• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for posting. Great interview and interesting to hear it directly from the ‘Boss.’

Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I enjoyed the video and found it informative. I question the statement that Tesla initially declined Ford’s offer to switch to NACS, though. Tesla announced the NACS standard in November, 2022 in a flowery announcement inviting everyone to join them.

Ford didn’t announce the switch to NACS until May of last year. Why would they require much convincing to something they were publicly offering for almost six months?

Otherwise, I loved the interview. Jim Farley seems to understand the value of customer experience and loyalty, and I’m looking forward to where we’re going from here!

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
There is a difference between Tesla opening the standard and open their superchargers. While I think that was always the goal to open the supercharger network, I don’t think Tesla would have done as soon as they did without Ford.
From the Tesla 11/22 press release:

Tesla said:
Similarly, we look forward to future electric vehicles incorporating the NACS design and charging at Tesla’s North American Supercharging and Destination Charging networks.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I enjoyed the video and found it informative. I question the statement that Tesla initially declined Ford’s offer to switch to NACS, though. Tesla announced the NACS standard in November, 2022 in a flowery announcement inviting everyone to join them.

Ford didn’t announce the switch to NACS until May of last year. Why would they require much convincing to something they were publicly offering for almost six months?

Otherwise, I loved the interview. Jim Farley seems to understand the value of customer experience and loyalty, and I’m looking forward to where we’re going from here!
First, his video clearly states that he personally talked to Elon 2-years ago. Secondly, Doug talked to his contacts prior. So both were before the initial announcement that Tesla was releasing their plug to be a standard.

Then the other consideration is, there is also the thought Tesla had planned on opening up NACS, but not the supercharger network at this point. I suspect the end game was to get industry to switch to NACS so Tesla drivers didn’t need to us an adapter moreover allowing non-teslas to charge on a super charger.

Sponsored

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I would trust Farley’s view and/or timeline of events more than Elon’s

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Thank you. Jim's a rock star, IMO.
Great interview. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall on that conversation when Jim convinced Elon. How? What promises were made?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Nice video and interview. Finally good to hear it from Jim the story of how it all happened. I'd be a bit amiss though if we don't recognize that Jim had a blind eye for a while - all he had to do was listen to his customers and those Charging Angels which were brought up more than once. He didn't. He says it all happened because of personal experience on a road trip with his kids who noticed the Tesla Superchargers. I'm sure he did hear the resounding complaints, but too bad he didn't act just on them and it took his own personal experience to get us here. Where is that in listening to your customers. hmmm.
Sponsored