• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Snow Drive Mode Request

Willebrew

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Pre-Order | Lightning Lariat ER Owner
Occupation
Software Developer & CEO - ADAS research and development for fun
Winter isn’t too far away and I would love to see a snow mode that changes the tuning of the powertrain for snow and ice conditions. Surely I’m not the only one requesting this from Ford. If they change the steering, throttle mapping, one pedal driving intensity, traction management, etc. for snow and ice, that would be super helpful. Who else wants to see this come in a future update?
Sponsored

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Magnetewan River near Georgian Bay Ontario, Canada
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Ice Blue, 2023 Lightning Star White
Occupation
Retired
Canadian here, I've been in Texas during an ice storm and snow and can say Texans have a problem. Also have a Mach e and a Lightning both with snows and I use one pedal. I worried and thought I would use whisper in the winter conditions but engage works well so no need for snow mode. you have that under your right foot eh! Great in winter conditions.

OP
OP
Willebrew

Willebrew

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Canadian here, I've been in Texas during an ice storm and snow and can say Texans have a problem. Also have a Mach e and a Lightning both with snows and I use one pedal. I worried and thought I would use whisper in the winter conditions but engage works well so no need for snow mode. you have that under your right foot eh! Great in winter conditions.
I’ve been through a winter storm in my Lightning and yes, it handles the conditions very well, but it could be tuned better for icy conditions. It’s super fun to slide around but occasionally one pedal skids because it’s slowing down too quickly. Having those tweaks would boost my confidence a bit.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Normal, and don't use one pedal.

Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I’ve been through a winter storm in my Lightning and yes, it handles the conditions very well, but it could be tuned better for icy conditions. It’s super fun to slide around but occasionally one pedal skids because it’s slowing down too quickly. Having those tweaks would boost my confidence a bit.
Why not just turn off one pedal mode?

OP
OP
Willebrew

Willebrew

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor
If you start a slide in one pedal, does antlock kick in? Seems like it would almost have to... getting back on the gas would definitely be counter-intuitive if you started to slide.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If you start a slide in one pedal, does antlock kick in? Seems like it would almost have to... getting back on the gas would definitely be counter-intuitive if you starred to slide.
Yes, I’ve had ABS engage when using 1PD. It felt to me like regen shut off temporarily while ABS was doing it’s thing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Willebrew

Willebrew

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yes, I’ve had ABS engage when using 1PD. It felt to me like regen shut off temporarily while ABS was doing it’s thing.
Same, one pedal does work with ABS.

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor
Makes total sense.

Gives you another tidbit of appreciation for the amount of stiff going through the computer(s) at any one moment.

Wheels out of sync = slide
Shut off regen.
Start abs procedure

And then we get cranky when it's not delivered on time! 🤣

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
If you start a slide in one pedal, does antlock kick in? Seems like it would almost have to... getting back on the gas would definitely be counter-intuitive if you starred to slide.
Yes, same with light regen braking. But it's a little scary -- regen basically suddenly cuts off and then ABS starts doing its thing, which feels like an acceleration relative to what regen was doing before.

I would compare it to an ICE car if you unnecessarily jabbed the brake pedal hard on snow/ice. Yes ABS kicks in, but you also get a little bit of sliding compared to if you never broke traction to begin with. It's less desirable compared to carefully feathering the accelerator/brake to avoid traction loss in the first place.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Personally I found that Lightning in normal mode without one pedal one to be a very capable vehicle in all types of winter weather. The extra weight makes a huge difference. One pedal drive in snow seems like cruise control on in snow.... very bad idea.

OP
OP
Willebrew

Willebrew

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yes, same with light regen braking. But it's a little scary -- regen basically suddenly cuts off and then ABS starts doing its thing, which feels like an acceleration relative to what regen was doing before.

I would compare it to an ICE car if you unnecessarily jabbed the brake pedal hard on snow/ice. Yes ABS kicks in, but you also get a little bit of sliding compared to if you never broke traction to begin with. It's less desirable compared to carefully feathering the accelerator/brake to avoid traction loss in the first place.
Exactly, this is why it would be nice to have a snow & ice mode. I’m so used to one pedal that turning it off seems counterintuitive.
Sponsored