• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Thanksgiving Travels - Who's taking the Lightning?

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I have a trip coming up about 150 miles each way from Massachusetts to the boonies of Maine. There's plenty of 150kW DCFC on 95 south of Portland, but after that its a 62.5kW charger in Auburn and Level 2 chargers.

I keep going back and forth on if I should take the Lightning or the family minivan purely out of convenience. The last thing I want to do is have to stop and charge for an hour with the cranky kids and upset wife. I could charge on 120VAC at the house we're staying at or even a Level 2 charger a mile away if I want to leave my truck there for hours, but is it worth it? I'm struggling.

Also, the mi/Kwhr is unknown when the temps will be in the 20s, cabin heat cranking, etc.

Who's taking the trip with the family and in a similar position? The comfort, safety and enjoyable driving experience of the truck is why I want to go for it. It'll be my first public charging and range anxiety experience.
Sponsored

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
I’m heading up to Omaha, NE from Central Texas next week. My two concerns are the weather and how busy EA will be. If the highs don’t get below 40° then I’d feel better. It’s about 50/50 on mild or cold weather in that part of the country in late November. I’m familiar with the EA stations on the route and it’s not uncommon for 1/2 of the 4 cabinets to be out of order. Couple that with increased traffic due to holiday travel and it may become a huge annoyance.

I’m leaning towards taking my wife’s PHEV Volvo. I hate buying gas but I’m not willing to inconvenience myself that much just to save a few bucks.

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
if you don't show up in your lightning, you'll never hear the end of it at the dinner table from the EV naysayers...
I tend to agree. But, when I run my 100ft extension cord to charge off the 120VAC outlet at the house, the EV naysayers will make their comments then!

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I’m heading up to Omaha, NE from Central Texas next week. My two concerns are the weather and how busy EA will be. If the highs don’t get below 40° then I’d feel better. It’s about 50/50 on mild or cold weather in that part of the country in late November. I’m familiar with the EA stations on the route and it’s not uncommon for 1/2 of the 4 cabinets to be out of order. Couple that with increased traffic due to holiday travel and it may become a huge annoyance.

I’m leaning towards taking my wife’s PHEV Volvo. I hate buying gas but I’m not willing to inconvenience myself that much just to save a few bucks.
That's another concern.... increased traffic. I keep looking at ABRP and PlugShare assuming that the stations that I may hit will be available when I get here. I can't imagine pulling in, seeing them all filled up, wait an hour for my turn and then another hour to charge. My wife, 3yo, 5yo and 7yo will freak out.

Sponsored

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I have a trip coming up about 150 miles each way from Massachusetts to the boonies of Maine. There's plenty of 150kW DCFC on 95 south of Portland, but after that its a 62.5kW charger in Auburn and Level 2 chargers.

I keep going back and forth on if I should take the Lightning or the family minivan purely out of convenience. The last thing I want to do is have to stop and charge for an hour with the cranky kids and upset wife. I could charge on 120VAC at the house we're staying at or even a Level 2 charger a mile away if I want to leave my truck there for hours, but is it worth it? I'm struggling.

Also, the mi/Kwhr is unknown when the temps will be in the 20s, cabin heat cranking, etc.

Who's taking the trip with the family and in a similar position? The comfort, safety and enjoyable driving experience of the truck is why I want to go for it. It'll be my first public charging and range anxiety experience.
What’s your destination? Rangely? There are 62.5kW chargers in Farmington and Skowhegan too.

I think you’ll be fine if you can find a decent L2 charger for overnight use. L1 charging will be useless with the cold. On your way up I’d recommend charging to 80-90% at the Scarborough Walmart EA charger. Then top up at the 62.5kW chargers.

I just did the drive from Worcester to Sugarloaf last weekend. Went fine but took about 50 minutes of charging time. The “350kW” ChargePoint chargers at the Northbound Kennebunk service plaza were busted so I had to make it up a bit as we went along.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Will make a 400 mile round trip from Dallas to central OK. The 200 miles one way is easy in the summer, but could present a challenge, as mild winter has come through.

The only EA charger on my route is a pain to get to in Ardmore and not consistent so I'll skip that. I've got 240 charging at my moms house, so no issue at my destination.

hile they are also not super reliable, at least Francis Charging has put enough chargers across OK I should be able to find a couple working along the way. The best one I found was actually in Shawnee, which is my destination, so I should be OK.

Any further than the 200 mile leg and I'd be much more concerned.

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
What’s your destination? Rangely? There are 62.5kW chargers in Farmington and Skowhegan too.

I think you’ll be fine if you can find a decent L2 charger for overnight use. L1 charging will be useless with the cold. On your way up I’d recommend charging to 80-90% at the Scarborough Walmart EA charger. Then top up at the 62.5kW chargers.

I just did the drive from Worcester to Sugarloaf last weekend. Went fine but took about 50 minutes of charging time. The “350kW” ChargePoint chargers at the Northbound Kennebunk service plaza were busted so I had to make it up a bit as we went along.
The chargers in Kennebunk down is my biggest fear. Banking on a quick top up, but they're broken would screw me.

I'm heading to Rumford, ME. At the Lewiston/Auburn exit there will be a dual 62.5kW/125kW station in the future. For now there's two 62.5kW stations at a Rowe dealer in Auburn that I may use. I was hoping for a quick 15 minute pit stop. The 62.5kW stations you need a good hour to make a dent compared to the 150kW stations.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
The chargers in Kennebunk down is my biggest fear. Banking on a quick top up, but they're broken would screw me.

I'm heading to Rumford, ME. At the Lewiston/Auburn exit there will be a dual 62.5kW/125kW station in the future. For now there's two 62.5kW stations at a Rowe dealer in Auburn that I may use. I was hoping for a quick 15 minute pit stop. The 62.5kW stations you need a good hour to make a dent compared to the 150kW stations.
The Scarborough Walmart EA charger isn’t far off the highway but only 2 out of 4 stations were working last Thursday. They are fast though.

The Rowe Auburn 62.5kW chargers work well. It’s also where I bought my truck!

I wound up charging for 20 minutes at Kennebunk’s 62.5kW. Then 10 minutes at Rowe, then another 20 minutes at the 62.5kW chargers at Hannaford in Farmington. Wasn’t ideal but we made it work.

Capertrj

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150

It’s a little farther south but the outlets in Kittery have some newer charging stations. I drive past them every day and usually see 1/2 vehicles charging.

Sponsored

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Heading up to Boston, taking the Lightning.

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
It’s a little farther south but the outlets in Kittery have some newer charging stations. I drive past them every day and usually see 1/2 vehicles charging.
We live in Amesbury, MA, right on the MA and NH border. There are EA charging stations in Seabrook, NH and Scarborough, ME. Then DCFC in Kittery, ME and Kennebunk, ME. The issue I'm seeing is after Scarborough there's only 62.5kW in Auburn and then only L2 charging. If I leave Amesbury with 100% charge, maybe I could top off to 80% from say 70% at the Scarborough location.

In the future there will be a 125kW station in Lewiston that'll be ideal, but right now it's just the
Heading up to Boston, taking the Lightning.
Heading to Boston is easy. Tons of chargers.

My situation brings me into the middle of no where. That's the concern.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I am crossing my fingers that maybe, just maybe, I will have mine in time...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
For 159 miles each way, I think you are really over thinking it. Do you have an ER or SR truck. If you have an ER a quick 20 minute charge around Portland each way should be all you need - and you may not even need it on the way back.

Reactions: kab
OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
For 159 miles each way, I think you are really over thinking it. Do you have an ER or SR truck. If you have an ER a quick 20 minute charge around Portland each way should be all you need - and you may not even need it on the way back.
Honestly, I tend to agree. It's just the unknown of the Rumford, ME area. I'm trying to use ABRP at 666watts per mile. That's about 1.5 miles/kwhr which is think is fair with cold temps, highway speeds and heat on. It's suggesting like you said. Hit the Scarborough WA on the way up to fast charge to 80%. 120VAC charge while staying at the house for 24hrs. Then Kennebunk on the way back.

I think it's the kid and wife factor that gives me anxiety more than anything else. No way can I justify driving home at night, kids sleeping in the back, and pull over for 30 minutes in Scarborough.
Sponsored