC if you're not in it. Works fine.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
For that short period, what's your issue keeping the vehicle on and ProPower on with what we have right now?
I'd like to be able to just start ProPower, turn off the truck and lock her up. Woudl be nice to have ProPower control on the app.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've used ProPower for both my home and while camping off-grid, and have had no issues with any time limits - it's just goes until it gets down to the 'miles' limit you have set... which is interesting, because Ford asks you to set a limit of 'miles', not 'percentage'...

there is certainly a 'time limit' on the truck remaining 'ON', which is 30 minutes, unless you override that within the settings screen, or you push the 'o.k.' button on the steering wheel when it alerts you. When ProPower is ON and in use, I'm not sure that limit is in effect.
Sponsored