• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Weird Frunk Behavior

swesson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Today, I opened the frunk and left it open while it did some work. It was probably open for 30 minutes. When I went back, I couldn’t get it to close with the button underneath or with the button on the fob or inside the truck. So I turned the car on and tried again. Nope. Turned the car off and locked it for awhile. Nope.

So then I decided that maybe the motor or the sensor was confused about what state (open or shut) the frunk was in, so I manually closed it. That did the trick and it has worked ever since.

Just posting this those that might run into this in the future.
Sponsored

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
Im having a problem with mine where if i open with the key fob, it will only close with key fob. Inside button won't work. But it i open with latch, i can close with button inside or keyfob. Anyone else experience this?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Im having a problem with mine where if i open with the key fob, it will only close with key fob. Inside button won't work. But it i open with latch, i can close with button inside or keyfob. Anyone else experience this?
I haven't experienced that specifically. I have opened it with the fob and closed it with the fob. And opened it with the fob and then after loading closed it by hitting the frunk button. And I've opened it with the inside hard button near the light switch and closed it with the frunk button.

But like the OP...that has happened to me three times now. I had the frunk open to run the powersupply while programming in FDRS on three separate occasions. And at the end of my programming events after putting the powersupply away and putting the right jumper point cover back on I ended up each time closing the frunk manually because pressing the frunk button resulted in the three beeps and that's it. Once it was closed, I could press the button and it would open, and then close again after another button press. So I don't know if it has something to do with staying open for like a half-hour or what.

But yeah, mine's done that too. And as Ford will likely tell you....it's a "characteristic" of the Lightning, not a "problem" :sneaky:

Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I seem to run into this. Sometimes it just won't close with the button and have to use the key.

Last edited:

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT

Yup, everytime. I was thinking about bringing this up with the dealership, but I'm wondering if it's something that can be fixed OTA

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
I had the exactly the same problem as OP last weekend. Packing up to leave the cottage and left the frunk open for an hour or so, went to leave and the frunk wouldn't close - it played the 4 beeps error code no matter what button was pushed to close it (frunk, fob, dash). Ended up using the manual close method detailed above and it has worked fine ever since. I thought that maybe something had shifted in the packing and hit the emergency release button since that can apparently cause problems getting the frunk to close, but maybe it's a bigger issue. @Ford Motor Company might be something to look into.

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
New problem today. While closing frunk, it wouldn't latch. Had to take it up and down a couple times before it finally latched.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Thank you!
I experienced the same behavior on the first day I owned my truck. I left my Frunk open in my garage overnight, and when I came out the next morning, it wouldn’t close. Apparently, the truck “lost” the position of the Frunk lid when it “fell asleep”. I gently manually closed it…it latched…no problems since, though I don’t leave it open overnight anymore…….😎

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi there, Chris. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

The Unc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Tech
Is there any new info on this issue?
I have been experiencing this problem for a while... Frunk won't close after being open for a while. Only way to close it is ti do it manually.
Seems like a big glitch!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Is there any new info on this issue?
I have been experiencing this problem for a while... Frunk won't close after being open for a while. Only way to close it is ti do it manually.
Seems like a big glitch!
Hi there! Go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and dealer info, and I’ll look into this frunk concern for you. Thanks!
Sponsored