• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ER getting SR range at 80%

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
These posts will never end.
Hate the game and the referee (Ford), not the players!!!!!

Fair question, IMO. I recently started just watching the % State of Charge and doing the math to figure out my miles. But it is hard to ignore the miles, because it is so prominent.

On my morning commute yesterday at 45 F, according to the GOM, I "consumed" 62 miles on a 37 mile commute. That blows!!! But I got over it quickly.
Sponsored

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
To get the EPA range on these truck would need I think 2.3 to 2.4 m/kWh, which unless you live down hill with a tail wind both ways every day won't happen.

Reading your post above, no way you were averging 2.4+ m/kWh for those old range guess. You have more miles in an EV then me for sure, but as far as I've seen we are luck to get 2 m/kWh so that is my planning number.

Be happy you don't have a SR at least

I've only had my truck a few weeks but I've already been experimenting a lot with the range. I've been determined to figure out how to hit EPA 320 range consistently.

For me, I've figured it out. That damn heat is SO expensive. I have a 47 mile commute each way, with speeds up to 65 for about half of it.

I've learned that if I wear a jacket, turn the AC/Heat off and just run the seat warmers and heated steering wheel... I can get over 2.4mi/kwh pretty easily actually.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
last night I charged my truck to 80% and this morning my range was at 200 miles.
80% is the break point for when the GOM get's super optimistic, typically when I'm under that value the DTE is lower, you may be in the fractional edge of that value though it displays 80% the DTE calculation might be using another value which is under 80% ie. rounding / truncation errors.

Try an experiment, charge to 75% one day note the morning DTE, then repeat with 80%, 85% the following days, you will notice a substantial and disproportionate bump of the DTE with the higher SOC percentages.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I’ve read through multiple threads on similar topics: none of which matched my observation. Majority of the threads are due to severe cold or drastic temperature changes. In my case, there is no severe cold nor drastic temperature changes. I have observed over the past 4 months my 80% SOC vary from 250-265. Seeing my SOC 80% at 200 this morning is why I am inquiring due to the variables not matching any of the other threads I’ve researched.

Thanks.
You said you got an update at the same time. Which one? Did you read the thread on it? As @Pioneer74 said, your range did not change. But something upset the GOM.

Drive your regular way for a few days and see if this observation still exists.

Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I'm sorry I mean no disrespect but no way I'm driving a 70k+ truck without heat to hit a range number. I also don't think we should be so worked up if your daily use is with the range to go out and come home, just charge it up.

Recently I've switched my charging habits to charge fully, drive till I'm at 35 to 45% battery level, then Plug in and charge to 100%. This is about 4-5 days depending on what I'm doing normally.

Range and efficiency really only matters when you have to road trip this beast, and you all really want to avoid almost all of Mississippi if you don't want to experience true range anxiety lol.

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm sorry I mean no disrespect but no way I'm driving a 70k+ truck without heat to hit a range number. I also don't think we should be so worked up if your daily use is with the range to go out and come home, just charge it up.

Recently I've switched my charging habits to charge fully, drive till I'm at 35 to 45% battery level, then Plug in and charge to 100%. This is about 4-5 days depending on what I'm doing normally.

Range and efficiency really only matters when you have to road trip this beast, and you all really want to avoid almost all of Mississippi if you don't want to experience true range anxiety lol.

I understand not wanting to feel limited in feature use in an expensive truck. My wife was upset with me when I told her that her 78 degree temp the other day was killing my vibe!

But.. I do have a long daily commute. I want to charge to 80% most days to protect the longevity of the battery. So range does matter to me. Also, I financially made this decision based upon the fuel savings I was gaining. So making that range number plays a big part in making that savings I am banking on.

Either way, I didn't mean to imply I was uncomfortable in the drive, it actually felt just fine, and I was really surprised to see that range number grow.. a lot!

So it's possible, just depends what you do with it.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
To preface this question: I have a heated garage. It is currently set at 70 degrees.

last night I charged my truck to 80% and this morning my range was at 200 miles. Normally my truck is around 260 miles in the mornings but for whatever reason this morning it was at 200.

The only thing that changed or may have affected this is that I received a new update also last night. Other than that, everything was as usual: I plugged in after work, I received a notification that charging was completed. The truck was warm and ready to go when I got in: however, the truck was only at 200 miles compared to the usual 260.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? All I see for explanations are about temperature, but the temperature is at 70 in my garage.

thanks!
Best guess is a combination of Taxman's hunch about the GOM's optimism curve and the update mucking up your driving habit input. I second the idea to reset your driving record and give it a few days. Additionally, monitor how much SOC is used for your commute. I note mine daily and it's very consistent at 6-7% to work and 7-8% to home. If I deviate much from that I start looking for what other factors may have influenced it and 100% of the time I can find a reason for it. Range indicator is next to useless, if I could I'd replace the big range number with a big SOC number.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I understand not wanting to feel limited in feature use in an expensive truck. My wife was upset with me when I told her that her 78 degree temp the other day was killing my vibe!

But.. I do have a long daily commute. I want to charge to 80% most days to protect the longevity of the battery. So range does matter to me. Also, I financially made this decision based upon the fuel savings I was gaining. So making that range number plays a big part in making that savings I am banking on.

Either way, I didn't mean to imply I was uncomfortable in the drive, it actually felt just fine, and I was really surprised to see that range number grow.. a lot!

So it's possible, just depends what you do with it.
Since I live in a warmer climate I do the same thing. Jacket and seat warmer is all I need to be comfortable unless it gets below freezing. Then I pop on the heat. I get 2.8mpk for my 55mile round trip commute. 2.5mpk over my 20k miles (5k from road trips).

Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I understand the OP’s question because he’s coming from Tesla, which use miles as a proxy for available energy.

Ford, Kia, Hyundai, and most others don’t have a direct relationship because they use recent conditions to calculate range. To put it another way, Tesla miles are another way of writing battery percentage.

I like the GOM for what it is, but I don’t try to infer battery capacity or health with it.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible

My truck was only 40k so I'm good with no heat. :ROFLMAO: Seriously I don't care anymore for normal daily driving, which is normally 50-70 miles. My first winter I drove cold once in awhile, no more.

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Since I live in a warmer climate I do the same thing. Jacket and seat warmer is all I need to be comfortable unless it gets below freezing. Then I pop on the heat. I get 2.8mpk for my 55mile round trip commute. 2.5mpk over my 20k miles (5k from road trips).
That's fantastic range in such a large/useful truck size.

This this is just awesome. Wish more people realized what they're missing.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Honestly, the secret is to simply live somewhere with temps that are practically never below 50F. Don't need heat when it's 80F in March.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honestly, the secret is to simply live somewhere with temps that are practically never below 50F. Don't need heat when it's 80F in March.
To be fair, I did notice a 10% hit to efficiency in the middle of the summer. But yeah, warm weather climates are fantastic for EV range.
Sponsored