• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
"How's she pull?" I got the question from everyone at the campsite, but not until the frunk opened up. Every other time it was just another F-150. Loved it.

TLDR: Turns out, she pulls great! In case you're wondering, better than the Rivian R1T.

With us hitting spring, I decided to take my Hi-Lo out to de-winterize and for one last camp before we list her for sale. (PM me if you're interested!)

It was about 125 miles each way, there were DCFC roughly 30-35 miles away, but I was determined to make it without using them. So I proceeded, roughly 40F with some high winds and cutting it close I gripped tight and prepared to white knuckle it as I pulled uphill to the site....turns out, it wasn't necessary.

I did it previously in the Rivian R1T and she made it with ease. The Ford worried me because it calculated roughly 100 miles of range when I hooked her up. I pulled at roughly 5mph over speed limit the entire way, occasionally gassing it to give some big rigs room. Turns out, I worried for nothing. I averaged an indicated 1.3mi/kWh there and the GoM showed about 40 miles remaining when I pulled up.

Ford F-150 Lightning Towed 25' Hi-Lo Travel Trailer to Hickory Run State Park... Lightning pulled great! (Better than Rivian) IMG_3710

Upon check in, I noticed the visitor center had 4 EV L2 charging spots - all free. It was nice to know for next time, but it wasn't needed anyway. I pulled into my full hookup site, unhooked the trailer, and went through my de-winterization before heading to some trails and the nearest Walmart (~35mi) where there was an EA station. After grabbing some supplies I looked at the range and decided I was ok and headed back. I arrived at my campsite with 20 miles on the GoM after making the roughly 70-80 mile round trip after unhooking at 10pm.

Once at the campsite I hooked the trailer to the 30A, and the truck to the 50A on the mobile charger. I kept the propane tanks off on the Hi-Lo and used full electric. Electric space heater, induction stove top, electric microwave, and the refer and hot water heater were both set on electric mode. The travel trailer never pulled more than 22A, and the truck was back to 80% charge by 8am.

Ford F-150 Lightning Towed 25' Hi-Lo Travel Trailer to Hickory Run State Park... Lightning pulled great! (Better than Rivian) IMG_3780

All in all, we spent 4 days and 3 nights there and never once used the L2 chargers. It was a great place to camp, the kids loved climbing into boulder field. The nearby towns offered a reprieve when we wanted to go further, we even hit up a nearby drive in movie theatre. With an air mattress in the bed and a blanket, it was incredibly fun to watch a movie under the stars.

Ford F-150 Lightning Towed 25' Hi-Lo Travel Trailer to Hickory Run State Park... Lightning pulled great! (Better than Rivian) IMG_3717

The return trip was a breeze, knowing I was headed downhill. The GoM this time only indicated 99 miles of range, that was clearly wrong as it still indicated 94 miles after driving nearly 40 miles. The first 20-25 miles of it was local with 40-55mph speed limits and I saw 2.3mi/kWh in tow. Once I got on the highway where it was 70mph, my average dropped and settled around 1.7mi/kWh by the time I arrived home for a round trip average of 1.5mi/kWh. For comparison, my lifetime average on the truck is 1.9mi/kWh, so it was roughly a 21% range hit with the Hi-Lo in tow, a far cry from the 40% the truck anticipated.

Ford F-150 Lightning Towed 25' Hi-Lo Travel Trailer to Hickory Run State Park... Lightning pulled great! (Better than Rivian) IMG_3798

How does that compare to the Rivian R1T? That truck averages 2.14mi/kWh lifetime. With the Hi-Lo in tow for the same trip - although different weather conditions - it averaged a round trip of 1.3mi/kWh, roughly 15% LESS efficient than the F-150 Lighting. Surprising given with nothing in tow, it's roughly 15% MORE efficient. My best guess is the Lightning already punches the hole in the air and has taken the hit where as the Rivian has to now punch that same envelope and completely loses it's size advantage.

What's all this mean? Well first, Hickory Run State Park is an easy EV visit. Second, to quote one of my temporary neighbors. "Well I guess that answers that! With everything I read I didn't think you'd be able to do it, I guess it's like getting used to going from gas to diesel and you just kind of get used to it huh?"

Yup. Definitely used to it. I also pointed out to him that we both paid $35 for the site per night, and I used roughly $40 in electricity (@nearby EA rates) to refill my Lightning last night while we slept and said our goodbye while his jaw remained opened.

What are some things that stood out? Well I need to purchase the cameras so I can use the center screen instead of my iPad and wireless trailer cam. The blindspot adjustment is awesome, and worked flawlessly. It took me a while to trust it, but after confirming it several times I started relying on it.

What doesn't work well is the Pro Trailer backup assist. I had it calibrated and was excited about it, but after a couple of attempts my frustration brought me to just backing it up myself. There wasn't a failure per se, but it was just easier to do it myself and offered better control than to futz with the dial.

Otherwise, I just wish I had more payload capacity so I could fit a 5th wheel on, which is what I really want for my next trailer. Maybe a F-250 Lightning is in the works...but that may just be wishful thinking.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Awesome trailer towing trip report!!!

Webbo85

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I have a vacation house 20 minutes from Hickory Run SP, great park! Kids love Boulder Field and Shades of Death! Some other free charging in the area too. And that’s not a Pro you’re driving like your name says! Great report!

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
I have a vacation house 20 minutes from Hickory Run SP, great park! Kids love Boulder Field and Shades of Death! Some other free charging in the area too. And that’s not a Pro you’re driving like your name says! Great report!
Oh right..I have to change that. I sold the Pro for a Lariat ER...boy do I miss the Pro. I'd get that extra payload for a 5th wheel and I'd probably only lose about 20-30 miles of effective range.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Very cool camper. This is essentially the same setup as the Lightship, minus the EV powertrain.

I wish they still made these (I don't really like the Trail Manors).

Sponsored
OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Very cool camper. This is essentially the same setup as the Lightship, minus the EV powertrain.

I wish they still made these (I don't really like the Trail Manors).
It's unfortunate they went out of business, but I would imagine someone would end up buying them out with the rise of EV camping. Even without the powertrain a 20% hit is highly palatable.

I do think we need to solve the hitching/unhitching problem though if we're going to tow longer distances. We can either fix charge station placement with more pull throughs, or we can fix the hitching to make it easier to get on and off.

A normal hitch isn't bad, but a WDH is a pain right now. I can see myself pulling in and go through the motion of taking weight off, removing the WDH bars, lowering it back down, releasing the ball then lifting the trailer, then hopping back into my truck to pull away....just in time to watch a VW ID4 pull into the last charging stall. Now I'm sitting for 15-30 minutes waiting for a stall. It hasn't happened yet but the first time it does, I'm probably spending 15-30 minutes grumbling while I scroll through F-250 Diesel listings.

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
I want your Hi-Lo. I probably can't afford it, but am curious about it none-the-less.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
so it was roughly a 21% range hit with the Hi-Lo in tow, a far cry from the 40% the truck anticipated.
does the truck know it’s a hi-lo?

Because the towing range hit isn’t weight, it’s drag

a hi-lo’s relatively low drag makes is an excellent choice for EV towing

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
does the truck know it’s a hi-lo?

Because the towing range hit isn’t weight, it’s drag

a hi-lo’s relatively low drag makes is an excellent choice for EV towing
It doesn’t know it’s a Hi-Lo brand, but when you put the trailer info in it accounts for height, width, length, and weight to calculate the range. It’s similiar to the calculator available on Ford’s site:

After that, I just need to set the trailer as active, the computer also remembers the mileage and efficiency of the specific trailer for future calculations. I just need more miles on it to get more accurate.

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
I want your Hi-Lo. I probably can't afford it, but am curious about it none-the-less.
Happy to answer any questions about the specific trailer (or any other model) and share the information I know. They’re relatively unknown right now.

I’ve seen them as low as $2000 (be wary) to as high as $15,000. They seem to settle around $6-9,000 for one in good condition and depending on model.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Happy to answer any questions about the specific trailer (or any other model) and share the information I know. They’re relatively unknown right now.

I’ve seen them as low as $2000 (be wary) to as high as $15,000. They seem to settle around $6-9,000 for one in good condition and depending on model.
What model is it? I'd like to look up some info on it
Sponsored