• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
No, that isn't true. While the base chemistry for the cells (tech) is roughly the same (Ford uses different ratios), the Lighting cells are made by SKI and the Bolt was made by LG.
The issue with the bolt wasn't with the battery chemistry, but the physical assembly.
Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
From: Feb 15, 2023 3:00 PM ET | Ford Motor Company (F) | Clark Schultz, Seeking Alpha News Editor

Ford extends F-150 Lightning production halt through the end of next week

"Ford Motor (NYSE:F) confirmed on Wednesday that it is suspending production at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center through at least the end of next week.

A statement from the automaker indicated that during a standard Lightning pre-delivery quality inspection, one vehicle displayed a battery issue.

"We believe we have identified the root cause of this issue. By the end of next week, we expect to conclude our investigation and apply what we learn to the truck’s battery production process; this could take a few weeks. We will continue holding already-produced vehicles while we work through engineering and process updates. We are not aware of any incidents of this issue in the field and do not believe F-150 Lightnings already in customers’ hands are affected by this issue."

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
I seem to recall a production issue with the Mach E that resulted in a stop ship notice. It also was found during a Quality Inspection at the end of the production line. In the end it turned out to be some bolts that weren't properly torqued by recent hires. I could be fuzzy on the exact details, but before expecting a new Lightning battery or losing any sleep, I'll give Ford some time to figure out the cause and implement a solution.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
" A statement from the automaker indicated that during a standard Lightning pre-delivery quality inspection, one vehicle displayed a battery issue. "

My thoughts are Ford is being really cautious and prudent here. They know they cannot afford to screw up the reputation of the f150. My guess is they are going to take every potential problem(no matter how small) seriously...

Ford cannot afford to have a Bolt type incident tarnish the f150 name....

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
" A statement from the automaker indicated that during a standard Lightning pre-delivery quality inspection, one vehicle displayed a battery issue. "

My thoughts are Ford is being really cautious and prudent here. They know they cannot afford to screw up the reputation of the f150. My guess is they are going to take every potential problem(no matter how small) seriously...

Ford cannot afford to have a Bolt type incident tarnish the f150 name....
Or the old cruise control debacle. . .

Sponsored

MAhauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Ford has issued a statement today and it looks like it could be a few weeks:

“During a standard Lightning pre-delivery quality inspection, one vehicle displayed a battery issue. We believe we have identified the root cause of this issue. By the end of next week, we expect to conclude our investigation and apply what we learn to the truck’s battery production process; this could take a few weeks. We will continue holding already-produced vehicles while we work through engineering and process updates.”
“We are not aware of any incidents of this issue in the field and do not believe F-150 Lightnings already in customers’ hands are affected by this issue.”
“We will continue to update this story as more information becomes available,” Ford said.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
That statement taken on its face suggests this is a different issue from the module issue being discussed elsewhere in forum (and that I am experiencing).

with a single vehicle causing them to pause production and shipment, it suggests the issue was mission-critical/dangerous.

the separate module issue, on the other hand, is being handled somewhat casually on the down-low, with lots more than one vehicle implicated.

Reactions: GDN

jlwillia6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Silverado, ‘23 Lightning Lariat ER (ordered)
That statement taken on its face suggests this is a different issue from the module issue being discussed elsewhere in forum (and that I am experiencing).

with a single vehicle causing them to pause production and shipment, it suggests the issue was mission-critical/dangerous.

the separate module issue, on the other hand, is being handled somewhat casually on the down-low, with lots more than one vehicle implicated.
Can you summarize the module issue for those of us out of the loop?

erock

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2022 Expedition Limited
From: Feb 15, 2023 3:00 PM ET | Ford Motor Company (F) | Clark Schultz, Seeking Alpha News Editor

Ford extends F-150 Lightning production halt through the end of next week

"Ford Motor (NYSE:F) confirmed on Wednesday that it is suspending production at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center through at least the end of next week.

A statement from the automaker indicated that during a standard Lightning pre-delivery quality inspection, one vehicle displayed a battery issue.

"We believe we have identified the root cause of this issue. By the end of next week, we expect to conclude our investigation and apply what we learn to the truck’s battery production process; this could take a few weeks. We will continue holding already-produced vehicles while we work through engineering and process updates. We are not aware of any incidents of this issue in the field and do not believe F-150 Lightnings already in customers’ hands are affected by this issue."
It was probably mine, which is currently sitting on the ramp after being built, but not set for shipping.... sorry guys.

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Keep in mind, the batteries are not manufactured in the final assembly factory.

If they stop the production line they either want to test the most recent battery shipments or change the way they're installing them to ensure whatever went wrong with that one vehicle doesn't happen again.

Toyota pioneered a policy of stopping entire production lines to diagnose or eliminate problems decades ago and it's now standard operating procedure in most factories. They even stop for small problems. Although they lose a lot of time, it's still better than trying to diagnose and recall countless vehicles that are produced with the same defect.

It could simply be batch of some tiny part that cracks or doesn't quite fit as it should. Once they identify it, they re-order or re-design the part or change the installation procedure and they have fewer vehicles to recall later.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I seem to recall a production issue with the Mach E that resulted in a stop ship notice. It also was found during a Quality Inspection at the end of the production line. In the end it turned out to be some bolts that weren't properly torqued by recent hires. I could be fuzzy on the exact details, but before expecting a new Lightning battery or losing any sleep, I'll give Ford some time to figure out the cause and implement a solution.
EEK!
Don't say that - my MME is somewhere in Mexico waiting for 8 weeks.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
If it does not set my house on fire, I am not worried. However, I wonder if this issue has impact on the longevity of the battery performance of trucks already on the road, and it takes the battery down to 70% instead of 80% at eight years, would we ever know? In fact is there a battery life meter on the interface available to the owner that you could use to take it for a service if it goes under 70% during the warranty? If not, what does that warranty mean anyway?

OP
OP
Lightning64

Lightning64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Ford Lightning Lariat ER

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The article is weirdly written. It implies there was a fire because they say they reported a fire in a previous article, but then the link to that article is dead.

And a fire definitely isn't the same as "identified the issue on a Lightning unit during a standard pre-delivery quality inspection."

Personally, I'm waiting to hear some more confirmation before believing the two incidents (fire and battery issue) are the same incident.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.