• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unexpectedly low range

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
So why would I get 1.3 after leaving the charger
Did you shutdown the truck completely after finishing the charging session?

Doing so would reset the "This Trip" values, but if you did and still were getting 1.3 then it's a matter of how you're burning energy, driving, acceleration, heating.
Sponsored

mikenky

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 tesla model y and 16 chevy volt
Occupation
retired
i got 140 sun no heat just seats on 65 mph tires at 44 1.8miles to 1kwh

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
When you leave a DC fast charger, the battery is in the 90s. Getting 1.3 after that, measured on a reset This Trip, would be due to one of the following:

-You're driving excessively fast into a headwind.

Or

- You drove in very cold weather, long enough for the battery to cool back down (hours), and blasted the heat.

OP
OP
Computermedic78

Computermedic78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
When you leave a DC fast charger, the battery is in the 90s. Getting 1.3 after that, measured on a reset This Trip, would be due to one of the following:

-You're driving excessively fast into a headwind.

Or

- You drove in very cold weather, long enough for the battery to cool back down (hours), and blasted the heat.
It's a 45 minute trip from the charger to my house. Minimal wind if any at all, heat at 65, exterior temp between 30 and 40 F. Cruise control set at 70.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It's a 45 minute trip from the charger to my house. Minimal wind if any at all, heat at 65, exterior temp between 30 and 40 F. Cruise control set at 70.
Was This Trip reset?

If yes, charge to the same percentage you left the charger with, note the energy used, do the math.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Computermedic78

Computermedic78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
Little update. I dropped the truck off at the dealership last night, and I just heard back. There was a software update for battery management, and a recall on a part of the battery temperature management system. They say they should have the parts tomorrow so hopefully I'll have the truck back by the weekend.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Little update. I dropped the truck off at the dealership last night, and I just heard back. There was a software update for battery management, and a recall on a part of the battery temperature management system. They say they should have the parts tomorrow so hopefully I'll have the truck back by the weekend.
Hopefully they everything taken care of. Then you can go from “Unexpectedly low range” to “Expected low winter range!” 😀

mountchop

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, F-150
Your highlight in your link leaves out the next sentence:

Electrons do move. Granted, it's not that an electron from the grid-generating station races all the way to your charger at the speed of light. Rather, the EMF at the power station pushes electrons along the wire from atom to atom in a metal conductor, and this sequential displacement pushes one in the wire in your charger plug into your battery. And spent electrons are "slowly" pushed back to the power station similarly.***

Where do you get your statement that "Electrons never leave the battery" from?!

To charge the battery, you have to put electrons into the battery to convert Li+ ion to Li metal. In discharging the battery, you convert Li metal to Li+ ion, generating a flow of electrons OUT of the battery through a wire from the cathode.

The state of charge is the relative % of Li atoms that are metal out of all the chargeable Li atoms in the battery. So, you can be close to 100% Li metal but have low power due to lower voltage at lower temperatures in oxidizing the Li metal.

Go along any horizontal voltage line in the graph in my previous post, say the 3.4 volt line and you will effectively see the reduced power of the battery by the ability to output electrons down to a useable voltage. At 0 degrees C, there are only about 1700 mAh of useable electrons down to 3.4 volts, whereas at 23 deg C, there are about 1930 mAh or more of useable electrons down to 3.4 volts. You should take some time to understand or get chemistry homework help from experts before making any claims. I know that https://ca.edubirdie.com/chemistry-help specializes in such matters. You can reach out to them if you're a student. The graph is probably for a phone battery; the higher voltage in an EV battery is just achieved by stacking cells in series that follow the same chemistry and temperature dependencies.

***Edit_Update: Should correct my own comments to note that in an AC circuit, electrons just oscillate. But in a DC circuit, which is what's involved in charging and discharging a battery, electrons do move into and out of the battery. The Lightning has to convert AC to DC to charge its battery and the DC current from discharging the battery has to be converted to AC to run the truck's AC electric motors.

I read an article that electrons don't move through wires or within atoms. They exist as probability clouds distributed throughout space. Current is the result of the interaction of these clouds with an electric field created by a voltage source. Electrons don't physically travel; they only change their states. A battery is a chemical reactor that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. During charging, the reverse process occurs. The speed of charging/discharging depends, in part, on temperature and other factors. A cold battery is less efficient because chemical reactions slow down at low temperatures.

Last edited:

Sponsored

designthis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat SR Black 8/21/23 blend
Occupation
Builder
Honestly I would be happy with expectedly low. If I can manage 1.7-1.8 I'll be okay.
I’ve had my Lariat SR for exactly 4 weeks and have 2000 miles on it. I’ve never charged it anywhere except for my own home. Yesterday I rolled the dice took a 170 mile round-trip. I started out with 180 miles of range available. Temperatures were in the low 30s and on the way the climate control was set to 70—heated seats and steering wheel on. When I parked it at my destination I had 75 miles left. When I started it up to go home it was pretty chilly so heated up the cabin and, while driving, noticed that I had about 65 miles of range available and the GPS said I had 64 miles to go! Great! (I thought to myself) I’ll get home with 1 mile to spare! So I drove about 35 more miles like this—with the GPS and my range within a mile or so of each other—at 65mph on the interstate. All the while I’m averaging about 1.7. So I decided to give myself a little cushion and turned all the heat off and by the time I pulled off the exit, I had about 5 miles extra cushion. When I pulled in my driveway I had 9 miles to spare and my return trip averaged 1.9. Turning off the heat definitely helped! In short, I absolutely love this truck. It never fails to impress me. One thing I’m excited about it being able to use Tesla’s Superchargers. I think if they were available to me on this trip, I would have charged it. I’m still strangely apprehensive about the whole public charging thing. It’s definitely not convenient. I think if chargers were available like parking meters, no one would ever go to a gas station again. But right now they are way too sparse.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
@TaxmanHog , I noticed when looking your trip data screen that you had added a customized pic. to your customized profile. Would you mind sharing the steps for loading that?

Ford F-150 Lightning Unexpectedly low range 1702644806762

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Shouldn't one pedal help with regen?
Regen is like tax-write off, you are still losing energy just less of it. Minimizing the positive and negative acceleration saves the most energy.

I didn’t read the eight pages of posts so I apologize if some of this is redundant.

Based on the image in your original post, your guesstimated range is 192 miles. If it is cold weather and you leave some of your charging for right before departure, that heats up the battery and you can get more juice out of it.

Air is denser in winter and if you have a good podcast and time wise can afford a few miles slower, it may help. But too slow may not be good since heat and accessories will be running.

More booty warmer and less cabin heat may help.

If you are not worried about being stranded or having to go to DCFC, I wouldn’t go through too much hardship to improve the range. It will get better in spring.

OP
OP
Computermedic78

Computermedic78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
Just finished the first "long" trip since the dealership did their thing.

Day 1: Different stretch of the same road. NYS Thruway from Kingston to Syracuse, then down to Cortland.
Weather: Cloudy, temps from 25-30F.
Climate control: 65 auto level 1, heated seat on low.

I set the cruise control to 70 and let blue cruise do it's thing. Not much traffic on the way out to Syracuse. I was at 1.8m/kw when I stopped in Iroqois to fill up. $0.59/kw is a lot higher than I'm used to. Charged from 59%-90%, ~45 kWh for $26.50 plus tax. Headed down route 81 to Cortland was roughly the same, 1.7-1.8m/kw.

I changed nothing from before dropping the truck off at Ford, so the recall was certainly giving me issues. I saw roughly a 40% increase in range without changing my driving habits at all in the same weather conditions.

Day 2: Took a more scenic route back, 81 to 17 to 52 and on to 209.
Weather: First hour was snow, then sunny and clear. 25-30F.
Climate control: 65 auto level 1, heated seat on low.

For the first half of the trip I was again doing right around 65-70. I couldnt use any form of cruise control for the first hour, since the sensor was blocked. I charged in Hancock for 17 minutes from 65-80%, 25 kw, and $10. Again I averaged around 1.7-1.8 m/kw before stopping for lunch in Roscoe.

From Roscoe on, my average speed was closer to 55-60 with a few towns in between dropping to 30 for a short period. The second leg of the trip I averaged 2.3m/kw. The same type of driving gave me about 1.7m/kw before the recall.
Sponsored