• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unexpectedly low range

Computermedic78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
I purchased a Lariat ER two weeks ago. I love the truck, but I'm getting 1.3-1.5 m/kwh. I have a usable range of 150 miles. I know I'm not going to get the advertised 300+, but I expected somewhere between 200-250. This is at 70mph, bluecruise, heat at 67 and everything else turned off. I set tire pressure to the recommended 42psi cold and I have a cover on the bed. I went back to the dealership today. They wouldn't bring it in to check for updates, and the salesman offered me $60k to trade it in. To me both responses are completely unacceptable. What am I doing wrong?

Ford F-150 Lightning Unexpectedly low range 20231208_091845
Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
It looks like you are in one pedal mode? That kills the range on my Lariat SR, I get around 2.1 which is still nothing to write home about compared to EV6 at 4.2. For some reason one pedal affects the range even more on the Ford than the Kia (which also loses range but not by as much). Coasting might be more important with all this weight.

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER (Iconic Silver)
It may also be a combination of cold weather/heating needs and highway speeds.

I picked up a Lariat ER as well 2 weeks ago, and I'm getting 2.8 mi/KWh. This is in almost opposite conditions... temperature in the 70s and mostly city driving.

OP
OP
Computermedic78

Computermedic78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
Mine is mostly highway, at 30 degrees external temp. It was reporting about 5-7% for external heating.

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Shouldn't one pedal help with regen? I would expect to get better range with it.
Ford will use regen when hitting the brake pedal until you are mashing the brakes to the point you need more stopping power than regen can handle. There is little to no difference between what 1PD does and what moderate braking manually will do.

r81stl1n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Shouldn't one pedal help with regen? I would expect to get better range with it.
I have found in my short time, 1 month of ownership, that Sport mode is better than 1-pedal. It allows a little more freedom. You still get regen, ~40% compared to the ~80% of 1-pedal.

benderofbows

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro; 2009 F-150 (SOLD); 2022 Bronco
Standard range is 200 in good conditions, but I'm seeing 170 miles (1.7 mi/kWh) at highway speed in 30 degree weather. HOWEVER I can run heat off (use seat heater only) and slow down to 65 (or 55 if possible) and still get the EPA 240 miles.

OP
OP
Computermedic78

Computermedic78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
Standard range is 200 in good conditions, but I'm seeing 170 miles (1.7 mi/kWh) at highway speed in 30 degree weather. HOWEVER I can run heat off (use seat heater only) and slow down to 65 (or 55 if possible) and still get the EPA 240 miles.
This is my issue. I'm getting less the SR ranges with my ER even in the same conditions.

I did try sport mode and it didn't make a difference for me.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
The temperature is your primary loss factor. The highway speed is also a contributing factor. I normally see about 2.0-2.1 during warmer weather(60-80). Since it has been colder (30-40) I seeing 1.6-1.9for the same drive.

Sponsored

benderofbows

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro; 2009 F-150 (SOLD); 2022 Bronco
Mine is mostly highway, at 30 degrees external temp. It was reporting about 5-7% for external heating.
Gotta slow down and turn the heater off to stay closer to summer range. Cold air is denser than warm air, so it's like a strong summer headwind. Now also subtract out your (resistive) heater usage, not just the external temp loss from battery chemistry.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I purchased a Lariat ER two weeks ago. I love the truck, but I'm getting 1.3-1.5 m/kwh. I have a usable range of 150 miles. I know I'm not going to get the advertised 300+, but I expected somewhere between 200-250. This is at 70mph, bluecruise, heat at 67 and everything else turned off. I set tire pressure to the recommended 42psi cold and I have a cover on the bed. I went back to the dealership today. They wouldn't bring it in to check for updates, and the salesman offered me $60k to trade it in. To me both responses are completely unacceptable. What am I doing wrong?

20231208_091845.jpg
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL

20231208_091845.jpg
Your MPK numbers are not very far off what I have witnessed over the course of 17,000 miles and many days in that type of temperature or colder. Please see attached as a ROUGH GUIDELINE as to how speed and temp affect MPK and Range.

Ford F-150 Lightning Unexpectedly low range F150 Lightning Range Matrix

As others have said...
Limit use of cabin heat, Drive slower (I hate that answer but its true), Precondition prior to driving for longer trips (Has to be plugged in to 240v to precondition battery).

Bottom line, this vehicle is great for many things. Frequent long trips in colder temps is not one of them!

OP
OP
Computermedic78

Computermedic78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
Assuming you have home charging... How many miles do you need to drive between charging sessions? Are you preconditioning your cabin before leaving?
I do precondition. That picture was taken right after. Unfortunately right now all I have is level 1 at home. Hopefully this weekend I'll get the Tesla charger installed so I have level 2. If anyone is wondering, yes it does precondition on level 1 if you tell it to precondition when unplugged.
Sponsored