• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Regenerative braking seems reduced over the past week

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Anyone notice that over the past week or so it seems to take longer to stop with one pedal braking? Someone on Facebook posted about this and I have to agree. The one pedal braking now seems to take more distance to fully stop, not at 100% charge. Anyone else have this experience/feeling? SR Pro here.
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Nevermind, it seems to have been confirmed that @Ford Motor Company did an OTA update that increased the stopping distance for one pedal driving/braking. Disappointed, the previous version worked great.
If first part of break pedal is Regen, I may even turn off one pedal driving. Minimizing Regen and friction break at the same time may maximize tire life and range. Very curious to see how Rivian tires do with that high Regen.

timothyedwards

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning XLT, Chevy Avalanche, Nissan Leaf
I am very disappointed in the change. I loved the way the regen was before. I understand the initial roll off was agressive but they changed it way too much and made it weak. I am hoping in the future that there will be a "regen option" in settings you can choose mild vs agressive or something.

OP
OP

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I am very disappointed in the change. I loved the way the regen was before. I understand the initial roll off was agressive but they changed it way too much and made it weak. I am hoping in the future that there will be a "regen option" in settings you can choose mild vs agressive or something.
@Ford Motor Company Fix it.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Have you tried putting the truck in sport mode and seeing if it is any better.

I don't have my Lightning yet, but not looking forward to this change. I thought the Regen on the demo unit I drove a few months ago was a little on the weak side as it was.

vacasity

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning 2022 XLT
i immediately noticed this when the OTA came. I liked the previous version and now i find myself rolling past the limit line because I don't want to use my breaks.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
Have you tried putting the truck in sport mode and seeing if it is any better.

I don't have my Lightning yet, but not looking forward to this change. I thought the Regen on the demo unit I drove a few months ago was a little on the weak side as it was.
Sport mode regen is much more aggressive in two pedal driving that normal mode.

i immediately noticed this when the OTA came. I liked the previous version and now i find myself rolling past the limit line because I don't want to use my breaks.
I don’t know about one pedal (I won’t use it since I drive so many different vehicles between work and home), but using the brake pedal in two pedal uses regen first before engaging the service brakes. I left the braking coach turned on for now, I consistently get 100% energy recovered while using the brake pedal in normal driving. If you really stab the brake pedal the service brakes are engaged, but on a normal stop it appears to be all regen.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
You can still use the brake pedal. We have blended brakes so whether it is in 1pd or you have to use the wide pedal, gentle pressure will be regenerative braking. Calibrating 1pd differently does not change the regenerative capacity of the system.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You can still use the brake pedal. We have blended brakes so whether it is in 1pd or you have to use the wide pedal, gentle pressure will be regenerative braking. Calibrating 1pd differently does not change the regenerative capacity of the system.
For me at least, it isn't about losing potential regen, but about how you want to drive the truck. Using 1PD and regen to stop, and timing it so you stop exactly at the line, is a skill that can add some more enjoyment to the drive. Not quite the same as a stick shift, but it is all we really have for EVs at this point.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If first part of break pedal is Regen, I may even turn off one pedal driving. Minimizing Regen and friction break at the same time may maximize tire life and range. Very curious to see how Rivian tires do with that high Regen.
break pedal? friction break? o_O

OP
OP

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
For me at least, it isn't about losing potential regen, but about how you want to drive the truck. Using 1PD and regen to stop, and timing it so you stop exactly at the line, is a skill that can add some more enjoyment to the drive. Not quite the same as a stick shift, but it is all we really have for EVs at this point.
Yeah I had it timed now I have to let off the pedal sooner as the truck is rolling more before stopping:/

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I understand. Our bolt and xc40 EV were/are driven in 1pd mode. I also think that 1pd should be fairly aggressive in its calibration. You can get less by releasing the pedal less. You can not get more once you have completely released the skinny pedal. For everyone who says that it is too aggressive, just release slower. The pedal inputs are not full on/full off (any of the pedals, though a clutch pedal is closest to all it nothing). I was just trying to point out that if regeneration is the goal while stopping, 1pd or 2pd does not matter as long as the input is gentle and within the regenerative capacity.

OP
OP

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Which update changed 1PD regen?
That's the mystery, I noticed it first this past Sunday and several others on Facebook also noticed it, someone mentioned there was an OTA for it but didn't provide details
Sponsored