• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Top Lightning gripes or dislikes.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
1)Tow/haul mode shuts off one pedal drive.
I love the one pedal drive once I got used to it. It seems silly to not use the Regen function with a load? If you have a trailer connected with in regular mode the blis system keeps thinking someone is in the Blindspot.

First, the truck ALWAYS uses regen, no matter what 'mode' you are in, but in 'Sport' or 'Tow' mode you will always get MORE regen. One Pedal drive feature has nothing to do with regen, it simply is applying the physical braking, for you, to bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
Secondly, there is nothing that says that you 'must' use TOW mode when towing. It's simply another option - you may choose to use 'Normal' mode, or 'Sport' mode, if you wish, because you like the outcome better. I imagine that the engineers did not apply one-pedal to towing simply because you are then asking the truck to bring the full vehicle AND trailer/camper to a complete stop - that could result in undesired outcomes, with all the added weight.

2) My truck doesn't save my trailer as default trailer. Have to set it up each time I connect it. Wish you could program the default settings different.

Interesting, as I've never had this issue. The 'default' camper I originally set up always comes as the 'option' when attached to it.

3) How tall the truck sits and how it sits butt high. I'm waiting for the aftermarket to offer a lowering kit to at least make the truck sit level without lifting it. Even with 600lbs of tongue weight it sits 4 inches high in the back. Me personally I would lower it 6-8 inches and do away with the running boards. The bed sides are so tall as it is you can't get stuff in and out without using the tailgate.

TRUE: and I believe most of this is due to the need to keep the battery pack well above the road surface. At approximately 8" or so now, it's likely the engineers did not want to push the truck lower, although being able to 'reach over' into the bed might be nice, at times. I personally see no issue with it - it's a truck.

4) folding shifter. To me this seams like unnecessary parts. Why not make it push button on the dash somewhere and just give us either another seat up front or a useable flat area in between? Currently you have to move all your stuff including drinks in the cupholder, fold the shifter ECT and then fold it all up to get in the console. I ended up building a wooden platform to hold my paperwork and clip board. Maybe I'm old-school and just got used to my F250 being more user friendly?

I suppose that some of us 'like' the shifter, whether folding or not, and some will not. I've had a Nissan Leaf, and now my wife's Kia Sorento PHEV, and both have the rotating knob. I've grown accustomed to both options, and don't mind either. Now, whether the 'folding' shifter is a 'neat' feature, or a relatively unused feature, is up for your own desires. I like the shifter, as it comes across as the more typical 'truck' style, but I also don't mind a knob that accomplishes the same task. For those of us with a PRO, the folding shifter is certainly just a 'feature', that's mostly nothing more than an unused 'idea'. If it's a hold-over from other ICE F150s, I could understand. If it's a 'new' feature, then it was more of an afterthought.

5) integrate the existing cameras to allow recording. It's kinda silly with all the tech that comes on this truck to not be able to replay the info from the cameras.

I guess most truck owners would wonder why you'd ever want to 'replay' anything from cameras.

6)I understand this is a safety issue but I don't like how you can't move the truck with the door open. I never new this was an issue till I got the lightning. Occasionally I will have to readjust the truck on a job site or such and it's awkward to get in and completely shut the door to move 1 ft.

You CAN move the truck with the driver door open, once the truck is already moving.
I've done this several times, but I think the safety mechanism is more designed to keep you from putting the truck into 'gear' while the door is open. It it's already moving, then the door opening should not affect it.
I'll test this today to confirm.

I've been driving pick up trucks exclusively for over 35 yrs so maybe I get in a rut? What would you change?

Yes, agreed: we all 'compare' to what we already know, or as used to. If this was a new vehicle for an owner that has not had a 'new' vehicle in many years, the new 'differences' are amazing, and probably much less to be critical about.

over 10,000 miles in 111 days: this truck is AMAZING!
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Have not actually used the Frunk for much except for a few tools stored under the Frunk floor.
I would trade a foot of length off the Frunk for a more cab-forward design with a 1-foot longer cargo bed in the same wheelbase.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Anyone else driven crazy by the Frunk going into a state of stupor if you put the truck into drive if it's not 100% closed? Why can't the Frunk just continue closing the last few inches when you put the truck in drive like the tailgate on any regular vehicle?

My son puts his backpack in the Frunk for school drop off (yes, he's flexing on his friends, but kids be kids) and probably 20% of the time I end up looking like an idiot (and probably making Ford look bad too) driving away with a partially open Frunk, having to pull over, and then play upsy-downsy with the Frunk before I can drive away again.

If I sit there waiting the full time for it to close I risk being honk-blasted by the 50 people in line behind me wondering why I'm not driving because my kid is halfway to class before the Frunk fully latches.

This seems like it could be such an easy fix....

Love the truck for the most part though!
I just experienced this for the first time this past weekend. It seems very stupid and truly very unsafe. I pulled up to toss groceries in the frunk - it was raining hard out and I was blocking other people. I hit the down button, partner was jumping in, I put the truck in drive and the freaking Frunk just froze. That is the last thing and stupidest thing I ever want to have happen. Horribly unsafe. Either don't let me take the truck out of park or continue closing it once I do. If I'm headed off down the road I don't want it left open. Really no words to mince here, it's just stupid on Ford's part. Just like when you remotely start the truck in the summer and the AC is cooling the truck, but you open the frunk to put something in - it shuts down the AC. Nothing about that makes sense.

sparta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
... but you open the frunk to put something in - it shuts down the AC. Nothing about that makes sense.
Plus 1k! The ending of remote start on Frunk open boggles my mind...

Given that the Frunk is such a defining feature of the vehicle, I hope Ford implements these simple software fixes ASAP. As it stands right now I spend more time defending the quirks to interested parties than preaching of the value it adds.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
My biggest gripes on the Pro model so far:

-Pro seats are too tall, my head is an inch from the top of the cab (though I will say I like the material and there is enough cushion in them).
-No remote start button on Keyfob.
-Unreliable Android Auto Wireless connection

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
No reason codes for failed OTA updates.

@Ford Motor Company please clue us in on what the problem might be!!!!!!

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
For my Lariat:

1. Non-adjustable (un-tilt) headrests. I took mine out, and need to order 2021 adjustable ones
2. Entire UX with Sync and how poorly integrated it is with the truck capabilities (e.g. should have usage rolls)
3. UI bugs and intermittent issues
4. Sync deadend. Should get Android Automotive if this trcuk version gets it at all
5. Bluecruise intermittent functionally
- Lane keeping does not unsteer in a specific two lane highway corner. I nearly had a header!
- Lane keeping on and off does not make sense to me (why off often)
- Lane keeping ping ponging (not as often as others have experienced)
- Intermittently missing speed signs, leading to speeding
- Brake stabs due to activity in adjacent lanes
- Hands free turning off for no reason (it rocks when it works)
6. HIS does not support charging the truck from solar (which is why I placed my order)
7. FCSP CCS connector when most will never use the DC pins. Should be removable.

There other issues, most are related to Sync functionality, but otherwise the truck ROCKS!

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
-Inconsistent lock button on door handle. Tried several times on driver's door handle, then walked over to passenger side door handle and it worked. Plenty close for Keyfob pickup I would think.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
-Inconsistent lock button on door handle. Tried several times on driver's door handle, then walked over to passenger side door handle and it worked. Plenty close for Keyfob pickup I would think.
I had an issue with this until I realized I was holding the inside of the handle a bit while pressing the button... and it only seems to work if you just hit the button. ...until of course you tap it 5-7 times before it activates.

• Not a truck problem itself but not having a way to charge at home yet is a problem (I don't have a garage, or a driveway, and it sucks.)
  • The way the heater is destroying range
  • Frunk open/close button on the frunk itself stopped working a few days ago. Remote/in-vehicle buttons work fine.
  • Front air dam failure
  • Why can't I precondition the goddamn battery when it makes sense to?
  • Where are my damn software updates?

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
  • Not a truck problem itself but not having a way to charge at home yet is a problem (I don't have a garage, or a driveway, and it sucks.)
Did you have any kind of plan for home charging before you bought the Lighting?

Sponsored

JustBuyATesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat, 22 Tesla Model Y, 65 Vette
Sorry if I missed it ... but somebody please tell me how to stop the warning beeps when the driver door is open. There are way too many beeps and warning bells/pop-ups/etc but that one is just maddening!

Thank you in advance!

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I agree with others - not being able to see the active charge rate in the truck is frustrating - especially coming from the Tesla world.

FordPass is trash and the truck software update is also trash. These are both things I have known from previous F150s so no shocker. The frustrating part, especially with ford pass, is it could be so much better - just looking at the APIs Ford provides they could add so much additional functionality to that app.

edit - I want to see the battery percentage on the dash without using calm mode. I don’t like theGOM.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Just crossed the 1000 mile mark on my Lightning...

My biggest complaints are:

* Lack of true preconditioning, especially when not plugged in and we're dealing with sub-freezing temperatures. The element heater sucks up way more power than it should.. that thing is terribly inefficient.

* Dash display cluster is stupid. Lots of missing info like battery percentage and charge details.

* All the beeps. Door beeping, frunk beeping, reverse beeper... WTF?? Make it stop! I had to leave town, but I've ordered the external speaker bypass thing and will be removing the frunk beeper when I install the bypass.

* Ford's navigation with charging... It is totally moronic how it picks charge stations along your route.

* No quick access to front and 360 degree cameras. Front camera will display automatically only once front proximity sensor is triggered. I know it's only 2 taps on the main display, but still this is not ideal.

* All the Sync 4 bugginess and missed features/ opportunities.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
6. HIS does not support charging the truck from solar (which is why I placed my order)
This is most likely a local utility stipulation for you. We don't have that restriction here... But it seems many areas still don't want certain types or sizes of backup batteries or systems, in some cases any type, to be able to charge from solar. They're forcing you to pay for power from the grid if you want to store it.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space