• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ccarm6

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150 Lightning
hmmm no thanks! you should REALLY check with your insurance company...Ford requirements for installation of the 80A charger are clear and that's what insurance companies / local by laws will likely require.

For sure you can derate it, but I would not put my money on doing that without the proper set up, clearance from insurance company, local bylaw, etc...- if a fire were to happen, your insurance company will be looking at your house with a microscope and they could easily deny payment sole on the basis that you installed a 80A charger on a 200A when that specific charger had a clear outlined requirement for 400A....too much risk to lose my $1.1M house to something as small as that LOL...

I feel like a lot of people do work without thinking about the potential consequences to insurance, future sale, etc.

You realize Pioneer74 is a Ford employee in Dearborn at the Rouge production line right? You know, the facility where these Lightnings are being manufactured? Also, no electrician is going to install the necessary equipment against recommendations of Ford or Sunrun because their butts would be on the line as well…Oh and nice plug about the cost of your house. Really impressive man.

And funny that you mention people doing things without thinking about potential future consequences. In addition to considering those, I also like to post with up to date, knowledgeable, and accurate information.
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
hmmm no thanks! you should REALLY check with your insurance company...Ford requirements for installation of the 80A charger are clear and that's what insurance companies / local by laws will likely require.

For sure you can derate it, but I would not put my money on doing that without the proper set up, clearance from insurance company, local bylaw, etc...- if a fire were to happen, your insurance company will be looking at your house with a microscope and they could easily deny payment sole on the basis that you installed a 80A charger on a 200A when that specific charger had a clear outlined requirement for 400A....too much risk to lose my $1.1M house to something as small as that LOL...

I feel like a lot of people do work without thinking about the potential consequences to insurance, future sale, etc.
Why would my insurance company need to know about an EV charger ?

Doesn't it just need a licensed & bonded electrician who pulls a permit from the city /county ?

My 200A service is more than enough according to my electrician for adding an extra 100A breaker.

My current PHEV L2 charger has a 30A breaker and my electrician can install another 100A breaker in the same garage.

He said due to many gas appliances, the house does not come close to using up all the wattage from the panel. Since we charge overnight, the load on the panel will be negligible.

Shigoku

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 Lariat, 2022 Lighting Lariat ER
Occupation
Shellfish
Got my reservation number on day one. Ordered my truck last week. Lariat ER. Just a tad over $80K.
Fine print said delivery estimate 20 to 24 weeks. (20 weeks on the battery). Late July maybe?

Carlarich22

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, F-250, Explorer
Occupation
Retired
I am so disappointed. I made my reservation at 8:03 pm MST (Colorado) on May 19th. But I have not gotten an invitation to order. Does anyone even know how many actual invitations have been sent?

Carlarich22

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, F-250, Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Got my reservation number on day one. Ordered my truck last week. Lariat ER. Just a tad over $80K.
Fine print said delivery estimate 20 to 24 weeks. (20 weeks on the battery). Late July maybe?
Lucky. You. I placed my reservation on May 19th at 8:03 pm Mountain Time. I should have been able to order by now but nothing has come.

Sponsored

Deleted member 9341

Doesn't it just need a licensed & bonded electrician who pulls a permit from the city /county ?

My 200A service is more than enough according to my electrician for adding an extra 100A breaker.

My current PHEV L2 charger has a 30A breaker and my electrician can install another 100A breaker in the same garage.

He said due to many gas appliances, the house does not come close to using up all the wattage from the panel. Since we charge overnight, the load on the panel will be negligible.
Likely a non- issue

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Just ordered...
Ford F-150 Lightning Wave 4 invitation - did you get one?? 1645491204162

........................ a Mach E . Imagine my surprise when the Lightning picture came up after ordering the Mach E . I was talking to my dealer about the possibility of ordering a mach E as my backup plan to get the tax incentive. He told me the Mach E order banks are closing next week so I better do it soon. He wasn't sure why they were closing, just that they were. It's possible they want to either catch up with their backlog or they dont want too many outstanding orders once the incentive disappears for Ford at 200,000. I'll wait and see if the lightning situation improves since the mach-E is about 6 months out.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I am so disappointed. I made my reservation at 8:03 pm MST (Colorado) on May 19th. But I have not gotten an invitation to order. Does anyone even know how many actual invitations have been sent?
We reserved at about the same time, I'm in Mass (A ZEV state) and got a Wave-3 invitation to order.

I think only high level Ford Corp folks know the big picture of how many invitations have been sent the first 4 waves to date. But going with the rumored 15,000 to be built in model year 22, then 4/6th of that have been sent by now +/- speculation

Ccarm6

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150 Lightning
We reserved at about the same time, I'm in Mass (A ZEV state) and got a Wave-3 invitation to order.

I think only high level Ford Corp folks know the big picture of how many invitations have been sent the first 4 waves to date. But going with the rumored 15,000 to be built in model year 22, then 4/6th of that have been sent by now +/- speculation
I’m curious how much the end of MY22 close out will be after the 6 waves, and the conversion rates of the waves. Feels like more and more people have been canceling reservations or deferring to MY23 for a sold out model. Guessing they’ll have to invite 25-35K to get their 15K filled. Also wish they would open up more to non-ZEV states or at least be more transparent about their strategy so people could plan accordingly. My truck doesn’t have much life left and I have no idea when in the next 1-1.5yrs I may get my truck

Sponsored

vacasity

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning 2022 XLT

all these people are tripping. You can install it on any breaker you need, they are adjustable chargers. Ford has realized they are selling to people with old houses that have old panels and don't want them to spend the tons extra money on upgrading their electrical just for the truck.
saying that, it would be a waste putting in an 80 amp charger on a 20amp breaker.
Per ford latest spec, you would need a 100amp breaker to fulfill the 80 amp charging.
Ford F-150 Lightning Wave 4 invitation - did you get one?? 1645498388228

Attachments

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
all these people are tripping. You can install it on any breaker you need, they are adjustable chargers. Ford has realized they are selling to people with old houses that have old panels and don't want them to spend the tons extra money on upgrading their electrical just for the truck.
saying that, it would be a waste putting in an 80 amp charger on a 20amp breaker.
Per ford latest spec, you would need a 100amp breaker to fulfill the 80 amp charging.
1645498388228.png
Every picture I've seen of the Charge Station Pro shows a CCS1 connector, not a J1772. I will wait until I actually have it in hand, but will most likely sell it since it will not work on my wife's PHEV. If it is really only a J1772, I'll have it installed and use it for my Lighting and the wife's Pacifica PHEV.

Kevin22

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Systems Test Engineer
Every picture I've seen of the Charge Station Pro shows a CCS1 connector, not a J1772. I will wait until I actually have it in hand, but will most likely sell it since it will not work on my wife's PHEV. If it is really only a J1772, I'll have it installed and use it for my Lighting and the wife's Pacifica PHEV.
Fun to watch this kind of spiral out of control. We have a new Ford Charge Station Pro. My girl wanted to have it for her new Mach E. I have an older Chevy Volt. I just got a full charge on my car this afternoon using the Ford Charge Station Pro. Works perfectly. I used our solar to charge today. Free power is a beautiful thing. She can set her Ford app to have her car charge from midnight to 5 am to get the cheapest rates after our powerwalls run down to 5%. We had the Charge Station installed after our solar was completely installed and working. We had our main panel upgraded and had a sub panel installed. Suggest everyone get a solar system and then do not have to rely on the charging grid unless you are on a road trip.

And i think that the CCS1 connector is used for DC fast charging not normal home charging

Last edited:

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Fun to watch this kind of spiral out of control. We have a new Ford Charge Station Pro. My girl wanted to have it for her new Mach E. I have an older Chevy Volt. I just got a full charge on my car this afternoon using the Ford Charge Station Pro. Works perfectly. I used our solar to charge today. Free power is a beautiful thing. She can set her Ford app to have her car charge from midnight to 5 am to get the cheapest rates after our powerwalls run down to 5%. We had the Charge Station installed after our solar was completely installed and working. We had our main panel upgraded and had a sub panel installed. Suggest everyone get a solar system and then do not have to rely on the charging grid unless you are on a road trip.

And i think that the CCS1 connector is used for DC fast charging not normal home charging
Just to confirm, you have the Ford Charge Station Pro that will be supplied to everyone that has the F150 Lighting with the extended range battery and it does not have the CCS1? If so, that is great news!

Kevin22

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Systems Test Engineer
Just to confirm, you have the Ford Charge Station Pro that will be supplied to everyone that has the F150 Lighting with the extended range battery and it does not have the CCS1? If so, that is great news!
Yes Mickey you are correct sir. However, I am not planning on getting an ER battery with my Lighting so I will not be getting a station with my purchase. If I ever get a chance to put an order in for a Lighting. The Charge Station Pro was around $800 direct from Ford. It DOES NOT have a CCS1 connector. I believe that is for DC fast charging only.

I think the kid (electrician) charged us $400 to install. Telling you - this is the way to go...that is just about the cost of a couple of trips to the gas station these days.
Ford F-150 Lightning Wave 4 invitation - did you get one?? 1645505957666
Sponsored