• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ER getting SR range at 80%

jmill27

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning lariat
To preface this question: I have a heated garage. It is currently set at 70 degrees.

last night I charged my truck to 80% and this morning my range was at 200 miles. Normally my truck is around 260 miles in the mornings but for whatever reason this morning it was at 200.

The only thing that changed or may have affected this is that I received a new update also last night. Other than that, everything was as usual: I plugged in after work, I received a notification that charging was completed. The truck was warm and ready to go when I got in: however, the truck was only at 200 miles compared to the usual 260.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? All I see for explanations are about temperature, but the temperature is at 70 in my garage.

thanks!
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
To preface this question: I have a heated garage. It is currently set at 70 degrees.

last night I charged my truck to 80% and this morning my range was at 200 miles. Normally my truck is around 260 miles in the mornings but for whatever reason this morning it was at 200.

The only thing that changed or may have affected this is that I received a new update also last night. Other than that, everything was as usual: I plugged in after work, I received a notification that charging was completed. The truck was warm and ready to go when I got in: however, the truck was only at 200 miles compared to the usual 260.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? All I see for explanations are about temperature, but the temperature is at 70 in my garage.

thanks!
The range is just a guess based on temperature and recent driving. It is possible that some update will have an impact on this guess, but it has no impact on your actual range. Here is an example:

I have an SR battery. Yesterday morning my range showed a projected range of around 280 miles (I do mostly local surface street driving and drive like an old lady). I drove it to the dealer to replace LVB. The trip was 20 miles on a freeway driving at 80 MPH each way. While there, the dealer also did some updates (they said it took 6 hours and not doubt ate some HVB charge without putting on any miles). So now my projected range is 218 miles. Nothing real changed. In the next few weeks my projected range will climb back, so I'm not worried.

Reactions: cal

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Sometimes I see battery temp bar lower and when I start moving, it quickly goes to the middle. It may be using the old/wrong numbers initially to calculate the range. Like battery temp, when you turned off the truck the day before. Just guessing here.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
If there was a minimum post requirement to start a thread it would force new users to use the search feature and these threads would go away.

To suggest this site feature use the "Contact Us" option in the site menu. @TaxmanHog can you verify this is the best way to make changes to the forum?

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Wow, rough crowd this morning.

The truck uses outside temperatures, uses the last practices, and sometimes I think forgets all history... to determine the "range".

The truck will perform just as it has before if the route remains the same. Watch the charge level of the high voltage battery and your consumption rate (miles/watt). If those are normal, no worries.

Example: We are retired, some days we pickup a sandwich take the truck to the wayside and watch the Pacific waves, while enjoying the heated comfort inside the truck. The next day the "range" is about 3/4 of normal.

OP
OP

jmill27

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning lariat
Wow, rough crowd this morning.

The truck uses outside temperatures, uses the last practices, and sometimes I think forgets all history... to determine the "range".

The truck will perform just as it has before if the route remains the same. Watch the charge level of the high voltage battery and your consumption rate (miles/watt). If those are normal, no worries.

Example: We are retired, some days we pickup a sandwich take the truck to the wayside and watch the Pacific waves, while enjoying the heated comfort inside the truck. The next day the "range" is about 3/4 of normal.
I appreciate your response. I’ve had the truck since December. I live in NC and I am aware of the subtle changes in the state of charge.
This mornings state of charge is drastically different than my charge from 3 days ago, last week, last month when it was even colder. Even when we had several days below freezing, I would still have my 80% charge around 240. So having my charge at 200 when it was 46 degrees outside my garage (70 inside my garage) was out of the norm.

I’ve owned an EV since 2018. I had an 85D Model S and put 120k miles on it. I am aware of what the temperature does. IMO Ford has a better range predicting mechanism in their software than Tesla.

I’ve read through multiple threads on similar topics: none of which matched my observation. Majority of the threads are due to severe cold or drastic temperature changes. In my case, there is no severe cold nor drastic temperature changes. I have observed over the past 4 months my 80% SOC vary from 250-265. Seeing my SOC 80% at 200 this morning is why I am inquiring due to the variables not matching any of the other threads I’ve researched.

Thanks.

Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Any chance you have kept one of your trip active the entire time you have had the truck? Mine for my 5k miles right now says 2.1 miles/kWh, so at 80% of your 131 battery this is 220.08 miles.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
To get the EPA range on these truck would need I think 2.3 to 2.4 m/kWh, which unless you live down hill with a tail wind both ways every day won't happen.

Reading your post above, no way you were averging 2.4+ m/kWh for those old range guess. You have more miles in an EV then me for sure, but as far as I've seen we are luck to get 2 m/kWh so that is my planning number.

Be happy you don't have a SR at least

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
To suggest this site feature use the "Contact Us" option in the site menu. @TaxmanHog can you verify this is the best way to make changes to the forum?
I don't know if the operators of this forum desire to inhibit communication in that fashion, but tagging @Administrator also may help.

Many of us, present company included want to be helpful, but if we don't respond to common questions then they will be compelled to search for the answer.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Any chance you have kept one of your trip active the entire time you have had the truck? Mine for my 5k miles right now says 2.1 miles/kWh, so at 80% of your 131 battery this is 220.08 miles.
Thank you for putting math to the conversation.

I love all these post that overlook the simple math of 131*SOC*avg kWm= possible mileage until you are pushing.

Sure I use the GOM as a loose gauge too, but not to the level other people seem too, but I am very analytical by nature🤷‍♂️

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
I have observed over the past 4 months my 80% SOC vary from 250-265. Seeing my SOC 80% at 200 this morning is why I am inquiring due to the variables not matching any of the other threads I’ve researched.
I haven't experienced that much of a swing. Did you receive a OTA update recently?
Sponsored