• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

✅ 1/9/2023 Lightning Build Week Group (MY2023)

EVMainer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius, Volt, F150 Lightning Pro
What about April?

Did you hear some news that I didn't?
Just that with the re-start at the factories they'll be sending any excess battery production to "fix" the recalled trucks (and presumably ours as well). April is just the next estimated delivery date for me, but unless the battery production is outpacing truck production by a decent margin I'm not sure we should expect our trucks anytime soon. Then again, I'm just guessing, and Ford certainly is telling anyone anything!
Sponsored

Its PJ Bia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO
The fact that we can call the number Ford provided which takes us to their marketing team, and the conversation always goes like this for the past month and a half is disappointing to say the least.

1. Is my truck affected? A: "I don't have that information"
2. When will the stop shipment be removed? A: "I don't have that information"
3. Will my truck need to go back to Michigan to be fixed? A: "I don't have that information"

"As soon as we have any new information, we will be sure to let you know"

😤

Last edited:

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
The fact that we can call the number Ford provided which takes us to their marketing team, and the conversation always goes like this for the past month and a half is disappointing to say the least.

1. Is my truck affected? A: "I don't have that information"
2. When will the stop shipment be removed? A: "I don't have that information
3. Will my truck need to go back to Michigan to be fixed? A: "I don't have that information"

"As soon as we have any new information, we will be sure to let you know"

😤

This is so true.

It's always a waste of my time.

Very disappointing.

EVMainer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Root cause of the fire, recall, and our delays has been released. They must be real pissed at the battery supplier!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford...-reveals-cause-of-battery-fire-173034051.html
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V168-8458.PDF

Great bit of info in the actual report that the suspect production window is Jan 20-Jan 26 for the recalled trucks. I wonder how large the production window is for ALL the vehicles they’ll be replacing battery packs for, and how many. We’ll probably never know.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TaxmanHog

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired

EVMainer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My Pro went into production 1/13, but didn't have a built status till 1/22. It also seems that the recall report is only addressing the 18 trucks that made it into customer hands, but it's entirely possible that the final week of production before the stop (build week of 1/30) would be affected as well. So if ALL of us in build week 1/9 were affected, all the way through the final trucks built before they stopped, it could be as many as 2,973 trucks produced that would need their batteries swapped. Probably not quite that many, but it's possible.

Hopefully Ford is able to pull down the battery pack and check the modules to see when the manufacturing defect in the cells started to occur, and clear the other trucks to go.

I wonder how quickly SK Battery America is going to be able to ramp up production?

Its PJ Bia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO
Mine went into production on 1/13, built status on 1/20. Still not holding my breath for a fast turn around here unfortunately. Thanks for the read though!

OP
OP
TaxmanHog

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Hopefully Ford is able to pull down the battery pack and check the modules to see when the manufacturing defect in the cells started to occur, and clear the other trucks to go.
I suspect (without verification) that the modules are tracked by serialized /barcoding and inventoried into each of the pack assembly's, and further down the production line, the association of a pack to a truck vin.

If this is true, they may have a very close projection of how many trucks are affected.

Sponsored

EVMainer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I suspect (without verification) that the modules are tracked by serialized /barcoding and inventoried into each of the pack assembly's, and further down the production line, the association of a pack to a truck vin.

If this is true, they may have a very close projection of how many trucks are affected.
I'm sure they are tracking this closely, but certainly won't be sharing any of this information more widely than than are required to by law.

EVMainer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In other news looks like Treasury is finally going to getting out their final guidance, just in time to cut the expected tax credit on my truck by $3750. One more reason I'm salty about this whole situation. Still a great deal on the truck, but being out $3750 still blows (especially if my truck gets delivered only a few days too late.)

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...-battery-sourcing-rules-next-week-2023-03-22/

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer

I agree with your assumption - as my blend date was 1/12 and shipment was made 1/22, but held in a yard outside Nashville, TN for about 10 days. I took delivery on 2/22 and have had no issues. Other than figuring out how to make all the personal settings. The two things I miss the most from my MMe are the heated steering wheel and the seat setting memory. Overall, I love my XLT. :love:

EVMainer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If anyone wants to really nerd out you can find some other cool info in the other recall docs.

Dealer Bulletin
Of note,
- Estimated 3.6 hours of labor to replace the battery pack

Chronology of Events
Of note,
- They did a CT scan of the burned up truck to identify the ignition point
- They identified batteries produce at SK between December 14, 2022, to January 17, 2023 as being suspect.

The 18 recalled vehicles are as follows,
Ford F-150 Lightning ✅ 1/9/2023 Lightning Build Week Group (MY2023) Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 2.22.41 PM

EVMainer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If anyone wants to really nerd out you can find some other cool info in the other recall docs.

Dealer Bulletin
Of note,
- Estimated 3.6 hours of labor to replace the battery pack

Chronology of Events
Of note,
- They did a CT scan of the burned up truck to identify the ignition point
- They identified batteries produce at SK between December 14, 2022, to January 17, 2023 as being suspect.

The 18 recalled vehicles are as follows,
Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 2.22.41 PM.png
So on the VIN the 8th digit (L) is for "dual electric motors with standard range battery", the 9th is a check digit, the 10th (P) is the model year "2023", the 11th (W) is the production plant "Rouge Electric, Dearborn MI", 12-17 are sequential. So I think it is safe to assume AT LEAST those that fall between the 07639 and 11054 are gonna need new battery packs.

Source for the VIN info.
Sponsored