• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What Are The Best Winter Tires for an F 150? Blizzaks?

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
@Marcoux Your are right. The precise numvers are:
  • Weights 6,855 lbs.
  • 114T is 2,601 lbs. x 4 = 10,404 lbs. 3,549 over 6,855.
  • 115T is 2,679 lbs. x 4 = 10,716 lbs. 3,861 over 6,855.
  • 116T is 2,756 lbs. x 4 = 11,024 lbs. 4,169 over 6,855.
Ok, so I doubt that 600lbs are going to be THE difference. If Costco won't install them I'd simply purchase the tire and wheel without installation. Then either install them myself or go to another tire shop to get it installed...
Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
FWIW, Michelin’s website doesn’t list any tires with a 275/60 R20 T116 rating that I could find……..

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
@Blaster I'm stuggling with finding where on the Tire Rack site is states what that the requirement is 116. It's probably stareing me right in the eye and I'm just not seeing it. When I go through the Rire Rack "tool" to find the right tire for my Lariat, it comes up with the Blizzak 115 (just like the Costco site does.) I'll order that tiire from Sullivan Tire (or Town Fair tire) here in Boston. Thanks so much for your help.
I have the PRO with 18" tires, you can check the inside door sticker for weight ratings - my truck came with 116s installed...I think you are lucky with the 20" tires and the weight rating. Wish I could help more!

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, Telsa MY, 12 Leaf, 18 Leaf
Hands down the best Winter tires I've used have been Nokian Hakkapeliitta. Especially on an EV with crazy torque. Nothing came closs the the stopping power on the Nokian's I've had, especially on ice.

I don't have my F150L yet, but I'm definately going to shop these.

Can anyone think of a reason why the OEM F150L-Pro 18" rim wouldn't fit well on a Lariat ER?

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Hands down the best Winter tires I've used have been Nokian Hakkapeliitta. Especially on an EV with crazy torque. Nothing came closs the the stopping power on the Nokian's I've had, especially on ice.
I came here to say just that!
I know people love their Blizzaks, but then they haven't probably tried Hakkas.
Can't say I tried em on a pickup, but with the added weight in the back from the battery I'm assuming/hoping the Lightning will handle a lot more like a SUV in the snow compared to a tail happy truck.

I've had Hakkas on a lot of my cars and they handle really well in snow and slush. Past 10 years I've only used the studless ones but even so, they are pretty good on ice. If they let go on snow (as a result of an overconfident driver) they do it with control so you can still recover fairly easily. I will definitely use those on the Lightning as well.

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Anyone make the switch yet? I'd love for someone else to be the tester on some tires as far as range hit, etc.

It was in the 30s here already, looks like I have about a month to decide.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Anyone make the switch yet? I'd love for someone else to be the tester on some tires as far as range hit, etc.

It was in the 30s here already, looks like I have about a month to decide.
My lightning should be here soon. I already have winter wheels/tires. I went with the conti viking contact 7. I have hakkapellita tires on my volvos R2suv on the 2016 xc90 and R3suv on the 2022 xc40. I have no complaints with either of those. I was not sure last year if I was getting the conti tires for the xc40, but ended up with the hakkas. I also have some hakka 8 studded on my Tacoma. The hakka 10 studded would have been great, but very pricey and for our typical driving the studs are not necessary. In many of the tire reviews for the past couple years the hakka r3 and conti viking contact 7 have been in the top 3. I had blizzak dmv1 on my 2011 f150. They were kinda soft and vague feeling on warmer dry days, but they are winter tires and that is what they do. I had general altimax arctic on a Volt and yokahamma ig 20s on a bolt. All of these tires were way better than the all season tires on the same vehicles. I don't know that I would get the worst performing winter tire over a great all season 3pmsf tire, but if you get winter conditions and will be driving on those conditions I would prefer to have a well regarded winter tire over any all season.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I've also used Vikings on other vehicles and have a favorable impression. If they are rated correctly for the Lightning, I may go with them based on prior experience.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I've also used Vikings on other vehicles and have a favorable impression. If they are rated correctly for the Lightning, I may go with them based on prior experience.
275 65 18 116xl.

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
Maybe, but from my experience, they don't always check the specifics of a tire after they have already been purchased. It's a seasonal on/off scenario for them...as long as they fit and they look to be the right size, they don't always take the time to check the weight rating before installing simply because it wasn't purchased from them.

Is it a potentiel liability? Sure. But as I have already stated above, there is very little that could go wrong with using a 114r on a Lightning. Unless you plan on doing some heavy payload with heavy towing in the winter, which for me, is not ever going to happen. In the summer? For sure. Not in the winter.

Sponsored

96161Lightning

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volkswagen ID.4, 2022 Lighnting Lariat ER
I opted to go with the Blizzak LT instead of the DM-V2 to account for the higher weight. They will likely ride a little stiff, but I expect I will get better life out of the tire.

OP
OP
FirstF150InCasco

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I opted to go with the Blizzak LT instead of the DM-V2 to account for the higher weight. They will likely ride a little stiff, but I expect I will get better life out of the tire.
The Bridgestone site says the LT does not fit my Lightning (Lariat). Bridgestone site recommends the DM-V2. I'm confused.

96161Lightning

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volkswagen ID.4, 2022 Lighnting Lariat ER
The Bridgestone site says the LT does not fit my Lightning (Lariat). Bridgestone site recommends the DM-V2. I'm confused.
I went with a 265 vs 275, I don't think they have a 275 in the LT.
Sponsored