• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Top Lightning gripes or dislikes.

Shrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, Energica Eva Ribelle
- Cupholders are too small

- UI is not good - charging information should be more easily accessible from the screen and you should be able to set the zoom level on the map one time and have the truck leave it that way.

- All the random lights and noises the truck makes - low speed, frunk opening, tailgate opening, door opening, stuff beside you, etc.

- Bluecruise / lanekeeping needs work. I don't see the phantom braking or sudden acceleration others have posted about, but I'm constantly fighting lanekeeping when it tries to drift into the next lane. And then it'll cancel itself without warning, and re-engage without warning.

Coming from Tesla, still by and large happy with the transition (note: I haven't had the "opportunity" to travel long distance without the supercharger network yet), but my 2017 Tesla did everything listed above very well, so it's tough to look past that stuff.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
And then it'll cancel itself without warning,
I find this occurs when in the right lane, and an entrance or exit ramp come up to the right. If Iā€™m in the middle (of three) or left (of two) lanes, it almost never happens. Seems itā€™s an issue of the right stripe disappearing suddenly when entrance/exit lanes merge.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I find this occurs when in the right lane, and an entrance or exit ramp come up to the right. If Iā€™m in the middle (of three) or left (of two) lanes, it almost never happens. Seems itā€™s an issue of the right stripe disappearing suddenly when entrance/exit lanes merge.
++1
I get the same issue happening when the on/off merging ramp lane markers shift over.

Though I'm starting to see a change in the way MASS DOT paints lines at the ramps, they are placing a short spaced lines to define the right margin of the right travel lane where the merge off and merge on zones are situated, these seem to help autonomous driving to continue without interruption.

Ford F-150 Lightning Top Lightning gripes or dislikes. 1673281431017

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
worst part of the truck by far is the front suspension. Way too soft and mushy. Bottoms out very easy and bounces around. Canā€™t wait for a replacement from fox or king.
Yes!! I thought it was just me. It is way too soft, like the the shocks arenā€™t meant to hold the extra weight of the truck. I couldnā€™t remember if it was always like that, or if a few thousand miles wore them out.

Anybody else having issues like this? Is it poor shock absorbers, undersized or some other issue? It is it just the design, and we need aftermarket ones? (Anybody do that yet?)

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Updated thoughts after 6000 miles on my Lightning...

Compared to other Ford vehicles I own and have owned over the past 5 years, I have to say that the B&O sound system is inexcusably bad. I mean, the much less capable B&O system in my Bronco Sport Badlands sounds 10X better and it's still pretty lame.

The HVAC system is weak. My other Fords are way better. I suppose they thought they would scale it back on the Lightning to be more energy conscious? But it seems to not be that efficient when running heat. I think they could have done a lot better here. And I shouldn't need to blast AC up front to make the 2nd row livable for passengers. Should have a couple pillar vents for the 2nd row or much better airflow from the pedestal vents with a discrete fan for independent control. Seat heaters work OK, but not as nice as in our '18 Expedition Limited that nicely and evenly warms the whole seat pan and up your back. The cooling of the seats in the Expedition is also a lot more powerful and evenly distributed.

Charge port location is kinda dumb. It seems like it would be just fine there and it flows with the design of the truck. But I routinely find that I have to pull up as close as I can get at many DCFC locations where the cord barely reaches. If it were up front or at the rear tail light, it would work a whole lot better.

Front and 360 cameras should come on a lot earlier than they do... No reason I should be getting proximity warnings long before the camera views automatically pop up when parking, assuming they come up at all. WTF? Glad they at least put the camera button on the top of the UI now, but still not the real solution.

Why does the truck have to beep so much with everything it does?

Truck rides nice overall but is too mushy off-road.

Plug N Charge doesn't work, no matter what I try and I can't seem to get it working or be able to use my free charging credits. I just get charger connection errors and timeouts. But if I initiate from the EA app it all works fine and I get the pass rate. Just want to use my free credits while they're still there.

Trip navigation and charger routing is bad. Comically bad coming from Tesla. It helps now that chargers and a few other things are incorporated into CarPlay so I don't have to use Ford's navigation or flip back and forth. But not great. FWIW, Rivian's is pretty horrible too. They just acquired ABRP, which I don't understand why as it's terrible as well. But ABRP is weirdly popular, those of us who have become accustomed to Tesla's routing have been spoiled.

Cup holders are too damn small. This is on all newer Fords... What are they thinking?

All things considered though, I'm still really liking the truck overall. I've never owned a "perfect" vehicle and even with its flaws and obviously cut corners, the Lightning is still a winning entry from Ford. I think the upcoming T3 project truck will be pretty great.

Sponsored

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Yes!! I thought it was just me. It is way too soft, like the the shocks arenā€™t meant to hold the extra weight of the truck. I couldnā€™t remember if it was always like that, or if a few thousand miles wore them out.

Anybody else having issues like this? Is it poor shock absorbers, undersized or some other issue? It is it just the design, and we need aftermarket ones? (Anybody do that yet?)
So I gave "sport" mode a try last night, and maybe it's the placebo effect, but it seems like a tighter and less mushy ride.