• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What are you getting mile per kWh while towing?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'm going to rewind a bit here. Have you tried setting the route in ABRP and then setting the reference consumption to roughly double? Does it suggest a route? Looking at the map in plugshare, I can't imagine that there's not a route that will allow you to make it, yes you may have to travel further, but it probably will be needed to make the trip.
In plug share, there is also an option for 'home chargers'. This is people who are willing to let you charge at their home, it's going to be lvl2 but if it's the difference between making it and not making it then that may be the only option.
Also is there some sort of charging at the destination, you said it's 115 miles one way, but what are the plans to make the return trip?
Sponsored

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra. Model Y and Lightning on order
I don’t know what ABRP stands for? Sorry. I haven’t put it in PlugShare or the Lightning’s GPS. There are a few chargers out of the way but all 3 of them are broken and have been for quite some time.
I have a charger at the end destination, there’s just nothing in between. So if I can make it down, I can recharge and make it back.

Webbo85

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Mech Engineer
A Better Route Planner (www.ABRP.com). Great trip planning website/app. I’m in PA and I understand the wasteland, but check out PlugShare, not many level 3 chargers but plenty of level 2 chargers in area. Trip will be very flat so may just need a short stop to make it.
where is your general start and end point?

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have PlugShare, great app, that’s how I know the other chargers are down. Newark DE to Ocean City MD. I’ll look into the other app as well, thank you.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'd hit the Hyundai dealership in Salisbury

Sponsored
OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s about the same distance but much further away from my final destination.
I used the trip planner on PlugShare but it doesn’t account for towing so it says I’ll make it fine which I’ve done this trip plenty of times before just not towing.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I have PlugShare, great app, that’s how I know the other chargers are down. Newark DE to Ocean City MD. I’ll look into the other app as well, thank you.
If you’re going from Newark to Ocean City I would do one of two things.

1. It’s the first tow, take the safe, long route. That’s taking 301/50 which adds 30 miles/20 min to your trip, but has DCFC. The faster charging will cover that 30 miles over futzing with a L2 on the more direct route.

2. Test tow. Do 30-50 miles with the boat in tow. If you’re comfortable with it, the. Head down the normal way.

I have driven down 301 and will say that I usually get better efficiency (~20%) going south than north. Be careful on the return.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone ever charged from a generator in the bed while driving?
You CAN NOT drive and charge for safety reasons and it's electronically blocked

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
You CAN NOT drive and charge for safety reasons and it's electronically blocked
Ford F-150 Lightning What are you getting mile per kWh while towing? 1682775091713

I mean technically it's as simple as matching voltages at the battery itself. You can bypass all that electronic stuff. How bad could it be? I'm thinking a couple of T-Taps directly to the battery and use some beefy 16 gauge wire.

Just make sure to use some electrical tape for weather proofing.
Ford F-150 Lightning What are you getting mile per kWh while towing? 1682775679416

Fool proof.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
1682775091713.png

I mean technically it's as simple as matching voltages at the battery itself. You can bypass all that electronic stuff. How bad could it be? I'm thinking a couple of T-Taps directly to the battery and use some beefy 16 gauge wire.

Just make sure to use some electrical tape for weather proofing.
1682775679416.png

Fool proof.

LOL

Ford F-150 Lightning What are you getting mile per kWh while towing? {filename}

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just picked up the boat from storage, 13 miles away 5 of those miles at highway. At 60mph I was getting 0.9-1.0. At 50-55 I was getting 1.0-1.1. Averaged 1.2 for the entire trip which 8 of those miles are stop and go 45-50mph. I had the boat cover on and I think that made it worse.
I put in the Lightning’s GPS and it showed I would make it with 13% battery life left and that was starting with about 85%, best I could do is get there with 95% but we all know how inaccurate the GPS range is with towing. Not looking good though.

Webbo85

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Mech Engineer
So if I put 1.0 m/kWh into ABRP, it recommends 2 quick stops on the trip down and you end up at 10%. Annoying, but can be done.

Ford F-150 Lightning What are you getting mile per kWh while towing? IMG_0004

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Lariat ER pulling my 28’ Winnebago for the first time today. Heading mainly north with a 13-15 mph steady wind out of the NW. Trailer loaded is around 6200 lbs. the terrain is steady rolling hills for 90 miles.
Driving a steady 50 mph I averaged 1.0 mile per KWH. I was conservative pulling this trailer that far with the wind for the first time.

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Both of those stops, the chargers are broken, apparently they aren’t fixing them either. So I have to make it all in one shot or not at all.

1.0mi/kWh unfortunately won’t cut it. I do have a lot of slower driving and it’s all flat but still very very risky.
Sponsored