• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Thanksgiving Travels - Who's taking the Lightning?

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Low thirties on the way to Princeton. Mid fifties on the way back.
Thanks, your mpk mirror my results from my last ~240 mi trip in similar temperatures👍👍
Sponsored

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Miles per KW: I did "pre condition" the Lightning before the trip down, but the miles per kWh was only 1.3, even though I was driving at just 60 MPH. (After encountering no lines at the first stop, I decided to abandon the 60 MPH and dove my normal 73 MPH). The Miles per KW did not go down. And by the end of the trip, the total miles per kWh was 1.8. I can only assume that the lower miles per kWh on Thursday was due to the much colder temperatures on Thursday vs the warmer temps on the return trip Saturday.
Seriously, 1.3 even preconditioned? I'm not sure if I've heard of any other EV losing 50% in just 30 degree weather when preconditioned. That seems pretty bad.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
just returned from my second 800 mile run to return my two 'college' sons to their respective homes in far N Alabama and far N Georgia, from west central Georgia(Americus/Plains)...

nice ride from Americus to EA Stations in Oxford Alabama, off I 20... worked fast and easy.

charged up on 240v 30amp while overnighting with 'first' son in Hazel Green AL...

across to the east side of Chattanooga, EA in Ooltewha TN, for more Fast and Easy charging...

after dropping off 'second' son in Young Harris GA, via TN and NC route, stopped N of Atlanta at EA in WOODSTOCK GA, for, again, MORE fast and easy charging...

arrive home PERFECTLY: 2% remaining as I coasted into my carport. So much cheaper to charge at home.

(this was somewhat identical to the first path before Thanksgiving to 'pick up' the boys)

...and, as a note, even with HIGH WINDS most of the whole day coming 'home', both trips averaged, after all the UP HILLS to the mountains, and returns... 2.4mile/kwh. Lightning PRO.

When I say 'up hill to the mountain', to give you perspective, my 'home' is at roughly 500ft above sea level, in elevation. My son's respective elevations are near/over 2,000ft. So, you are driving 'up hill' for 250 miles... that's like driving 'up' at 150 story building. No 'skyscraper' in NY City comes even CLOSE to that.
Of course, you get the advantage of coming 'down' it, too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
arrive home PERFECTLY: 2% remaining as I coasted into my carport. So much cheaper to charge at home.
Just the opposite here in the New England, at the moment my new garage service is running 39 C/KWH, but soon it will be 26 C/KWH once the transition to a new energy provider is done.

Our Thanksgiving run to and from Nashua NH went well, temps ranged from 34º in the morning to 47º by afternoon, I started intentionally with a SOC of 80% so that on the return loop, I could top off at EA-Wrentham Mass only 10 miles (~3%) from our home.

During the days travels got down to 22% when we arrived at EA, boosted up to 80% in 39 minutes at 24 c/min plus mass sales tax it cost only 10.00 even tax included, that was 79.34 KW or 12.6 cents a KWH. The last 10 miles to the house drew down to about 77%, topped that off back to 80% with the FCSP, $1.53 Total trip cost us 11.53 to drive 151 miles or 7.64 c/mile.

Miles per KWH ranged from 1.6 to 1.9, trip average was 1.8

Overall a good experience, we were comfortable and maintained 66 mph on i95, i495 & rt-3

Last edited:
OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Reviving this thread.

After driving the Odyssey on Thanksgiving, I decided to take the Lightning to Maine for Christmas. With the high temps and lack of congestion on Thanksgiving weekend, I figured I'd go for it.

I easily averaged 2.2kWhr/mile on the way up going 70mph on 95. Then charged up at Rowe Ford for 30 minutes while picked up some stuff at Target next door.

In Rumford now with 180 miles in the tank and could possibly make it back to Massachusetts without charging. Such a better ride using Blue Cruise on the way up.glad I did it.

Capertrj

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Bump. Apparently asking for info in a new thread is frowned upon with people in Michigan.

I am looking to travel to Bar Harbor from southern Maine. Any tips ? 100% precondition in southern maine, no rush. tips?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Bump. Apparently asking for info in a new thread is frowned upon with people in Michigan.

I am looking to travel to Bar Harbor from southern Maine. Any tips ? 100% precondition in southern maine, no rush. tips?
What does abrp suggest and how do those stations suggested look on plugshare?
Sponsored